Singapore and Bali

Soldato
Hey guys,

So Im going to Singapore for 4 days this weekend for the formula 1 and Bali for a week after.

Anyone been to either of these places that would recommend any must do things whilst there?

I tend to always post in here before I go on holiday as I am usually always given some great advice!

Caporegime
Went to Singapore at the end of July. It was ridiculously humid. It's a pretty awesome place and there's loads you can do, went for 5 nights and didn't get to do everything we wanted to do, but we basically did the 'tourist' sites and nothing disappointed.

This is what our list looked like, but as I say we didn't get chance to do everything as we tend to do a whole museum when we go etc.

Gardens by the Bay
Singapore Flyer
Botanical Gardens
Zoo
Jurong Bird Park
Merlion Park day & night
National Gallery
National Museum
Asian Civilisation Museum
Jurong Lake Gardens (Chinese and Japanese gardens are currently closed)
Fort Canning Park
Southern Ridges
Bukit Timah Nature Reserve

a1CAArj.jpg

Associate
Went to Bali last November for 4 weeks - pretty damn good if you ask me. If you've got any questions fire away, it'll save me trying to write up a comprehensive guide/list.

Soldato
Was there last year for the F1, amazing experience.

Of the things not yet mentioned:

- Lau pa Sat hawker centre for amazing street food and unrivalled surroundings (http://www.laupasat.biz/) The atmosphere on Saturday night is amazing so go then if you can.
- Skip the Night Safari, it's not worth it
- One Raffles Place to try the Singapore Slinger
- 1-Altitude bar for a drink and to experience amazing views of Singapore
- Chinatown and Little India are worth a visit

beh

beh

Associate
Don't pay for the viewing platform at the MBS just get a ~$20 drinks voucher for the bar next door (Ce La Vie). The view is more impressive at night.

Cloud Forest is the only thing worth paying for at the Gardens by the Bay.

The Treetop walk at the MacRitchie nature reserve is good if you don't mind slogging up hill to get to it.

National Gallery is a cool building, interesting selection of Asian art too.

Soldato
- One Raffles Place to try the Singapore Slinger
Don't most people say this is really not worth it?

I loved Singapore, make sure you just eat at all the hawker centres including Lau Pa Sat (satay street) on an evening. I loved the one in Little India. We ate in a restaurant once in 4 days there and honestly it was the worst meal we had (and cost 10x as much). Make sure you try chicken rice.. I actually regret not ordering 3-4 dishes at every mealtime at the hawker centres because they're so damn cheap! Should have tried more!

Don't pay for the viewing platform at the MBS just get a ~$20 drinks voucher for the bar next door (Ce La Vie). The view is more impressive at night.
We did this too. Why pay $20 for entry to the viewing platform when you can pay $20 for a gin & tonic and get (almost) the same view.

Also try the coffee there, it's lush! https://www.travelfish.org/eatandme...l_region/central_area/downtown_singapore/2295

NVP

NVP

Soldato
You don't want to miss this place in singapore.

<Removed, see edit>

Be warned that no one speaks English so you just gotta copy everyone else.

Really late edit: just been reminiscing with the wifey and she says it was this place:-
Tian Tian Steamboat BBQ 101 Beach Road, #01-01 The 101, Singapore 189703 +65 9448 4493 https://maps.app.goo.gl/ADUq2QJanjQFU9S1A

Thought I'd update just in case

Last edited:
Associate
We went to the grand prix a few years ago, you'll have an excellent time, it's the best in terms of organisation that I've been to. Things are so expensive in Singapore that the cost of stuff in the circuit actually seems reasonable.

Having the sessions at night also works really well as you get all day to do other things. You can freely access the track and have a walk around if you go on Thursday night.

Note that the Singapore Flyer is within the confines of the circuit and is only accessible to those with a ticket to that area. We went earlier on race day and were pretty much the only people on it.

Soldato
OP
Guys, thanks for the responses! great will check this stuff out!

Very jealous you're there for the F1!

Do they do a "General access" or is it all in Grandstands? Know where about's you're going to be watching the race from?

They do general admission, but i got a bay stand ticket.

Associate
Whereabouts in Bali are you going?
I would recommend hiring a car (and driver) and go out for a tour of some of the island. Many of the places out of town are far nicer than staying in the city.
I didnt eat any street food while i was there as i didnt want to take the risk, but there are some really nice cheap restaurants in and around Seminyak

NVP

NVP

Soldato
It does, singapore is so easy. But these local steamboats (not the restaurants) are for the local chinese population and the staff had one crazy lady who understood a little english but it was lovely food, a great experience trying to figure out how to cook your own food especially with all the hustle and bustle of a million locals crammed into and flowing out of a tight grotty cafeteria pretty much. Haha doesn't sound too great but I'd recommend and will definitely do it again :)

Soldato
OP
Whereabouts in Bali are you going?
I would recommend hiring a car (and driver) and go out for a tour of some of the island. Many of the places out of town are far nicer than staying in the city.
I didnt eat any street food while i was there as i didnt want to take the risk, but there are some really nice cheap restaurants in and around Seminyak

Staying in densapaur for 4 nights then near Ubud for 4 nights.

Yeah definitely looking at a few tours like this.

Associate
Singapore has great food if you're willing to be a bit adventurous:
Some of the above have made their way to London, but the London Din Tai Fung wasn't at the Singapore standard during the launch period at least.

Hawker centre food can be fantastic, but ideally you'd need a local Singaporean to take you to the best ones, otherwise it can be a bit hit and miss. Otherwise. look for ones with the longer queues, but be prepared to wait a long time!

Associate
Rice paddies in Ubud are worth checking out, access from here

Bali Famous Tour
Jl. Raya Ubud, Ubud, Kecamatan Ubud, Kabupaten Gianyar, Bali 80571, Indonesia
+62 821-4403-4903
https://maps.app.goo.gl/aHYd3N4bZ7357iqY7

Sacred Monkey forest is also good.

Rouge Bar was very good, sushi and duck alike at the bottom of Bisma.

Traffic in Ubud can be crazy (grid lock) so be aware when you are leaving for a plane!

Back
Top Bottom