Samsung Galaxy Tab S6

Associate
Has anyone tried this device yet?

Surprised it's not getting more attention, the specs look great for an Android tablet and it's been a while since Samsung went all out with the specs. Seems to have gone under the radar a little, or is the interest in Android tablets really this bad now? :D

I'll probably drop in JL later and pick one up, need a replacement for my Pixel C.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_tab_s6-9781.php

Associate
Im on the fence of getting the 256gb one. I already have an 11" iPad pro but use a Note10+. It makes more sense to have a Tab S6 as my tablet as it has call & text continuity which is a big factor for me. I know performance-wise the iPad is unbeatable but I havent found use for such power on a tablet.

Associate
OP
Im on the fence of getting the 256gb one. I already have an 11" iPad pro but use a Note10+. It makes more sense to have a Tab S6 as my tablet as it has call & text continuity which is a big factor for me. I know performance-wise the iPad is unbeatable but I havent found use for such power on a tablet.

I'm gonna get the 256G model, it's not a lot extra imo

Also I've watched a few videos where it seems to be a bit quicker when starting apps and even benchmarks a little faster, but who knows, it was clearly a sponsored video.

I have no interest in iPads at all, if it runs iOS in any form I'm just not interested.

Last edited:
Associate
Since the Tab S6 finally uses a top of the line Qualcomm processor, I am pretty sure it will perform as I expect a high-end phone will. I've had the Note 10.1 2014 Edition which I used until it died on me. Then I purchased a Tab S3 which was way underpowered when it was released. Tab S6 seems to be a proper flagship tablet.

I have watched a lot of videos of the Tab S6 and I think im sold. Will you purchase the keyboard cover as well? Please share your impressions when you get yours.

Soldato
I was debating this but decided to drop down to the S5e instead as it fits more with my usage (watching media, browsing). Most of the specs are pretty similar between the two (screen, quad speakers, etc) and the software is pretty much the same apart from the lack of s-pen support on the S5e. So can't say anything about the performance and other S6 specific stuff but the screen is great and the speakers are pretty good quality, bonus that it's always stereo no matter what orientation you hold it.

I wasn't planning on using Dex mode at all but it was surprisingly nice to use, and I have found no issues at all with any apps when using it. There's also Linux on Dex as well which runs a full Ubuntu based image on top of Dex mode, so you can run proper desktop Linux apps, but on the S5e the performance is pretty poor with it, I suspect the SD855 in the S6 should be a lot more capable for it.

Associate
OP
Strangely the JL near me didn't have the bookcover in stock so I've just got the tablet for now, not had very long to play around with it but it's incredibly thin and light for a 10" tablet. Much thinner than my Note 9 and my chunky Pixel C.

Fingerprint scanner works really well and it's fast, I think it's optical similar to the OnePlus devices. Performance seems fine so far, very snappy and the display is of course gorgeous. The sound while good feels like something is missing, I guess sound from a device this thin is never going to blow anyone away, it's miles better than Pixel C though.

Will give it a full charge and play around some more, I'll probably pickup the bookcover before the weekend.

Last edited:
Associate
Strangely the JL near me didn't have the bookcover in stock so I've just got the tablet for now, not had very long to play around with it but it's incredibly thin and light for a 10" tablet. Much thinner than my Note 9 and my chunky Pixel C.

Fingerprint scanner works really well and it's fast, I think it's optical similar to the OnePlus devices. Performance seems fine so far, very snappy and the display is of course gorgeous. The sound while good feels like something is missing, I guess sound from a device this thin is never going to blow anyone away, it's miles better than Pixel C though.

Will give it a full charge and play around some more, I'll probably pickup the bookcover before the weekend.

Nice first impressions. You bought the 256GB one? Do you use a Galaxy phone as well? Wondering how well call & text continuity works?

Edit: Can you confirm if the Tab S6 has UFS 3.0?

I was debating this but decided to drop down to the S5e instead as it fits more with my usage (watching media, browsing). Most of the specs are pretty similar between the two (screen, quad speakers, etc) and the software is pretty much the same apart from the lack of s-pen support on the S5e. So can't say anything about the performance and other S6 specific stuff but the screen is great and the speakers are pretty good quality, bonus that it's always stereo no matter what orientation you hold it.

I wasn't planning on using Dex mode at all but it was surprisingly nice to use, and I have found no issues at all with any apps when using it. There's also Linux on Dex as well which runs a full Ubuntu based image on top of Dex mode, so you can run proper desktop Linux apps, but on the S5e the performance is pretty poor with it, I suspect the SD855 in the S6 should be a lot more capable for it.

I like the Tab S5e as well but found the processor (based on reviews) to be lacking in performance. SPen is a must for me as I am slowly moving towards a paperless lifestyle.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought this on release day so I've had it a while. It's a superb device. Use it in my workflow at work (with it all in secure folder) with all my own stuff outside it. The 256gb version is probably worth it as it has 8gb ram rather than 6gb on the smaller capacity version.

Call and text continuity works well. I have a note 10+ 5g. Samsung link is also quite cool to use as it gives you your phone notifications on the tab so you can respond to WhatsApp messages too.

Also worth buying rotation control pro app so you can landscape every portrait app if that's what you want or control on a per app basis. Works really well.

Associate
OP
Nice first impressions. You bought the 256GB one? Do you use a Galaxy phone as well? Wondering how well call & text continuity works?

Edit: Can you confirm if the Tab S6 has UFS 3.0?

Yep, it's the 256GB model, not a big enough price difference to even consider the 128GB version imo. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't shell out the extra.

Not had a chance to test call/text continuity, as far as I'm aware it's UFS 3.0 but I'll test it later.

One complaint about the tablet is the oversized icons, which don't appear have increased in resolution at all vs the icons on my phone, looks a bit ganky if I'm honest. Tried Nova Launcher almost right away but it doesn't seem to work correctly, switching to landscape mode seems glitched, with the dock staying to the right, no obvious way to access the app draw and a weird menu when swiping from the right... I'll play around with it when I have time, the Nova settings menu is a complete mess though. Obviously not an issue with the tablet itself, just Nova Launcher being weird.

EDIT: Almost forgot, the lack of a headphone jack is disappearing, plus they never included an adaptor which is annoying. Will any Type C Audio/Jack work or do we have to buy one from Samsung? Let me guess, another £15. :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Anyone got Google Assistant working on this tablet? Keeps freezing for me, the settings as well so every time try starting it I basically have to restart the tablet.

Noticed I can use my Note 9 pen with this tablet, which is handy as the chunky one that came with it I left in the box. :p

Associate
OP
Picked up the book cover earlier this morning and it's great, I would even say is an essential purchase for this tablet, the back adds protection as well as being a stand and pen holder. The keyboard with trackpad is functional and lightweight.

Got everything working, Google Assistant started working after a few restarts, and there was a zoom setting in the tablets settings that was glitching Nova Launcher, once changed it works as expected.

Caporegime
I've got my eye on this with the book cover as a combined family / work device. It looks really appealing, apart from the lack of stereo jack.

Will probably plump for the 128GB version, as with an SD card the storage it comes with is irrelevant and I can't see an extra 2GB of RAM making any real difference to any but power users.

@braveheart With the LTE version, presumably you have to take out a new SIM card subscription separate to your mobile phone?

Or can you use a duplicate EE SIM and have the same number as your mobile through the tablet?

Associate
OP
I've got my eye on this with the book cover as a combined family / work device. It looks really appealing, apart from the lack of stereo jack.

Will probably plump for the 128GB version, as with an SD card the storage it comes with is irrelevant and I can't see an extra 2GB of RAM making any real difference to any but power users.

@braveheart With the LTE version, presumably you have to take out a new SIM card subscription separate to your mobile phone?

Or can you use a duplicate EE SIM and have the same number as your mobile through the tablet?

On a normal Android device, I would agree that the extra 2GB of memory probably isn't needed, but this is Samsung so I would argue you do need it for a smooth experience. There isn't much installed on the tablet out the box but it's already using more than 4GB of RAM.

Caporegime
On a normal Android device, I would agree that the extra 2GB of memory probably isn't needed, but this is Samsung so I would argue you do need it for a smooth experience. There isn't much installed on the tablet out the box but it's already using more than 4GB of RAM.
Just ordered the 6GB RAM WiFi version with the keyboard book cover for a paltry...£782. 5% cashback expected via Quidco.

I feel an absolute mug for spending this much on an Android tablet, but on the other hand we will definitely use its functionality as a family.

My job, my wife's job, children's homework, kids drawing, Netflix, etc.

Associate
OP
Just ordered the 6GB RAM WiFi version with the keyboard book cover for a paltry...£782. 5% cashback expected via Quidco.

I feel an absolute mug for spending this much on an Android tablet, but on the other hand we will definitely use its functionality as a family.

My job, my wife's job, children's homework, kids drawing, Netflix, etc.

Should be fine, a laptop for the same price would be much more capable in terms of performance and software support but wouldn't even come close in terms of the display quality and form factor, and of course battery life. Which I have to say has been amazing, 6 to 8 hours screen on time with some gaming is impressive to me.

Soldato
Should be fine, a laptop for the same price would be much more capable in terms of performance and software support but wouldn't even come close in terms of the display quality and form factor, and of course battery life. Which I have to say has been amazing, 6 to 8 hours screen on time with some gaming is impressive to me.
I second this the screen is brilliant

Back
Top Bottom