*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
So I'm a virgin about to dip their toes into Ubiquiti land. I was thinking about getting a separate switch, firewall, etc for my homelab as I've recently just had Community Fibre installed. Thankfully I stumbled on r/Ubiquiti and found out about the Unifi Dream Machine Pro. I've got one on order, hopefully it gets shipped soon (ordered on Saturday).

You were VERY lucky to get one. You must have just been in the store when they added a few more.

I’ve had mine for about 8 weeks and it’s OK, just be aware that it’s not remotely finished and I’m sure you’ll be happy with it. I’m very lucky that a company I work with has a US office and they’ll trans-ship me stuff from the US.

If you’re intending to use a Ubiquiti access point you’ll still need a PoE adapter.

And obviously, you’ll need a 110V transformer as all the EA ones I’m aware of are US only.

Associate
You were VERY lucky to get one. You must have just been in the store when they added a few more.

I’ve had mine for about 8 weeks and it’s OK, just be aware that it’s not remotely finished and I’m sure you’ll be happy with it. I’m very lucky that a company I work with has a US office and they’ll trans-ship me stuff from the US.

If you’re intending to use a Ubiquiti access point you’ll still need a PoE adapter.

And obviously, you’ll need a 110V transformer as all the EA ones I’m aware of are US only.

Well I setup a Distill alert and it pinged me immediately. Popped on the store and it was a available. I just hope the reshipping company doesn't screw up. How are you finding yours?

Associate
It sort of works OK, but it’s clearly Beta and I don’t see it being GA anytime soon. So they’ll probably release it next week
Would you say it's ok for home use? I won't be using it in anger, literally just some basic firewalling and switching. I already have Velop AP's that I will continue to use.

What transformer are you using with it? Last time I was in step down territory was back in the day when I had a US Neo Geo.

Soldato
It's a Beta device running a half-finished version of the new operating system. Is it OK for home use? It depends really what level of pain you're prepared to put up with. You are aware that it's not the finished version of the hardware eg. US PSU only and that there will almost certainly be changes before it goes General Access?

Personally, unless you're already invested in the Unifi ecosystem I wouldn't recommend any Unifi router.

Get something from a mainstream manufacturer and you'll be much happier.

As for powering my US device I'm running a standard 110V transformer block as favoured by the trades and available from all good builder's merchants.

Associate
It's a Beta device running a half-finished version of the new operating system. Is it OK for home use? It depends really what level of pain you're prepared to put up with. You are aware that it's not the finished version of the hardware eg. US PSU only and that there will almost certainly be changes before it goes General Access?

Personally, unless you're already invested in the Unifi ecosystem I wouldn't recommend any Unifi router.

Get something from a mainstream manufacturer and you'll be much happier.

As for powering my US device I'm running a standard 110V transformer block as favoured by the trades and available from all good builder's merchants.

Yes I am well aware of its current status in that regard and that it is early access. I'm used to having to deal with early trains on NXOS or IOS so this is not an issue in terms of software or the fact that it is essentially beta hardware.

The whole point of me getting this is to NOT use mainstream manufacturer kit. I've already had to deal with years of running enterprise kit at home so if you can point me to an all in one, turnkey device that will filter 1GB up and down with full Layer7 for a reasonable price I am all ears.

Soldato
Supermicro AS-5019D-FTN4 or SYS-5018D-FTN8 with 8Gb RAM and a small SSD running Untangle Home is what I tend to spec these days.

Untangle is great but as I've found out it has absolutely no way of any packet marking in the pre-routing chain. This limits you drastically if you want any kind of conditional routing policies. Eg. If an IP from Subnet A wants to go via Subnet B then use VPN 1. It just can't do it, it's either "tag device" or "tag IP". Such a shame.

Soldato
Untangle is great but as I've found out it has absolutely no way of any packet marking in the pre-routing chain. This limits you drastically if you want any kind of conditional routing policies. Eg. If an IP from Subnet A wants to go via Subnet B then use VPN 1. It just can't do it, it's either "tag device" or "tag IP". Such a shame.

Indeed, it’s not something I’ve tried to do myself but I have no reason to think it will. On the other hand, as much as I love RouterOS, there’s many more features missing in that which keeps pushing me back to Untangle.

Soldato
Indeed, it’s not something I’ve tried to do myself but I have no reason to think it will. On the other hand, as much as I love RouterOS, there’s many more features missing in that which keeps pushing me back to Untangle.

Agreed. It's been very outdated by flashy rivals. FQ_Codel should be possible once v7 starts to gain traction now. I would love amazing graphing like Untangle offers but I really don't see that happening.

When someone brings a hybrid of Untangle/EdgeOS/RouterOS/pfSense to market they'll own it.

Soldato
Isn’t that what UniFi is supposed to be? (Only it’s not quite there yet either). Untangle does at least seem to be getting updated very regularly and going to the new version of Debian should bring a few more improvements like UEFI boot comparability which is desperately needed at the moment.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Soldato
Not sure what's going on. Had some wifi issues recently. Decided to create separate SSID's for the 2.4 and 5ghz networks. Our house has really thick walls and i think some devices are connecting to 5ghz and struggling to get a decent signal and i think they'd be better being forced onto 2.4ghz. Does that sound right?

Kept trying to connect using the IOS app, but it wouldn't find the controller.

Finally got my laptop out and the web connection took ages to connect, then when it finally logged in it suggested all my devices were now unadopted/disconnected and can't seem to get them to reconnect.

Fun Friday night ahead!

Soldato
... or 2 mins work to re-adopt them and possibly restore a backup config, push the boat out and do a firmware update and I bet you can string it out to a good 10 minutes, 15 if you stop for tea in the middle and draw air through your teeth when asked how long it will take. If you have a clipboard that’s double time, unless you spill tea on it when you may actually need 30 minutes depending on what else gets covered in tea :D

Back
Top Bottom