Misinformation

Caporegime
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...-poland-western-left-still-playing-apologist/

Fantastic article and we'll worth a read. Not just because of the poignancy of the date given that so few first hand survivors are now alive but because it really hits on the whitewashing of history or the...misrepresentation of facts. Something we so frequently see on these forums at the minute (Iran shipnapping thread for example).

Is there anything that can be done to stop the true events of the recent past being forgotten?

Edit: site is behind a paywall but for some reason works fine on mobile browsers

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don’t have much to say other than I am very amused by the thread title when the caption for the first photo in that article is:

Eight years ago the Soviets invaded Poland, and started World War II

:D

Soldato
Keep talking about the truth. Unfortunately in todays society people take as gospel what is written in media reports. Also a lot of media reports are based on opinion spouting the official line on things. People rarely even ask questions these days of what they are reading.

P.S. the quote function isn't working properly. I was replying to OP.

Man of Honour
Keep talking about the truth. Unfortunately in todays society people take as gospel what is written in media reports. Also a lot of media reports are based on opinion spouting the official line on things. People rarely even ask questions these days of what they are reading.

P.S. the quote function isn't working properly. I was replying to OP.

Problem is people look for what they want to believe and in this day and age on the internet you can find (if you don't question it) confirmation of almost any perspective. Also so many people who believe what those they aspire to tell them to believe.

I find it alarming these days just how much people can filter just what they want to see - the level of myopia when it comes to what they want to believe I can't wrap my head around - I couldn't do that to myself though I'm sure to some degree or other we are all guilty of it - but I couldn't read something that challenged my beliefs and simply dismiss it out of hand like so many do.

Man of Honour
Problem is people look for what they want to believe and in this day and age on the internet you can find (if you don't question it) confirmation of almost any perspective. Also so many people who believe what those they aspire to tell them to believe.

I find it alarming these days just how much people can filter just what they want to see - the level of myopia when it comes to what they want to believe I can't wrap my head around - I couldn't do that to myself though I'm sure to some degree or other we are all guilty of it - but I couldn't read something that challenged my beliefs and simply dismiss it out of hand like so many do.

I think another (large) part of the problem is that most modern sources of information are deliberately set up to feed each person confirmation only. Sometimes only confirming what the person already believes, constantly reinforcing it, and sometimes only confirming what the people controlling the source want everyone to believe, but very rarely offering either unbiased reporting or a selection of different biases. Businesses like Google and Facebook have made vast fortunes manipulating people that way. It's their business model and it works very well.

Man of Honour
I think another (large) part of the problem is that most modern sources of information are deliberately set up to feed each person confirmation only. Sometimes only confirming what the person already believes, constantly reinforcing it, and sometimes only confirming what the people controlling the source want everyone to believe, but very rarely offering either unbiased reporting or a selection of different biases. Businesses like Google and Facebook have made vast fortunes manipulating people that way. It's their business model and it works very well.

Yeah that is a good observation.

Soldato
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...-poland-western-left-still-playing-apologist/

Fantastic article and we'll worth a read. Not just because of the poignancy of the date given that so few first hand survivors are now alive but because it really hits on the whitewashing of history or the...misrepresentation of facts. Something we so frequently see on these forums at the minute (Iran shipnapping thread for example).

Is there anything that can be done to stop the true events of the recent past being forgotten?

Edit: site is behind a paywall but for some reason works fine on mobile browsers

What is forgotten or misrepresented?

Soldato
As I pointed out using a mobile browser is a workaround.
Not with mine..

I don't think it's necessarily forgotten but it's not as well known as the Nazi invasion because of the escalation afterwards to the second world war. If we had also gone to another world war with the Soviets (excluding cold war) and it had affected the UK in a similar way we'd all be taught about it so would know more about it.

Caporegime
OP
Not with mine..

I don't think it's necessarily forgotten but it's not as well known as the Nazi invasion because of the escalation afterwards to the second world war. If we had also gone to another world war with the Soviets (excluding cold war) and it had affected the UK in a similar way we'd all be taught about it so would know more about it.

One of the points in the article though is that Russia are actively censoring the fact. They're now teaching in their schools that the war started in 1941 with the Nazi invasion of Russia.

Soldato
One of the points in the article though is that Russia are actively censoring the fact. They're now teaching in their schools that the war started in 1941 with the Nazi invasion of Russia.

Fair point, as unable to view I didn't see that. Obviously that's far from the truth and it will be skewed towards making the Russians look like the hero's. I've been to Oranianberg (sp?) Labour camp near Berlin that was used by the Soviets after the war as well as Nazis during and you see some of the atrocities. However, even our teaching is biased, we get taught about the London blitz but not about flattening Cologne for example. Now we weren't the aggressors but there's always an element of misinformation or biased information everywhere in History.

Back
Top Bottom