**** The official Huawei P30 / P30 Pro thread ****

Soldato
Noticed there wasn't a thread on this phone, I guess take up has been hindered by the US/Huawei antics. Either that or I've bought a dud!

Anyway mine arrives today, anybody else have one?
How are you finding it? What accessories do you have?

----------------------

Thought my deal was v good through Mobile phones direct

24x £45
£240 cashback
£42 topcashback
£240 worth of free Spotify premium
£150 Huawei GT watch included
Vodafone unlimited Max sim

Take the free watch out of the equation and it works out at £23 per month or £558 for the phone and Vodafone max sim

Soldato
Thought my deal was v good through Mobile phones direct

I was very tempted by that deal and if it hadn't been cashback by redemption it would have been much harder to resist. I also like your man maths of taking every feature at its maximum RRP and deducting it directly from the overall contract price, even when you might not have wanted Spotify or a GT Watch :)

Soldato
OP
Can't beat a bit of man maths, althoughbi already pay for Spotify and I've not included selling the watch as part of my figures, £23 per month is regardless of the watch value.

In fact selling the watch for £70 boxed and even the unboxed phone to Samsung trade in for £300 cash leaves you with a SIM only deal at around £7 pm

Agree regarding redemption though, it's a pain.

Soldato
Redemption £240 cashback makes it ok but without it I paid similar on launch with the Sonos speaker (£37 monthly with £140 upfront, Vodafone so free Spotify too).

Be interesting to know if they improved the colour reproduction as that was a big problem and reason I returned it (plenty of photos in the thread). Looking back on the stuff I backed up to Google Photos, the zoom is still amazing and slaps Samsung S10 around for ability to basically see at night.

Caporegime
Nearly went for this phone (Pro) but after looking at camera I decided it wasn't worth it.

The s10 doesn't have the zoom but is generally better than the cam on this otherwise (except total darkness)
But I'm not happy settling on a phone when they are this much

I wanted to want this phone if that makes sense

Soldato
Yeah same as I value camera and battery in a phone. It certainly delivered on battery life but camera just too hit and miss for day to day use, much happier with the S10e. Ironically the Samsung is failing hard on the battery life but I think there's some kind of issue with my phone.

Not sure if Huawei managed to improve the colour reproduction with updates and consistency across the lenses or it's just something you have to live with due to RYYB sensor.

Soldato
OP
Will be interesting to see, likewise my phone choices are usually driven by camera and battery performance.

The main push for getting this now is because I've managed to lose my camera and I hoped this would fill the void for our summer holiday. Having been a photographer for a living for a number of years something like colour issues is going to be a killer for me.

I currently have a Pixel 1 and 9 times out of ten it's spot on .

Soldato
The Mate 30 Pro and some other Huawei phones are being announced later today. The specs of the Pro model look great, that slow-mo mode : 7680fps @ 720p ...... but no Google support :(

48757461243_3cd003d99b_b.jpg

48757975182_84d7cd7266_b.jpg

Soldato
The phone looks like a washing machine :D
I really don't see why anybody would get one of these with them not having official access to Google apps :confused:

You can install Gapps yourself I'm sure as with most imported Xiaomi phones etc

However I'm sure this will put mobile carriers off , so it is a bit of ball ache for Huawei.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not impressed at all tbh.

Same here. No 90hz screen either, which is something I'm really keen to have on my next phone. And did I see the price at 1099euro? I know they're a bit stuck not having Google Play services and all that, but come on. A gimped phone at that price? I don't care how much front they show, Huawei have to accept that the Mate 30 Pro needs serious assistance if it's going to sell more than a handful in most parts of the world.

Soldato
Yep, the hardware spec could be dripping with the latest tech but without Google Mobile Services it’s pretty much useless.
Longer term their own Mobile Services might be developed enough but today, “I’m out” :p

Soldato
I just noticed it’s 1199 euros for the 5g version. Even if they had access to Google services, this represents another step change in pricing...a step change upwards of course.

Why did they even bother?

Soldato
Lol, I'll go against the grain and say none of the above is a deal breaker for me so I'm still interested. I've had a 120Hz Sharp a while back and never missed it when I went back to a Pixel, currently running a OP7Pro as my daily device and again won't miss the 90hz . GApps missing will definitely alientate mass consumers but it's not an issue personally, install them yourself. The circular camera surround reminds me of the 1020 to a degree and I don't mind the screen resolution or the waterfall design, it seems to round off at a greater degree than previous curved screens such as the Galaxy edges or OP7Pro for instance so hopefully no awkward navigations.

Yes, I did frown at the prices but that seems to be the current market trend, Pixel 4 XL will have that 'shaft the UK' tax too I imagine. This will depreciate a lot faster though that's for sure.

This, the Vivo Nex3 or FXtec Pro 1 will probably be my next device. I'm seeking counselling. :rolleyes:

Soldato
I’m not saying the Mate 30 Pro is a bad phone, it’s just another glossy piece of tech with no USP and a ridiculous price.

Back
Top Bottom