Type R and VTEC owners

Associate
The LSD makes a huge difference.

Cool thanks for the info.

Just need to see what my R26 sells for and then decide if I can justify upping my budget for one (original plan was to sell my Megane for £6k and spend 2-3k on a replacement, but as normal the price of the cars that interest me is a good bit more than that!)

Associate
R26 to an FN2 seems a bit of a side-grade as I'd personally place them within the same bracket, I suppose the FN2 is a bit more refined for comfort and long driving I suppose?

LSD does indeed make a huge difference but for fast road driving I'd think you'd rarely find a time where you'd be missing having an LSD vs having decent tyres and geo - though my non-LSD FN2 experience is about 4 years old now. I've since had 2 with an LSD.
To buy and have an aftermarket diff fitted would be in the region of £800-1200.

Yeah, R26 to FN2 would be a side-grade as such. The Megane is very good when driven hard (it's been played with and is running 296bhp/307ft lbs) but I don't absolutely love the car and I don't get to drive it that hard as much as I'd like. If I can free up a grand or 2 and still get something that's good for the routine drives, but has the ability to excite me if I do get chance to drive it hard, I'd be happy.

Soldato
https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/acura-type-s-concept-previews-next-tlx

Give us that, That make the perfect return of the Accord for us, it'll most likely never happen but one can dream.

Give it a V6, with SH-AWD, with a Manual or some type of dual clutch auto (And not the usual power sapping autos Honda usually put in their cars) with an attractive price and i'd be all over that.

It sucks Honda never really gave us their V6 cars, Don't understand why we never got the V6 in the last Accord released here (my accord), the 2nd gen TSX which is the exact same car as our 8th gen accords got a 280hp 3.5 V6, but we got the K24 (Which is still a great engine), I reckon it would have been a great contender against the usual german saloon segment.

Associate
Personally wouldn't mind seeing a new generation Integra with similar engine to the fk2/fk8 but with slightly more power and other bits and bob to make it unique.

As an ex-DC2 and FN2 owner with a DC5 sat cosy in my garage and a CR-V to keep family happy, definitely.

They’d probably balls it up, give it 5 doors and stick wingalings everywhere though :mad:

Associate
As an ex-DC2 and FN2 owner with a DC5 sat cosy in my garage and a CR-V to keep family happy, definitely.

They’d probably balls it up, give it 5 doors and stick wingalings everywhere though :mad:
What like the direction Mazda went with the RX8? Though I do like the RX8 lets hope Honda doesn't go that route haha.

Associate
Is high mileage much of an issue on the FN2s? I presume buying based on service history and condition is more important, but is there anything to look out for or factor in cost wise when looking at cars with 100/110/120k+ miles on them?

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Is high mileage much of an issue on the FN2s? I presume buying based on service history and condition is more important, but is there anything to look out for or factor in cost wise when looking at cars with 100/110/120k+ miles on them?

Not really, remember for their age 100k+ is about average milage per year.

Make sure the engine has had valve clearances and timing chain checked on schedule, otherwise they're generally rock solid if the oil is kept on top of. From there it's just consumables really, maybe droplinks, air con has some known issues (dodgy relay, clutch not engaging). Mechanically they're pretty simple and for the most part, cheap.

Civinfo has a buyers checklist:
https://www.civinfo.com/forum/type-r/130354-fn2-buying-guide-checklist.html#post2003770

Associate
I’m now back in the type r club. 5 years ago I had a fn2 and a ep3 before that. The last 5 years have been in a 2014 Audi s3. Great car but it does everything too well leaving it boring to drive.
Back in a type r and it does make me smile again but the ride compared with the s3.... ouch.... I’d forgotten it was that bad.
It an 08 plate, 54k, 1owner, fhsh, overall in good condition.
Couple of bits wrong, a/c needed a regas (see how long that lasts)
Climate/radio screen temperamental, need a hit to work. (Got another off eBay ready to fit)
Rear wheel bearing, I’ll do it when I get time.

Overall I’m happy with it.

Associate
Not really, remember for their age 100k+ is about average milage per year.

Make sure the engine has had valve clearances and timing chain checked on schedule, otherwise they're generally rock solid if the oil is kept on top of. From there it's just consumables really, maybe droplinks, air con has some known issues (dodgy relay, clutch not engaging). Mechanically they're pretty simple and for the most part, cheap.

Civinfo has a buyers checklist:
https://www.civinfo.com/forum/type-r/130354-fn2-buying-guide-checklist.html#post2003770

Thanks, will have a look through the buyers guide.

Regarding the factory LSD, was it only the Championship White cars that had one fitted prior to them being fitted as standard on cars manufactured after April '10? Or was it available as an option before then?

Soldato
Started getting my DC2 back on the road again after a few years sitting dormant in the garage.

Carried on where I left off with fitting new rear ABS sensors (from Rockauto USA) and the left one has a different bracket to attach to to the rear control arm. Doh and wat?!

Reused the old one and then got the rear brakes done. Looking forward to getting her out and on the road again before winter.

Soldato
Just sold my 16 plate Civic DTEC. Country lanes and too many pot holes and bushes avoiding tractors so passed it on for something cheaper.

Bought an 08 plate Civic Type S with the 1.8 VTEC. 44K on the clock, full FSH with Honda for £4800. Banked £6.5k in the deal.

Should be a bit more fun with less worry.

Nearly two years on and it has been perfect. Still drive it daily through the country lanes and put 14K on the mileage. I've replaced the battery (kind of knew this when I bought it though), 2 new tyres as one got badly torn one day and the rear discs and pads.

Apart from that, just a service and 2 MOT's which it passed with flying colours. The missus keeps asking when I am going to sell it to get something 'newer' (she hates driving it as it has zero sensors). I'm keeping it till it dies, probably in about 10 years at this rate!

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Had mine 6 years, it's on 161k and I hammer it daily with zero mercy. It has had a few things go... Front shocks, input shaft bearing, front calipers and drop links but nothing that has really cost me enough that I feel I've spent an actual fortune to maintain it although done a lot of work myself for experience and cost.

It does look and feel like a second hand car though and the 18" wheels and crap rear suspension really make for a rough ride. Going to have to let it go for an estate or similar soon and it's made me soft and want something comfy.

To be fair to your missus reversing the thing isn't fun when you're not used to it daily. Remember when I first drove one and couldn't believe how stupid the rear window design was. Then year later bought one anyway :D

Man of Honour
OP
Caffeine and Machine trip today, excellent little spot.

ce905f1965c39ede719d2f6ef80f9a60.jpg

Then put on the private plate I bought months ago.

f2a80a5c1df56d98a886b7f5eca7bf2e.jpg

Haters gonna hate.

Associate
I'm considering a Type R, I'm leaning towards an ep3 as it's going to be a weekend car so I don't really need the additional comfort/refinement of the FN2.

Back
Top Bottom