X and Pro still a thing??

Permabanned
Quick question my cousin as said he wants a ps4 pro from crimbo(because apparently we are talking about that now...)

My question is with the new consoles coming next year and the death of the Xbox one and ps4 soon after, will the "Xbox one X" and "PS4 Pro" also be killed off?

Man of Honour
Quick question my cousin as said he wants a ps4 pro from crimbo(because apparently we are talking about that now...)

My question is with the new consoles coming next year and the death of the Xbox one and ps4 soon after, will the "Xbox one X" and "PS4 Pro" also be killed off?

Yep, developers move on pretty quickly after the release of a new console these days.

Man of Honour
Would imagine that they'll release the new consoles as upgrades rather than a new line that replaces the last one, like Xbox One X and S. No reason games won't be backwards compatible

Games have been limited by the weak CPUs in the current consoles for a while. Games that make use of the more powerful CPUs can't just be down-scaled like you can do with resolution for weaker GPUs (the main difference between the One S/X and the PS4/Pro is the GPU).

There will definitely be games that are not backwards compatible with the older systems.

Soldato
This is looking like it'll be the first time where Sony/Microsoft may actually create new consoles which are compatible with current gen consoles and could actually run literally the same games given the hardware will be likely be based on a similar PC style x86 platform.

It'll be interesting to see what they decide to do? Will they run the same games at higher graphical fidelity alongside PS4/xb1/X/pro or will we see a clean break between the systems as with every previous console generation.

There will definitely be games that are not backwards compatible with the older systems.

That's a certainty at some point in future but whether it'll be the case at launch I'm not sure?

Man of Honour
This is looking like it'll be the first time where Sony/Microsoft may actually create new consoles which are compatible with current gen consoles and could actually run literally the same games given the hardware will be likely be based on a similar PC style x86 platform.

It'll be interesting to see what they decide to do? Will they run the same games at higher graphical fidelity alongside PS4/xb1/X/pro or will we see a clean break between the systems as with every previous console generation.

That's a certainty at some point in future but whether it'll be the case at launch I'm not sure?

Forwards compatible, yes. They will indeed use the same core architecture.

Cross generation games may exist for a very short time (Breath of the Wild, Halo Infinite), but there has not been a single sign that there is any chance of that happening long term.

You can't just tweak a few settings to compensate for a weaker CPU like you can with a weaker GPU. A game designed to finally push past the weak CPUs in the XBox X/PS4 simply will not run on the older consoles.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd say you'd get at least a couple of years out of an X or Pro and frankly many games now seem to think of the original consoles as afterthoughts with serious performance issues.

I'd go for it, it's not like they will be worthless when the new consoles arrive.

Soldato
Regardless of cross generation compatability I expect the pro/X versions will be end of life alongside the regular ones though so don't spend the extra expecting the 4K models to have a longer lifespan than the older HD ones though.

Caporegime
I think Sony's final games for the PS4 are already announced - The Last of Us, Part II, Ghost of Tsushima and maybe one other but the fact they've not mentioned anything else suggests their next titles are all PS5 exclusive.

I think Microsoft on the other hand might have Xbox One X + Project Scarlett titles longer. Gears 5 is maybe a taste of that as it might just have proper 4K on Scarlett with 120fps as an option. That may be their strategy for a year or two - dynamic 4K60 on Xbox One X and native 4K120 for the same game on Scarlett.

Soldato
If your cousin wants a PS4 to play the massive catalog of current games, he won't be disappointed when the new consoles come out. If he expects to be able to play new games released for the PS5, this will be a problem.

Consoles don't die just because they are superceded, as long as the games are still available it's all gravy. I say this having a PS2, PS3 and a stack of other retro consoles and games. If the PS5 does indeed play PS4 games natively, then I'll get one and use that for my PS4 collection.

Associate
If your cousin is into variety of games then the PS4 will keep him occupied until the new gens have more games available which will probably take year or two for it to have decent library worth investing in one.
Here is list i've shared in PS4 thread which list most of the known physical PS4 exclusive releases in the west, there are a couple japanese release only but thats for your own leisure to research, digital only exclusives and VR titles if you was to get PSVR.
Exclusive releases:
Bloodborne
Days Gone(Mixed review)
Horizon Zero Dawn
Death Stranding(later this year)
Final Fantasy 7 Remake (next year)
Ghost of Tsushima(To be released)
God of war 2018
Gran Turismo Sport
Infamous
Persona 5
Killzone Shadowfall
Fist of the north star Lost Paradise
Yakuza 6(This may also get PC port but nothing confirmed)
Judgment (Studio that develop Yakuza, this may get PC port but just have to wait and see)
The Last Guardian
The last of us 2 (To be released)
mediEvil remake
Ratchet and clank 2016
Spiderman 2018
Uncharted 4
Until Dawn

Re-releases(remastered):
Uncharted 1-3
God of war 2&3
Shadow of Colossus
Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1&2 (also available on PC), Yakuza 3-5 (3 is already available and 4 will be available in October)
The Last of us 1

Soldato
With such great catalogues of games getting a second hand Pro or X is the way I would go, purely dependent on what titles you want to play.

Back
Top Bottom