• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI Vega 56 or 64 Airboost thoughts?

Associate
A few suppliers are now clearing these out the vega 56 is around £219 and the 64 is £269, but I've been reading so many stories about how bad a card they are, and undervolting is a must to keep them from crashing or overheating.

I did place and order for a Vega 56 but cancelled it this morning before it got dispatched.

I've currently got a 1050ti, not a hard core gamer but I run 3 1080p monitors in portrait mode. It was playing gears 4 on two monitors in portrait perfectly fine for me, not tried with three as of yet as I was just setting it all up.

The setup is a AMD Ryzen 3700X - 32GB 3200 Crucial ram - 1tb SSD with a Arous X570 Elite MOBO.

Should I bite the bullet or wait, not in any real hurry to replace the card, it was just a good price.

Thanks all.

Associate
Hi;

Bought mine 56 Airboost a year ago. Running fine without crashing or overheating.
Mem goes up to 875Mhz and clock to 1652Mhz on air. For 24/7 P6 and P7 to 1025mV PL:+20% for 180Watts usually run between 1450Mhz and 1525Mhz. For gaming use Chill.
For 219 or 269 pounds; my opinion is a no-brainer for 1440p.

Soldato
It depends how fussy you are really. Some people are obsessive about fan noise and say that blower cards are far too loud to consider.

I have the MSI Vega 56 Airboost and I really like it. They're amazing value.

Your Vega 56 Vs Vega 64 question comes down to how much you want to spend. They're both great value.

Associate
OP
not a hard core gamer, still do a bit here and there. The PC will mainly be used for some video work as the Mrs has a cooking youtube channel and she wants to get back into making vids, so i'll be doing the editing, and possibly some rendering/converting etc as an when I get time. Kids will use it for youtube.

Soldato
I had a reference Vega 64 for a while (the Air Boost is the same cooler with a different shroud), and I didn't find it too bad really. It's audible, but not a particularly annoying sound. Undervolting does help a lot though. Not only with noise, but with performance. The card will boost higher than stock because it won't just be crashing into the power limit all the time. There's really no reason not to do it, since it takes a couple of minutes in WattMan at most.

Associate
I can only talk about the Vega64 reference I had for a week before it went under water. Even with under volting it was hot and loud. However I did have good results using the power saver feature in wattman and using the FPS limiter in the Radeon software. As long as you have a well ventilated case you will be fine.

Associate
OP
Thanks all, I am tempted, however no hurry so will hold off a little and maybe go with a 5700 at a later date.

Associate
I have the msi Vega 56, they are not loud. People who say they are have faulty fans. My first one was like this and loud and I exchanged it because it's not normal. This one is barely audible when gaming with the sound off. You'll notice a lot of people say they can still hear the fans with headphones on. I don't know why they put up with it.

Oh and I've left it at stock because there's nothing wrong it and doesn't need touching.
Does not crash or overheat when gaming.

Soldato
Reviewers said vega was/is ****, some people are yelling the same thing. That said i'm very happy with my Vega 64. It's a powerhouse if a bit of optimization has been done. Now of course this is the main problem, Vega is suppose to be a bit more difficult to optimize for. Right now i'm playing borderlands 3 and using the DX12 API i'm able to blast everything to max and still enjoy over 90fps at 1080p and while that doesn't sound like much, try and compare it to the online results and it's actually pretty good. So if you can get a new card with warranty for cheap like those quoted 140 quids lower than a 5700 then i'd certainly go for it.

Soldato
Rumours about a mid range navi launch in October, might bring vega 56 power to a 150 mid tier card from amd. As there might be coming to replace the 5xx card range. So maybe wait for those?

Man of Honour
I loved my Vega 64 although it was a Powecolour which was one of the preferred manufacturers. At £219 I would say that V56 is worth getting.

Soldato
A few suppliers are now clearing these out the vega 56 is around £219 and the 64 is £269, but I've been reading so many stories about how bad a card they are, and undervolting is a must to keep them from crashing or overheating.

I did place and order for a Vega 56 but cancelled it this morning before it got dispatched.

I've currently got a 1050ti, not a hard core gamer but I run 3 1080p monitors in portrait mode. It was playing gears 4 on two monitors in portrait perfectly fine for me, not tried with three as of yet as I was just setting it all up.

The setup is a AMD Ryzen 3700X - 32GB 3200 Crucial ram - 1tb SSD with a Arous X570 Elite MOBO.

Should I bite the bullet or wait, not in any real hurry to replace the card, it was just a good price.

Thanks all.

The MSI Airboost V56/64 are basically reference cards with a better blower cooler, having less airflow restrictions.

Personally my idea is to get a RX 5700 reference, some going for £301 brand new, and flash the BIOS to the 5700XT.
You will get more from your money in the long term.

Just a thought from someone who loved his Vega 64s, but loves more the 5700XT AE (with the reference cooler still)

Associate
The MSI Airboost V56/64 are basically reference cards with a better blower cooler, having less airflow restrictions.

Personally my idea is to get a RX 5700 reference, some going for £301 brand new, and flash the BIOS to the 5700XT.
You will get more from your money in the long term.

Just a thought from someone who loved his Vega 64s, but loves more the 5700XT AE (with the reference cooler still)
How much of a performance uplift is going from a watered called v64 to your 5700xt.

Permabanned

Thanks all.

I had a Vega 64 blower briefly & they're loud, really loud under load, I'll never buy another & based on your PC specs it'll definitely be the weakest link. Personally I'd stick to the 1050ti while I save up for a Navi or Turing card.

Associate
OP
thanks all, will hold out for a bit, been thinking about it and I think the vega would do the job, but for the money I'll wait a bit and get something later on, if any good deals appear on black friday I might bite then.

Soldato
How much of a performance uplift is going from a watered called v64 to your 5700xt.

Game dependent.
eg on WOT from 90-105fps with 8600K @ 5Ghz and heavily overclocked V64 (all watercooled) went to 130-144 range with 3900X & 5700XT AE (all aircooled)
And if I do not cap the FPS it gets to 150-170 range like my old GTX1080Ti and makes the game a slideshow.

Other games I play like ESO & SWTOR, always had to make custom profile for that game to run on Vega 64, because it was downclocking the card to 500mhz. With custom profile forcing P7 state as minimum was the only option to work, yet the 5700XT AE has more overall performance (and these two games are predominately CPU bound) even when sleeping and is CPU bound.

On the Division 2 didn't saw much change but that about it.

Personally I am really happy and looking forward when come back to the island next few weeks watercool the card.

Man of Honour
v56 is now under £198, and v64 is under £243, you'l also get 1% cashback on that price going via quidco/tcb making those cards a couple of quid cheaper ;)

Back
Top Bottom