LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
Yes, for sure it is the physical height which makes more of a noticeable difference than the actual pixel difference in terms of productivity. Not knocking it, still a nice res... but they can keep it at £2K, ridiculous!!

I might actually pull the trigger on the X35 tomorrow morning I know I said I wanted the bigger screen but heck this tiny 19'' Flatron W1941S monitor is driving me nuts you have converted me. Ill log back in tomorrow evening and let you know if I have done the dirty deed. You know something, either way I realise i'll regret it no matter which one I end up buying i know at the back of my mind something will always be telling me I should have waited. But then suppose you would end up buying nothing as always the better thing is round the corner, ROFL

Last edited:
Associate
why the X35? that fan is even more annoying than the one in the PG35VQ

Yaw I hear you, and I must admit I thought like you but in all honesty I have seen many You tube videos and the fans on the X35 is not really audible over the rest of the stuff IE PC case fans, to hear the fans on the Acer you would have to place your ear up against the monitor and listen for the fan whirring but in every day use it is not really audible at all. I wear head phones anyway and considering a £495 saving as I do not need a built in Dac to justify the inflated price of the Asus over the X35 same panel but considerable different price points.

I will try it out and if I don’t really like it, I’ll just return it I don’t know my mind is in two places right now because if I pull the trigger on this monitor it will be a keeper for a very long time. I like you would prefer the Asus PG35VQ but I cannot justify spending £2689 on this monitor as I do not believe it is worth the asking price to be honest it is just Asus ripping the back side out of the pricing because it carries the Asus branding Rog as it should be priced like the Acer X35 price point.

Now back to fan noise yes at start up and shut down you will be able to hear the fans whirr up really loud but during actual use they settle down and I dare say over the coming months maybe Acer will develop a new firmware to better control the fans the Asus has three fans and the Acer has two from what I have read hence the louder noise emanating from the Acer but I can t justify the premium for the Asus I could buy the Asus quite easily but to me that just does not make any sense I’ll live with the Acer fan noise. Seemingly the fans are on all the time even if the monitor has not turned on but connected to a power sourse only way to stop then is cut the power I also heard the back of the monitor gets really hot how hot just have to see..

You see I am all confused as I was going to wait on the LG 38GL950G but there is no word on it and that thing will be in the £2000 price point and no true HDR support bigger screen is what I wanted but plenty of people telling me the 3440x1440 is just right for game play and not to go bigger is what I am hearing. As you will lose oh so much not having the True HDR of the X35.

So maybe I will try it at least give it a whirl for 14 days and if I really dislike it for fan noise if it sounds like a hoover definitely I would not like that and it will be shipping back to the reseller.

Am I doing the right thing I really don’t know.

Soldato
OP
I swear monitors are going backwards, yet getting more expensive at the same time. It would be funny if it wasn't so goddamn infuriating!! :mad:

Associate
You see I am all confused as I was going to wait on the LG 38GL950G but there is no word on it and that thing will be in the £2000 price point and no true HDR support bigger screen is what I wanted but plenty of people telling me the 3440x1440 is just right for game play and not to go bigger is what I am hearing. As you will lose oh so much not having the True HDR of the X35

But you are Mr Big!

Associate
But you are Mr Big!
Yes I am certainly Mr Big all right but reading the forums of Reddit and Acer one guy has returned two PG35VQ's & an X35 with all the bitching going on I would not put myself through that just best to give those monitors a wide birth. One guy even sent two X35's back now he is using his old monitor. So what Mr Big understands is there a bigger problems with those monitors that Mr Big himself would ever be able to sort out. Would you buy something with know problems and boy those problems ain't going away any time soon. What amazes me is the lack of ownership from Acer or Asus on the forums it is as if those guys are talking cobblers but all the people say they will be returning their monitors for a refund. What's happening to all those returned monitors as none are up for sale discounted. Not that I would touch one no way. I'll wait on the LG.

Soldato
The 950F will be a bit of an upgrade coming from the original X34, but the 38"will be even nicer, it's just the cost of the thing when you can't utilise all the features in one go due to DP limitations. Might as well pay £1k less and use everything is has to offer.

Associate
Ok folks I have an update I purchased the X35 the shop from which I purchased this monitor has sold these monitors since for some time they have sold roughly 15 + units and not one has come back to them nor has anyone complained that there is a fault with this monitor so on that basis I ordered one with a caveat. That is, I will be able to return it within 28 days back to said company free of charge if it as much as gives one flicker it will be shipped back so it arrives later this week unfortunately, I am away all weekend like every other weekend.

It will be interesting to see for myself if the faults I’m reading about are prevalent in the monitor I ordered. I did ask the agent was he aware of the faults everyone is complaining about on the forums and reddit he replied yes but they are yet to hear first-hand with the X35 monitors they have sold so far no complaints of faults from their customers as none have come back complaining you would think they would have been swamped with complaints but that is not the case I have only the company’s word on that front of course so I’ll take them at their word.

My only concern, would this monitor be faulty, but then I do have the safeguard of returning it and really the only hassle for me would be boxing it back up and having it collected.

Well I chatted with the agent at length before ordering and he confirmed with me they would accept a return within 28 days from it arrives. I made it perfectly clear if there are any faults whatsoever then this thing will be going straight back, he said sure but you will have no problems, though they could not test the monitor before posting, so take out of that what you will.

I have chopped and changed over this thread concerning these monitors if you would like to be updated on my recent purchase of the X35 and how I get on with it please quote this and I will reply back with updates. If I receive no new quotes then I take it you are all fed up with my input.

Thank you all for listening to me and sorry for all the changing about, but I was torn between the two and everyone says the X35 would be the better monitor.

Mr Big

Soldato
OP
Ok folks I have an update I purchased the X35 the shop from which I purchased this monitor has sold these monitors since for some time they have sold roughly 15 + units and not one has come back to them nor has anyone complained that there is a fault with this monitor so on that basis I ordered one with a caveat. That is, I will be able to return it within 28 days back to said company free of charge if it as much as gives one flicker it will be shipped back so it arrives later this week unfortunately, I am away all weekend like every other weekend.

It will be interesting to see for myself if the faults I’m reading about are prevalent in the monitor I ordered. I did ask the agent was he aware of the faults everyone is complaining about on the forums and reddit he replied yes but they are yet to hear first-hand with the X35 monitors they have sold so far no complaints of faults from their customers as none have come back complaining you would think they would have been swamped with complaints but that is not the case I have only the company’s word on that front of course so I’ll take them at their word.

My only concern, would this monitor be faulty, but then I do have the safeguard of returning it and really the only hassle for me would be boxing it back up and having it collected.

Well I chatted with the agent at length before ordering and he confirmed with me they would accept a return within 28 days from it arrives. I made it perfectly clear if there are any faults whatsoever then this thing will be going straight back, he said sure but you will have no problems, though they could not test the monitor before posting, so take out of that what you will.

I have chopped and changed over this thread concerning these monitors if you would like to be updated on my recent purchase of the X35 and how I get on with it please quote this and I will reply back with updates. If I receive no new quotes then I take it you are all fed up with my input.

Thank you all for listening to me and sorry for all the changing about, but I was torn between the two and everyone says the X35 would be the better monitor.

Mr Big

Well good luck! There are some very unhappy people on the Acer forums I know that, and the fan issue alone would be enough to put me off... and from what I'm reading, although this COULD be fixed by a firmware update, the monitor doesn't allow user updates, so it would have to be sent back to Acer for this... assuming they ever do come up with a fix.

The flickering issue seems to be an Nvidia fault, again from what I'm reading anyway, so that could be down to them to fix.

How much did you pay for it out of curiosity?

Associate
Well good luck! There are some very unhappy people on the Acer forums I know that, and the fan issue alone would be enough to put me off... and from what I'm reading, although this COULD be fixed by a firmware update, the monitor doesn't allow user updates, so it would have to be sent back to Acer for this... assuming they ever do come up with a fix.

The flickering issue seems to be an Nvidia fault, again from what I'm reading anyway, so that could be down to them to fix.

How much did you pay for it out of curiosity?

Hello

I paid the asking price of £2199. I know there is another UK website offering £2175 but then they might not be so appreciating of having this item returned. I don’t want to say where I purchased it and nor will I divulge that information for obvious reasons. I have read reviews of this monitor and they have reported no problems then people state maybe they have not hit this situation where the fault occurs.

I will test the fan theory out if I find it too loud or ramping up or if it is audibly annoying it will be shipped straight back. If the monitor shows signs of any problems of flickering, lines or any other panel related issue it will be going straight back. I don’t mind sharing my story here with every facet from unboxing the look and annoyances or if I can live with this monitor, I’ll be as frank and brutal as possible. Maybe I will receive a unit with no problems but please don’t use that as a yard stick to make a judgment with your own purchase if you decide to buy in the event. I give it the thumbs up.

Here is a guy’s you tube channel and he is stoked with his purchase and he has noted no complaints from flickering, scan lines or fan noise funnily enough. I based my purchasing decision on this you tube video I doubt this guy is being paid to promote the X35 I believe his video is 100% so if he got lucky maybe I will too, you would imagine he would have happened across the scan lines and that flickering which would be hard not to see, anyway seem good enough for me.

Vid 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMAC7FgeTVs

Vid 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycHOTQoNNp8

Vid 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-NUrztaIrw

(LEGEND) I hear you and I value your opinion and I believe what you are saying will maybe happen with me knowing my luck, remember I know of these faults also and I made it perfectly crystal clear to the reseller I will be returning this item if it shows any signs of faults or fan noise. I have 28 days to try this thing out I know how to re create these faults believe me I have taken notes and I am waiting prepared to take that risk but I had to try this for myself. I paid by PayPal as it is much safer in case the supplier reneges on the deal, we made so they are obliged to accept it back. I am protected by consumer law and in the event the monitor does manifest these faults sure It will pass the time for 26 days until the LG Surfaces if the X35 passes all the tests and I end up loving the monitor then I’ll be very happy with it as it will be cutting edge for the next 1 to 2 years so god knows maybe upgrade to something else when that time arises. I will keep you updated don’t worry on that front as I am sure you would like to know how it all pans out Friday evening, I will update you on initial thoughts and the dreaded fan noise. It will be Wednesday or Thursday I’ll test the screen for the dreaded faults by next Thursday 26th September I’ll know if I’m keeping it or not.

Associate
I will be returning this item if it shows any signs of faults or fan noise

Then you for sure will return it, the fan noise is clearly audible, some ppl dont mind, and some ppl play with headset. Even the guy you linked to mention that he can hear the fan, but he don't mind it due to the reason I mention above.

Associate
Then you for sure will return it, the fan noise is clearly audible, some ppl dont mind, and some ppl play with headset. Even the guy you linked to mention that he can hear the fan, but he don't mind it due to the reason I mention above.

Very true but that is your opinion and not necessarily my opinion I have a pc case sat right next to my right hand side, level with my desk I have 15 fans and that pc case I can hear that humming away I have a graphics card sitting at 33C on idle. So I have fan noise already I don't think I will really notice the fan noise coming from the screen as the back of the monitor will be 75cm from my face so fan noise should be minimal anyway I wear head set when gaming.
I know I'm going off whack here here is my build.

I9 7940X PROCESSOR.

ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA MOTHERBOARD.

Trident Z RGB DDR4-3733MHz CL17-19-19-39 1.35V 64GB (4x16GB).

ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti OC Edition 11 GB.

Noctua NH-U12A, Premium 120mm CPU Cooler.

15 X Corsair LL120 LL Series, Fans.

Lian Li PC-D888WX 8Pack Edition ATX Cube Case – Black Custom I got the side panel custom cut bigger.

Lg Blu Ray read and write drives.

1 TB SSD SAMSUNG 970 pro.

2 X internal IRON WOLF 1OTB HARD DRIVES.

1 X WD RED 6TB internal hard drive.

EXTERNAL WD 20 TB My Book Duo backup drive.

GSP 600 HEADPHONES AND GSX 1000 DAC BY SENNHEISER.

EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P2 Power Supply

Computer desk was purchased 17 years ago in PC WORLD cost me chips to buy was a bargain I have had it ever since and my chair is rather standard but end up costing me £399 I think originally it was £599 have had it 12 years.

Anyway, there you go opinions are down to the end user. Your taste might not fit with my taste and vice versa. Anyway, we will see, suppose you cant have it all what is classed as the perfect monitor, is anyone really happy, and they wish if this was different or that was different suppose that dream can never be realised and we just have to buy what these manufacturers produce at the time what is cutting edge as you will have to give a little I usually hang onto stuff for about 2 to 3 years so this is only a stepping stone to me usually I keep monitors for a very long time but not this one as I am sure this technology will only improve over the years to come and the price will drop drastically. But early adopters pay the price for sure, we get screwed.

Associate

Mr Big

Odd. The Acer X35 and ASUS PG35VQ have been pulled from sale in the US due to the flickering issue.

Associate
ODD Available here to buy order now pick up in 18 minutes, https://www.microcenter.com/product/610271/X35_35"_QHD_180Hz_HDMI_DP_G-Sync_HDR_Curved_LED_Gaming_Monitor

Opinions are like ********* everyone has one.

Amazon and Newegg have all pulled them from sale. Microcenter may be willing to continue walk-in sales due to high inventory and that it hardly costs anything when someone returns a product in person. Good luck buying a monitor with a massive known issue. Until NVIDIA comes out with a firmware fix, these monitors are DOA.

Soldato
I know what you are saying there was a guy who had the older lg38'' against the x34'' and the difference was like night and day the lg made the X34 look really small by comaprison sat on his desk I have the picture but can not upload as you can only upload web links. The difference in size is just crazy it makes the x34 look so small in width and height..

the difference in height really isn't that much at all. + a little more height

http://displaywars.com/comparisons/34-inch-21x9-vs-38-inch-21x9.png

its more the width where it makes a difference, but if you want next gen width, surely you look at the less expensive CRG9.

i think if it was around £1000, it'd be a bit more platable as a purchase personally. Its not one of those pieces of tech where theres the usual tech jealousy. i genuinely think there are strong tangible arguments to question why this monitor is so pricey given the competition which either has super crazy aspect ratios with quantum dot or an entire freaking FALD backlight.

Associate
the difference in height really isn't that much at all. + a little more height

http://displaywars.com/comparisons/34-inch-21x9-vs-38-inch-21x9.png

its more the width where it makes a difference, but if you want next gen width, surely you look at the less expensive CRG9.

i think if it was around £1000, it'd be a bit more platable as a purchase personally. Its not one of those pieces of tech where theres the usual tech jealousy. i genuinely think there are strong tangible arguments to question why this monitor is so pricey given the competition which either has super crazy aspect ratios with quantum dot or an entire freaking FALD backlight.

Hi aoaaron, welcome back to the thread! How is your CRG9 :)?

Soldato
Hi aoaaron, welcome back to the thread! How is your CRG9 :)?

Lol actually not great. I went through 3 of them. One dead pixelx2, one a stuck pixel and one making strange electric cracking noises! I kept the dead pixel one with the provision that I can return it in up to 6 months once Amazon get them back in stock and if they don't, i can get a refund.

I've personally come to the realisation that I think I need OLED level black levels now if i I'm paying £1k+ and with the announcement from LG of Gsync on the C9 and E9, I'm angling up a purchase for one of those (but I understand thats not a debate for this thread). Still, I have to give credit to the display being amazing if you can get a normal working one.

Having used IPS displays, I just cannot get over the DREADFUL IPS glow every monitor exhibits if you get too close to it. The contrasts are just disgusting and something very underplayed by the PC gaming community for some reason. Don't get me wrong, for <1000, I can get over IPS glow. But once the price becomes this high, I personally find it hard to stomach. I struggle to understand how someone can evisage paying £2,000+ without proper HDR support, let alone a manufacturer at least just hitting the HDR1000 mark. I'd personally be expecting FALD/OLED at that price.

But then again, we all earn money and decide what to do with it. If people really to see value in the LG 38'' then credit to them.

Back
Top Bottom