• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it normal for Ryzen to hit 74c

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Thanks for the advice. When i first put the cooler on with the stock AMD pad on there, i took it off again because it was interfering with the motherboards heatsink.

That might be why then, taking it off then putting it straight back on using the existing paste pad will have probably caused air to get trapped between the heatsink and IHS

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I'm interested. What another profile?

There should be 3 "Ryzen" power profiles to choose from (if the chipset drivers have installed correctly)

There should be;

Ryzen power saver

Ryzen balanced

Ryzen High performance

If you only see balanced, it could mean the chipset drivers haven't installed correctly and you aren't getting the full benefit of Ryzens power saving features

Soldato
OP
Well ive taken the cooler off and replaced it using some AS 3. Seems better to me. It was absolutely caked in the crud AMD use as stock. I did notce the backplate fell of rather unhelpfully, on the motherboard i mean. Took off cleaned up and in bios i was @ 34c. in windows its been 42c - 70c tops. So its better but i will need a better cooler.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Well ive taken the cooler off and replaced it using some AS 3. Seems better to me. It was absolutely caked in the crud AMD use as stock. I did notce the backplate fell of rather unhelpfully, on the motherboard i mean. Took off cleaned up and in bios i was @ 34c. in windows its been 42c - 70c tops. So its better but i will need a better cooler.

70c is much much better. What was that doing? If it doesn't go much above 75c stock in a cinebench run you're sorted.

Permabanned
There should be 3 "Ryzen" power profiles to choose from (if the chipset drivers have installed correctly)

There should be;

Ryzen power saver

Ryzen balanced

Ryzen High performance

If you only see balanced, it could mean the chipset drivers haven't installed correctly and you aren't getting the full benefit of Ryzens power saving features

With U-processors, there are only 2 available profiles - Ryzen Balanced and Windows' Balanced.
This is just so for mobiles.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
With U-processors, there are only 2 available profiles - Ryzen Balanced and Windows' Balanced.
This is just so for mobiles.
Ahh right sorry. Thought we were on about desktop cpu and chipset

That was after running gears 5. I've been keeping a good eye on it today and I'm running very stabely today. Fingers crossed. :)

Good stuff. That's a massive drop from the last temperature it was on gears 5. 70c with the stealth cooler is fine.

Soldato
If memory serves me right from some testing last week, House heating off my 3600 around 28deg C on idle, Around 34 deg C with it on and under Cinebench CPU test it looks like it maxed out at 67degC. Using A dark rock pro 4 cooler though.

Soldato
OP
I've been looking a this cooler. What model is yours? Is it BK021 or BK022 and what's the difference? Looks nice and performance is great.

Ah my bad. One is dark rock and one is dark rock pro. Still don't know difference though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been looking a this cooler. What model is yours? Is it BK021 or BK022 and what's the difference? Looks nice and performance is great.

Ah my bad. One is dark rock and one is dark rock pro. Still don't know difference though.

The dark rock has a single tower with one fan where as the pro is a dual tower with two fans in push pull setup.
I bought a b-grade one on here for £57. Looks new.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Dark Rock 4 or Pro is the way forward it appears with these new AMD Ryzen chips, am still quiet surprised AMD use bubble gum under their stock heat sinks given its such a ole problem between Intel and AMD stock heatsinks in the past.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Intel Stock Heat Sinks? you don't get Box Coolers with Intel

oh wasn't aware the new intel cpus didn't come with any heatsinks, I was on about the old intel ones with those frustrating push clip mechanisms that would drive you mad if one did not click but the other 3 did.

Really not sure why AMD put on these bubble gum thermal pads on their stock heat sinks, when they could have attached a small packet with thermal paste.

Soldato
I thought the 3600 and above came with a Wraith Spire/Prism but it looks like the 3600 gets the Wraith Stealth which is not the best for such a hot chip. A cheap-ish upgrade would be a £20 Wraith Prism or try and get one from MM/ebay for less. How does the AMD CPU warranty work if the cooler has been sold? Think most 3900X owners will have a Wraith Prism sat on a shelf not used.

Caporegime
oh wasn't aware the new intel cpus didn't come with any heatsinks, I was on about the old intel ones with those frustrating push clip mechanisms that would drive you mad if one did not click but the other 3 did.

Really not sure why AMD put on these bubble gum thermal pads on their stock heat sinks, when they could have attached a small packet with thermal paste.

Inexpensive cooler, cheap thermal compound.

I thought the 3600 and above came with a Wraith Spire/Prism but it looks like the 3600 gets the Wraith Stealth which is not the best for such a hot chip. A cheap-ish upgrade would be a £20 Wraith Prism or try and get one from MM/ebay for less. How does the AMD CPU warranty work if the cooler has been sold?

Agreed, i have the 3600, tho i have never used the Box Cooler it is too small, i can see that, its a chunk of alloy like an inch thick yet still better than the coolers Intel used to supply which was even smaller, the fan on the Raith Stealth is the same as it is on the Spire, its actually is pretty good for what it is.

I would advise anyone with a 3600 to spend about £20 on an after market cooler, it will do the job much better. ironically if you want to keep the AMD theme going with some RGB AMD's own Wraith Prism can be had for £20, for a 3600 that is a good cooler. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-wraith-prism-am4-cpu-cooler-hs-001-am.html

If you shop around you can get a pretty good AIO for not much money, which will keep the temps right down.

I bough this one for £40, stress testing temps never go above the low 60's.

http://www.deepcool.com/product/LiquidCooler/2018-11/209_10014.shtml

Soldato
OP
That deepcool looks really impressive. Is it quiet?

I took a punt on that deepcool L120 im only losing 39.99 if its crap. Itll do until I purchase the darkrock pro. Mines just a static red but it doesnt bother me as itll go with my Red Devil and The red back glow of the Tomahawk max.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom