How to archive multiple separate files without including file extension in name!??

Associate
So i have about 100 or so files in a folder that i want to archive with WinRAR so there all in their own separate zip files, but when i do this each zip file includes the extension file in the name for example......

'example.exe' file becomes 'example.exe.zip'

when archived, how do i put each file in their separate zip files whilst not including the file extension in the zip file name!?

Associate
OP
Doesn't really make sense. If you zip(compress) a file it becomes a 'zip' file.

Yes it does im not saying that, im saying it is including the extension of the file im zipping up in the name of the zip file once its been zipped up

As soon as you want to zip multiple files up into their own zip files then each one of these zip files names includes the extension of the file your zipping up, so 'file1.cfg' would become 'file1.cfg.zip' when zipped up i just want it to be named 'file1.zip' without it including the extension in the zip file name.

It wouldnt be so bad if it was like just 5 files i wanted to be put into their own separate zip files as id just edit the extension out myself but i have like 100s of files that need to be place in their own zip files

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Bugger thought there might be a way to have it ignore the extension when zipping up

What if i told windows to hide extensions, would that then zip it up without the extension and then once im done i can tell windows to show extensions again?

Soldato
Well yes and no. Your just hiding extensions then it depends on how you've configured windows but essentially it will always be a *.cfg.zip file. Why do you want it like this?

Man of Honour
I'm confused - if I select a bunch of files and use WinRAR or 7-Zip on them they become a .zip or .rar, etc. file containing the original inside and doesn't have .exe.zip, etc.

Even if I use the "put each file in its own archive" option it chops the extension and just uses filename.zip.

Man of Honour
When I do this in WinRAR it doesn't do what you've described, I get lots of .zip files with no extra nested extension. I'm not hiding any extensions either.

:edit: Beaten to it by seconds :D

Soldato
So i have about 100 or so files in a folder that i want to archive with WinRAR so there all in their own separate zip files, but when i do this each zip file includes the extension file in the name for example......

'example.exe' file becomes 'example.exe.zip'

when archived, how do i put each file in their separate zip files whilst not including the file extension in the zip file name!?

I think you've got "double extensions for archives" enabled. Disable it and you'll get what you're after.

K5VBtZT.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom