Things I don't like (TIDL) thread

Soldato
..... and Californians.

Having not long returned from a couple of weeks in California, I would not really agree with this.....from my what I saw of course in only 2 weeks.

If I had to describe their manner in one word, it would be 'patient'. At stop signs for example, when I was still getting the hang of who goes first, I was waved across, or other people waited for me to move quite regularly.

Maybe it was just the part of California we were in (Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz, and SF)

Caporegime
IT "Managers" who are seemingly just managers in an IT role with zero technical ability.

Absolutely, unless you're very senior - like C level or MD level then being a manager (of people) shouldn't be your full time job.

They're in a minority but you do get the odd one who has ended up being able to do no work other than managing their team when others do actual work too and managing their team is an additional task.

It not only illustrates that their technical or business skills are poor but also they're a bit slow when it comes to admin as they're spending the whole day doing team admin stuff that others can arrange on top of actual work.

At one company I worked at there were two managers like that in the same department, one of them got sacked as he was generally hated by his team and was absolutely useless... the other manager had to take on his responsibilities... and then complained that he was "doing two jobs".

Soldato
Absolutely, unless you're very senior - like C level or MD level then being a manager (of people) shouldn't be your full time job.

They're in a minority but you do get the odd one who has ended up being able to do no work other than managing their team when others do actual work too and managing their team is an additional task.

It not only illustrates that their technical or business skills are poor but also they're a bit slow when it comes to admin as they're spending the whole day doing team admin stuff that others can arrange on top of actual work.

At one company I worked at there were two managers like that in the same department, one of them got sacked as he was generally hated by his team and was absolutely useless... the other manager had to take on his responsibilities... and then complained that he was "doing two jobs".
It's a weird situation but I think it happens a lot. I end up with so much admin/little tasks for others, and meetings that it's hard to do much of my actual work. I'm split between technical work and operational bits but it's hard to make time to focus on the tech.

It's frustrating when a manager doesn't even know how to converse and plan for their own team's workload though.

Associate
This is my kinda thread unfortunately... everything ****** me off.

Mono-speeders - those that drive 40mph EVERYWHERE
People who cant use a slip road to match the speed of the traffic, however long it is.
Those that drive on country roads two feet over the white line, then have to lunge over there side of the road when someone comes the other way. This is becoming the norm now round my way, so much so that they dont realise they are doing it. Ive seen them going over hump back bridges doing it too. Its only a matter of time before they drive into someone.
People jogging along a country road.. this is a thing too now, find a path dammit, or run round the field.
anyone that calls me bruv or fella.
Men wearing leggings.
Beards neatly trimmed around the neck.
The current craze of tattoos everywhere, neck tattoo? Really? is that still going to look good when your 55 and trying the get that job you want?
Ebay ads claiming something is rare when it isnt at all.

Plus loads that have already been mentioned.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
This is my kinda thread unfortunately... everything ****** me off.

Those that drive on country roads two feet over the white line, then have to lunge over there side of the road when someone comes the other way. This is becoming the norm now round my way, so much so that they dont realise they are doing it. Ive seen them going over hump back bridges doing it too. Its only a matter of time before they drive into someone.

If you drive a car with low profile tyres then you have to drive like this on the majority of country roads. Most people doing this will likely be driving cars which necessitate this like i do. If i take my wifes SUV then i drive in the gutter on the correct side, but my own car i simply cannot or my tyres and wheels would be ruined.

Associate
If you drive a car with low profile tyres then you have to drive like this on the majority of country roads. Most people doing this will likely be driving cars which necessitate this like i do. If i take my wifes SUV then i drive in the gutter on the correct side, but my own car i simply cannot or my tyres and wheels would be ruined.

i see where you are coming from, pot holes and the like. I have 19s and low profile tyres though manage to stay in my lane most of the time. i actually find its more likely vans, with steel wheels and balloon tyres, and it probably isnt there personal van anyway, or just regular cars with normal wheels, nothing special about them. middle aged men and women, going about there normal lives... on the wrong side of the road.

Soldato
Having not long returned from a couple of weeks in California, I would not really agree with this.....from my what I saw of course in only 2 weeks.

If I had to describe their manner in one word, it would be 'patient'. At stop signs for example, when I was still getting the hang of who goes first, I was waved across, or other people waited for me to move quite regularly.

Maybe it was just the part of California we were in (Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz, and SF)

Did you do much Freeway or Expressway driving? The 101 and the 280 between San Jose and SF make Mad Max look like a driver’s education video.

Back
Top Bottom