• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

really getting fed up with the posts stating RTX/DLSS does not work this gen

Soldato
I find the evga offer stupid, they willing to give $300 kit free with a purchase but not take $300 off the price which indicates there is some kind of pressure to not reduce the price.

Caporegime
Pointing the obvious, doesn't make someone fanboy mate. The whole the criticism is against the anti-consumer practices Nvidia & the developers (who accept NV funding) on cutting down graphic quality on non RTX mode in games. Even when previous iterations of those games/engines had much better image quality. BF5 is a great example of those underhand tactics, Control also.
Also games that are rendering on lower resolution and upscale the image to support "ooh shiny RTX" (eg Control) at barely acceptable performance.

Now the Nvidia fanboys find the upscaling from lower resolution acceptable (direct like in Control or indirect like DLSS), even if they ridicule still those practices on consoles even today, calling everyone with a console a "peasant". Hypocrisy at it's best.

So we point the stupidity of supporting companies (Nvidia, DICE etc) who take you for morons with cheap gimmicks to try sell you overpriced crap.
Grow up Panos. It is a hobby at the end of the day and people choose to spend what they can afford on thrie hobby. Justify it how you want but it is pathetic reading in truth and comes across as bitter!

Soldato
I find the evga offer stupid, they willing to give $300 kit free with a purchase but not take $300 off the price which indicates there is some kind of pressure to not reduce the price.

I think Nvidia are following the way Apple do business. By keeping the prices high it adds the illusion of quality to the brand and product.

It would devalue the brand if they started lowering prices.

Caporegime
I think Nvidia are following the way Apple do business. By keeping the prices high it adds the illusion of quality to the brand and product.

It would devalue the brand if they started lowering prices.
Whilst I agree prices are high, Samsung, Huwei (or however you spell it) and Apple are all competing with high prices. My Mrs treated me to the S10+ and when I see the price, I was like 'ouch'.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I'm no fanboy of any company. I've bought both AMD and Nvidia cards in the past, the last 3 GPU's have been Nvidia, but I only buy a product if I personally think it's worth it, and I found none of the 20 series worth the money they want, for what they offer. It's got nothing to do with jealously. I couldn't care less what other people have. It's got nothing to do with not being able to afford it either, it's about whether a product offers value to me for the price they want, if they don't, then I don't buy.

Nothing against ray tracing either, but it's too early in the technologies life for me to jump in, and pay a premium for the privilege. The performance uplift from the previous generation in normal rasterization was not enough to justify the extra cost, it's as simple as that.

If they were priced like their 10 series equivalents then yes I may have bought one, but they were significantly more expensive, with the only justification that they are first generation ray tracing capable, but to me that wasn't enough, and in hindsight there hasn't been a single game that includes any form of ray tracing that I'm even remotely interested in playing.

Soldato
Grow up Panos. It is a hobby at the end of the day and people choose to spend what they can afford on thrie hobby. Justify it how you want but it is pathetic reading in truth and comes across as bitter!

Is that all you have to say? You prefer to pay money to have the same image quality you had 5 years ago with lesser hardware?

Caporegime
Is that all you have to say? You prefer to pay money to have the same image quality you had 5 years ago with lesser hardware?
Yes it is all I have to say. You have done nothing but whinge and whine in thread after thread about prices and frankly you and a few others are tiresome reading. Stick with your hobby and enjoy it and let others do the same. Trying to belittle people who don't buy the same as you is shameful and bitter.

Soldato
I’ve learnt a long time ago that people who constantly moan and bring up the same topics are just jealous and that’s their own way of trying to cope with their insecurity.

Yes it is all I have to say. You have done nothing but whinge and whine in thread after thread about prices and frankly you and a few others are tiresome reading. Stick with your hobby and enjoy it and let others do the same. Trying to belittle people who don't buy the same as you is shameful and bitter.

This applies to both.

Instead of doing a genuine discussion of my post, you attack me personally and that clearly shows who's insecure in here.
You are the ones trying to justify your purchase in your mind, probably having regretted it too, but to feel better using fallacious argumentative tactics avoiding the subject of discussion and attack the person who made it.

That's the type of discussion underage children at school have when they cannot construct any intelligent argument and is shame to see this forum becoming a mirror of WCCFTECH brainless childish forums.

Soldato
IMHO, Ray Tracing as we know it by nvidia will eventually change once the new consoles are released. With that said, does that invalidate the performance of the 2080ti? No, however, it will depreciate substantially once both next gen consoles/games and Nvidia 3000 series comes out. The only wrench in that cog is if the 2080ti turns out to be just as fast as the 3080. But I doubt Nvidia will do that twice.

All we must do is look at history. Remember Ageia Physx before Nvidia bought it and disabled the daughter card (PPU)? If you do you would know that wasn't the same vision as Nvidia.
Lets look at GRAW2.

Ageia Physx

Nvidia Physx

Physics was scaled back because the gpu was being over taxed. It could be done but in moderation. So in GRAW2 you got a lot of "dirt debris" and other effects not normally found without physx but far below what Ageia Physx could do. All nvidia did was brute force physx into it's current gpus yet it ultimately failed a api. The PPU was absolutely needed and had Nvidia made it available to anyone regardless of video card developers would have eventually adapted it and improved on it immensely. Now I'm talking from a prospective without Nvidia software to do it, an open standard.

Point is if ray tracing is going to be a thing it has to be an open standard. Not a MS API dominated with code in line with how Nvidia does it (brute force). I'm talking about a true open standard both AMD/Nvidia can both use, manipulate and control to get the best out of their hardware.

And, IMO, that is what may eventually happen in 2020. But only time will tell.

Soldato
Nothing which is a closed platform survives long when there are open or free alternatives. We've seen it with Gsync recently which is now on it's death bed.

PhysX never become relevant and Nvidia's incarnation of it ran like crap compared to Ageia's PPU. 3D vision never went anywhere. Other things like "hairworks", again irrelevant. Open platforms for ray-tracing will dominate in future.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Nothing which is a closed platform survives long when there are open or free alternatives. We've seen it with Gsync recently which is now on it's death bed.

PhysX never become relevant and Nvidia's incarnation of it ran like crap compared to Ageia's PPU. 3D vision never went anywhere. Other things like "hairworks", again irrelevant. Open platforms for ray-tracing will dominate in future.

The problem is - and a lot of the reason I have a low opinion of ATI/AMD - a lot of these technologies would never have gotten the traction they have if nVidia hadn't pushed onwards with a propitiatory solution first. Though sadly ingame physics has been very slow going anywhere for the most part. Despite some claims otherwise adaptive sync wasn't coming to the desktop any time soon and it was only due to nVidia pushing G-Sync that we got anything beyond some crude modifications of existing scalers.

3D Vision never was anything but a niche anyhow and a half-way to proper VR - very few people found it convenient for gaming - nVidia pushed it as far as was ever sensible and supported it way after AMD gave up on it.

Before nVidia went all RTX ray tracing technologies were just sitting there on the back burner mostly with some token API functionality for compute use. Suddenly now everyone is sitting up and taking note.

Soldato
Well my minds blown that the RTX funnies is just because people can't afford the cards.

See, your learning everyday fellas :D

Usually people will say their peace and move on - get on with life etc. And most people do, but there are a few who will constantly post the same things in as many threads as they can find "ray tracing is crap" "its blurry" "dlss is crap" "rtx is too expensive". There is a difference between having your opinion on a product you are not interested in and moving on, but to keep ******** on the product like it's your life's mission is something entirely different - usually when you don't like something you ignore it, not look for it and constantly talk about it. Food for thought ;)

Soldato
Nvidia Physx

Physics was scaled back because the gpu was being over taxed. It could be done but in moderation. So in GRAW2 you got a lot of "dirt debris" and other effects not normally found without physx but far below what Ageia Physx could do. All nvidia did was brute force physx into it's current gpus yet it ultimately failed a api. The PPU was absolutely needed and had Nvidia made it available to anyone regardless of video card developers would have eventually adapted it and improved on it immensely. Now I'm talking from a prospective without Nvidia software to do it, an open standard.

And we're paying the price for that failure even today.

Here we have Borderlands 3, 7 years after 2 and yet 2 has much much better physics and particle effects.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Usually people will say their peace and move on - get on with life etc. And most people do, but there are a few who will constantly post the same things in as many threads as they can find "ray tracing is crap" "its blurry" "dlss is crap" "rtx is too expensive". There is a difference between having your opinion on a product you are not interested in and moving on, but to keep ******** on the product like it's your life's mission is something entirely different - usually when you don't like something you ignore it, not look for it and constantly talk about it. Food for thought ;)
Depends, not everyone thinks the same. I say what I say because I either mean it or in some cases am on a wind up. If I am saying I am not impressed enough with RTX just yet, then why would I want an RTX right now? For what is on offer right now, the price premium is just not worth it for me. But I have no issues with others enjoying it.

For my next long term gpu I am holding out for the 3000 series where I think we will get a big boost in RT cores/performance. It works out for me waiting also as all the games I am interested in playing come out next year anyways :)

In the mean time I enjoy watching threads this and playing some older games when I get the time on my 970 :D

Soldato

Welcome to the internet :p

Caporegime
Depends, not everyone thinks the same. I say what I say because I either mean it or in some cases am on a wind up. If I am saying I am not impressed enough with RTX just yet, then why would I want an RTX right now? For what is on offer right now, the price premium is just not worth it for me. But I have no issues with others enjoying it.

For my next long term gpu I am holding out for the 3000 series where I think we will get a big boost in RT cores/performance. It works out for me waiting also as all the games I am interested in playing come out next year anyways :)

In the mean time I enjoy watching threads this and playing some older games when I get the time on my 970 :D
My next plan is to get a PS5 and then whinge and whine at anyone who buys PC parts, as they are getting "ripped off" etc and I will keep on and on and on, as that is fair game apparently :p

Back
Top Bottom