Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Caporegime
Hows peoples funds done over the past 2 days?
I've pretty much lost Everything i've made this year. 2019 is going to be terrible.
Starting to wish i bought a house instead.
thats not entirely true im being dramatic... lol

I was up to 16.8% this time last week but now down to 12.8% today. It looks like it’ll drop to about 11% by end of today in the US.

Soldato
FED cutting rates this early is kinda bearish though its complicated by loose money. With the amount sterling has fallen, I'm up 1% or so overall 7 days and if gold were stay here(+20%) or higher then from what I can tell the income the stocks get from abroad makes them look good.
I checked the Dollar index, its not going up or spiking up as stocks go down which I would guess shows we arent especially in a bearish move.
I was reading the report for FXPO and it seems to be great, so as usual stocks are trying to predict the future which is harder to say but imo Dollar wont make a new high and sterling might recover once news passes; its going to take a lot for it to ever appear strong.
Selling I hope helps knock the froth off so I can take an interest of stuff I watched for too long as it rose and meanwhile FRES is helped greatly by that sector being favoured and similarly other stocks.

If the gold fund I bought last tax year can bubble up 66% like I wrote, hoped for at the time I'll sell some as all these prices move in waves and to me that seems like enough to take profits going on 2016 vs fund prices. Then I can rebalance from that sector over to others but its rarely this easy.

If DXY does make a new high then it should register as a big deal with many I guess
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/DX-Y.NYB?p=DX-Y.NYB&.tsrc=fin-srch

LuBkWrD.png

8jptP4k.png

MtOPhUb.png

ycdDhvK.png

yZ9q6kI.png

v6lNKvx.jpg

Soldato
The trick to reading FT articles is to google the headline and it then it will show the document as they are obliged to display if they are to appear in search results. Probably applies to a few sites like this. Figured I can at least provide that useful tip.

https://www.ft.com/content/1911b0e6...tner/feed_headline/us_yahoo/auddev&yptr=yahoo

Seems to be a normal case of doubts and upset or should I be more negative. 65m in interest per year is pretty horrible either way I guess
First production at the Woodsmith mine is expected in 2021,
This seems very fast, if true then thats good justification

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4283148-just-incredible

Last edited:
Associate
Does anyone know why my deposit keep having an error on Vangaurd? I managed it once, thats now invested.

I keep trying to add some more but it keeps saying there is an error. Card details are 100% correct, maybe my bank blocking it? I normally get a txt or a call if that's the case though!

Associate
I've been searching the thread for recommendations for a platform to do a small amount of light trading (one or two a month, not large amounts, nothing I can't afford to lose entirely) - x-o.co.uk would seem to fit the bill as an execution only platform. Anything to watch out for with them? The charges seem to fit well what I'm planning to use them for.

Soldato
I've got a couple grand i was going to chuck into my ISA and i'd usually split it accross the few funds i already hold.

With the way most funds and markets have been the last week or 2. Is it worth me holding onto it, or just sticking it in on the basis that eventually the markets should recover anyway rather than trying to time a specific entry point. It's all long term based saving anyway.

Soldato
I've got a couple grand i was going to chuck into my ISA and i'd usually split it accross the few funds i already hold.

With the way most funds and markets have been the last week or 2. Is it worth me holding onto it, or just sticking it in on the basis that eventually the markets should recover anyway rather than trying to time a specific entry point. It's all long term based saving anyway.

Personally the quote below always rings true for me

time in the market beats timing the market

Caporegime

As soon as you can is the answer, regardless of how the market is doing, according to the data.

Soldato
Well theres a lesson to you all.

When there's a company you want to invest in, that uses Crowncube as their platform and they send out an email in advance reminding people to check their accounts etc. Make sure you do it!

I wanted to invest in Curve, i think they've a brilliant product. Got the link to register. Clicked it and it turns out my Crowdcube account isn't verified, the link is then broken so i can't verify it and they now seem to be having server issues. Meanwhile the investment is overfunded!

Soldato
Moving back to the UK....what's the best platform for securities trading these days? Mostly looking for something with the major securities markets and a decent range of funds. Long term holdings but cheap enough transaction costs to do some short-medium term trades ideally.

Soldato
Depends on the size dealt I think but trading funds is generally best.

Bad news for Sirius minerals, as I read it they could not secure funding of half a billion with an interest rate below 15% which causes a problem to JPM who would back the startup costs but not allow a higher cost.
We have the ECB moving to negative rates but this is the scenario for a viable business and probably similarly others, a strange disparity between the two. I think they will get funds eventually but it might not favour equity.
Its a buyers market, I think this is why APF might be a buy

https://citywire.co.uk/funds-inside...ampaign=BulkEmail_FundsInsider+DawnChorus#i=2

Caporegime
Sxx is yet another I lost on in the end. Thank goodness I decided trading isn't for me earlier this year.

Going to hurt a lot of retail investors this.
And a big blow for employment up there.
40p seems a long time ago.

Last edited:
Associate
Sxx is yet another I lost on in the end. Thank goodness I decided trading isn't for me earlier this year.

Going to hurt a lot of retail investors this.
And a big blow for employment up there.

It was clear to me that this was a high risk share, glad I stayed well away.

My portfolio is made up of low risk businesses, which are cash positive generative businesses which are also aligned with returning shareholder value.

Soldato
High risk is when they are exploring and have not yet found the resource or established its economically recoverable as is much oil and gold exploration. This was quite moderate compared to some projects as its in the UK it should be a great thing or somehow if we find an iffy regime in a remote country is better business that would be a bit tragic but now its priced in the region of its cash balance i think.
I know the Chinese wanted to buy the largest potash miner in the world because its a good long term market with demand; in general China has noticed they are better off buying assets relating to their import costs then stacking up treasury debt which is not a market likely to return value so imo quite a few things are 'cheap' in that consideration.
BHP have bought this resource previously, the list of investors for SXX was quite impressive because it was not a bad risk just we live in extraordinary times where they cannot get funding.

I sold it at peak pricing many times previously but didnt figure its a sell now, the market is just very lumpy and uneven seems like. Agriculture is a sector I think is going to see growth, not much choice on increasing production required but its not an easy place to be.
I wish they could start small but that would involve surface mining I guess and is not viable but the resource isnt about to evaporate. Gold mines take a decade to setup properly (look at EGO for the largest mine in Europe, terrible troubles), seems patience is required but probably worth it. 20p was a sell I noted but didnt realise it'd then half and half again from there :o

This is the biggest operator - https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/NTR?p=NTR

The worlds biggest float ever is the Saudi oil float, somehow that is happening now. They surely dont intend to proceed with a war with Iran then.

ACA is now ABX probably for the best and now I get a little dividend again. Yet another gold miner disappears from the range of the FTSE, if gold does ever recover properly its going to be lost gains for quite a few.
FRES is still challenged but helped partly by silver.

I think gold will pull back, GLD in the region of 150 was the target for this year. I dont think it loses all its gains but gold moves like an oil tanker. I think gold is a buy but I'd like people to sell and give up so I can buy from weak hands and 10% drops in commodities is always viable per day, after a few of those its worth a look at long term prospects. AAZ I sold a while back (its risen 1000% )because its right next to Iran, can it drop a lot now or maybe its unaffected by this idea but generally a pullback in gold could be highly profitable to buy into imo
I didnt want to meddle and change old orders to sell CEY at 150 and seems that was correct, same reasoning I think 120 is a buy though its always high risk. I hope they improve their grams per ton.

They tipped SXX at 15p Aug1st but now with say sell. Considering the risk thats fair enough but Im sure anything can be a bad risk and unknown, the factors here are known and domestic. Seems a bit late to act clever about it now

Last edited:
Soldato
Checked mine for the first time in ages and was a nice surprise to see that I'm up about 22% on my indexes and about 25% on my REIT fund.

Took some profit a few months ago when I closed one account to consolidate, took the earnings and done a European holiday with spending money and flights, for 'free' :D

Kinda tempted now to start throwing some money at dividend yield stocks.

Caporegime
Other one I had was Thomas Cook. Luckily I sold before the death but also lost on that.

I really do pick em!

Seem to have much more success with crypto, not sure why. But that's what I stick to now

Soldato
Other one I had was Thomas Cook. Luckily I sold before the death but also lost on that.

I really do pick em!

Seem to have much more success with crypto, not sure why. But that's what I stick to now
Trouble with crypto is that it's only been around for a little over 10 years, which is not a lot of time on the grand scale of things. While some should be relatively safe, there's a lot of **** that will no longer exist at some point.
Stocks IMO should be bought for a minimum of 5 years, ideally, much longer.
I've made some duff decisions in the past (as everyone will) but stocks have paid off very well for me, as a long term investor. Have to remember that many stocks pay good dividends too. I get thousands a year in dividends now, after holding some good divi payers for the long term. I'm pretty good at risk management and gauging risk levels so thankfully the worse performers have mostly been with smaller holdings.

I hold crypto but a very small % of what I have invested in total (stocks, property etc).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom