• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Don
i want to buy an used Xeon X5675 and have currently an i7-950 on a X58-UD5 Rev1.0 (see signature). Do you know since which bios my preferred Xeon runs on this board?

Can't help with the bios version, but as above arguably your much better off buying a x5650 for £6 (or a couple of them) rather than spending £30-£40 or whatever the premium is for a x5675

Associate
Thanx for ya quick replies. The X5675 is stable @ 4.5 GHz, can I achieve this on the X5650 too? I live in germany, the best pricing is ~13€ (X5650) and/or 35€ (X5675), the 22 bucks more I would like to spend, if the clocks are better. I have a Noctua NH-U12P air cooler and don't want to upgrade it to a water system in the near future.

Edit: Big question... my PSU has 750W, ist this enough for the upgrade?

Best regards,
MaXx

Last edited:
Don
Thanx for ya quick replies. The X5675 is stable @ 4.5 GHz, can I achieve this on the X5650 too? I live in germany, the best pricing is ~13€ (X5650) and/or 35€ (X5675), the 22 bucks more I would like to spend, if the clocks are better.

All of the 6 core parts are essentially the same silicon (X5650/X5660/X5670/X5675/X5679/X5680/X5690), and on the whole all clock similarly. You may get a great X5650 and a poor X5675 in any given sample. Therefore better to buy the cheaper one, and if it turns out to be a poor clocker you can always buy another one.

4.5Ghz+ is getting into the optimistic territory for these chips though - 4.2-4.4Ghz is a more common speed for them

Edit: Big question... my PSU has 750W, ist this enough for the upgrade?

Should be fine as long as it's from a reputable brand

Associate
@Armageus: Ahh ok. Yes, my PSU is a Corsair RM750x. All other sys-specs are in my signature.

@Kelt: You have a similar system as mine (at signature), can I get your Bios settings (screens or text), I will edit and test any alt. settings due specific hardware.

Best regards,
MaXx

Last edited:
Associate
Update: I've recently buyed a used and very cheap X5670 @ eBay.
Three Questions:

1) Are the OC-important setting options similar to my old i7-950?
2) Has the Xeon "newer" or "alternative" features to disable resp. enable for fail-safe OC?
3) Can I achieve 4,0-4,3 GHz without voltage-adjustments or is there SAFE value?

Requesting your suggestions! I'm surely not a PRO, but my old i7-950 @ 4,025Ghz was self-OCed prime-stable and runs 15/7 w/o BSODs.

Best regards,
MaXx

Last edited:
Soldato
Update: I've recently buyed a used and very cheap X5670 @ eBay.
Three Questions:

1) Are the OC-important setting options similar to my old i7-950?
2) Has the Xeon "newer" or "alternative" features to disable resp. enable for fail-safe OC?
3) Can I achieve 4,0-4,3 GHz without voltage-adjustments or is there SAFE value?

Requesting your suggestions! I'm surely not a PRO, but my old i7-950 @ 4,025Ghz was self-OCed prime-stable and runs 15/7 w/o BSODs.

Best regards,
MaXx

You don't want to use your old cup setting fro the 950, just reset the bios and start fresh.

you will be looking for 4.2-4.4ghz, voltage from 1.35-1-4v on the cup. At MAX 1.45v but your chip will run hot at this voltage, could also reduce your cup lifespan.I can't get past 4.2ghz regardless of voltage so I settled for 1.4v. But am running 16gb of ram in 4 slots so I assume this is affecting my OC.

What motherboard are you using, maybe someone can help you by posting their settings.

Associate
My old x58 is now in my friends build and still going strong. These are odd chips to clock to be honest, as mine used only 1.28v to achieve 3.9ghz, but to get to 4.4ghz needs 1.40v. Interestingly 4.2ghz only needs 1.3250v, so ordinarily I'd say that 4.3ghz would be the obvious and sensible choice, but when these things can be bought for less than a tenner including delivery I just left it at 4.4

(that's with 48gb of RAM, all slots populated with 8gb 2400mhz Corsair dominator platinum but running around 1600mhz at CL8 or CL9 (can't remember exact mem frequency or CAS). The mobo manual only states that 4gb DIMMS are usable, but it had zero issues with the 8gb sticks :)

Soldato
I managed to get my old X5670 to run at 4.6Ghz with 1.4v cooled with a D14 but this was with 1 stick of RAM in a Asus P6T Deluxe. I would get the 5670 as the multiplier means that you don't need as high a BLCK as the 5650 so it lessens the restraints of the motherboard in overclocking.

I went through a few variants and all the 5670's overclocked higher than the 5650's.

Associate
Hi,

@AMDPower: No I don't want to use my old settings, my question was if the "options" to change (alter, enable, disable etc.), are the same like at an i7-xxx.

@all: 4 Ghz are really nice for me personally. I hope my CPU is a good sample, so I can easily reach 4Ghz w/o overvoltage. My board is a Gigabyte EX58-UD5, this runs really sweet sind I've bought in 2009, originall with a i7-920 D0 OCed. Later I had a i7-950 D0 OCed and now at weekend or next week finally the best CPU on an X58 so far, a hexacore Xeon.

I've often read that a Xeon is bad to overclock, what do you say?

As i metioned before, all other hardware is fully detailed actually listed at my sysProfile-homepage in signature.

Sorry as an german guy my english isn't that good, hope you understand me nethertheless.

Best regards,
MaXx

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi,

@AMDPower: No I don't want to use my old settings, my question was if the "options" to change (alter, enable, disable etc.), are the same like at an i7-xxx.

@all: 4 Ghz are really nice for me personally. I hope my CPU is a good sample, so I can easily reach 4Ghz w/o overvoltage. My board is a Gigabyte EX58-UD5, this runs really sweet sind I've bought in 2009, originall with a i7-920 D0 OCed. Later I had a i7-950 D0 OCed and now at weekend or next week finally the best CPU on an X58 so far, a hexacore Xeon.

I've often read that a Xeon is bad to overclock, what do you say?

As i metioned before, all other hardware is fully detailed actually listed at my sysProfile-homepage in signature.

Sorry as an german guy my english isn't that good, hope you understand me nethertheless.

Best regards,
MaXx

If you do a search on my username within this thread you'll find the BIOS screens I posted of my OC.

We have the same mobo, so should be a good starting point.

Associate
@Kelt: After x-times unsuccessfully searches, I scrolled manually through this 180 pages, but I don't found your screens. I found screens from another guys, and one set of these are bit helpful. Please help me to find your pics, or simply reupload it.

Best regards,
MaXx

Back
Top Bottom