• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

really getting fed up with the posts stating RTX/DLSS does not work this gen

Associate
How long do consoles last? i havn't bought a PS4 but prior to that they all suffered from overheating at somepoint because the cooling is barely adequate, you cannot properly clean them yourselves without invalidating the warranty, PC components can have 10+ years warranty, and if i used my consoles as much as i have my PC, everyone of them would be a paper weight. Getting replacement parts isn't cheap either, and will only last aslong as the consoles still sell.

The issue is not specifically RTX, but how this new "thing" is way overpriced, and is the major selling point of these cards, despite how little RTX is even used, it is in it's infancy, i'm not going to say it can't be good, but it all depends on whether the devs use it or not. At this point all you lot are doing is helping inflate the prices by buying in on this fad that i don't see taking off until atleast next year when the next generation of Nvidia cards come along and maybe some games are really taking advantage of it to make it really worthwhile.

Yay you folks have cash you can throw about, but please don't inflate the prices on crap that is way overpriced for what it is and for what little use you'll probably get out of it.

If you have that much spare cash, why not go on holiday? and save the rest of us gamers from the prices you lot help to inflate.

Soldato
How long do consoles last? i havn't bought a PS4 but prior to that they all suffered from overheating at somepoint because the cooling is barely adequate

Bar the 360 with the RROD, all other consoles are fine O_o my original PS one and two still work when I tried them earlier this summer :D

Soldato
How long do consoles last? i havn't bought a PS4 but prior to that they all suffered from overheating at somepoint because the cooling is barely adequate, you cannot properly clean them yourselves without invalidating the warranty, PC components can have 10+ years warranty, and if i used my consoles as much as i have my PC, everyone of them would be a paper weight. Getting replacement parts isn't cheap either, and will only last aslong as the consoles still sell.

The issue is not specifically RTX, but how this new "thing" is way overpriced, and is the major selling point of these cards, despite how little RTX is even used, it is in it's infancy, i'm not going to say it can't be good, but it all depends on whether the devs use it or not. At this point all you lot are doing is helping inflate the prices by buying in on this fad that i don't see taking off until atleast next year when the next generation of Nvidia cards come along and maybe some games are really taking advantage of it to make it really worthwhile.

Yay you folks have cash you can throw about, but please don't inflate the prices on crap that is way overpriced for what it is and for what little use you'll probably get out of it.

If you have that much spare cash, why not go on holiday? and save the rest of us gamers from the prices you lot help to inflate.
I bought a 2080ti second hand for 750......

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
My next plan is to get a PS5 and then whinge and whine at anyone who buys PC parts, as they are getting "ripped off" etc and I will keep on and on and on, as that is fair game apparently :p
Sounds like a plan to me! :p

Lol :D

I am getting a 3070 at the very least to go with my PS5 though. Will need that at the very least for the new flight simulator plus that will play every game I own 60dps with ease. If Nvidia go with a small enough die to price the 3080 Ti like the 1080 Ti I will likely go for that.

I would be surprised if you did not go for a 3080 Ti even if they priced it at £1500+ ;)

Caporegime
Sounds like a plan to me! :p

Lol :D

I am getting a 3070 at the very least to go with my PS5 though. Will need that at the very least for the new flight simulator plus that will play every game I own 60dps with ease. If Nvidia go with a small enough die to price the 3080 Ti like the 1080 Ti I will likely go for that.

I would be surprised if you did not go for a 3080 Ti even if they priced it at £1500+ ;)

I played Control to death and loved it but then not played anything else or had the motivation to either. Hopefully, Cyberpunk will get me interested again but I am really losing my passion for gaming and finding I am watching Netflix in place of.

I had a holiday in the Canaries on a cruise in May and I am going on another Cruise in October. Not sure if there is anything else you would recommend buying/spending to save gamers from inflating prices?

Too me, you should get a job that pays better and that way, you can afford to buy overpriced crap. Your post was very bitter and a little childish really. I am 48 years old and have been a gamer since the Spectrum 48K days. I have been a big proponent of Raytracing all the way back to the Amiga days, where a fully Raytraced shadow as an example would take around 30 seconds to render and would have so much noise, it really was bad. But don't let those of us who actually enjoy seeing innovation stop your train of thought!

Soldato
I played Control to death and loved it but then not played anything else or had the motivation to either. Hopefully, Cyberpunk will get me interested again but I am really losing my passion for gaming and finding I am watching Netflix in place of.

I had a holiday in the Canaries on a cruise in May and I am going on another Cruise in October. Not sure if there is anything else you would recommend buying/spending to save gamers from inflating prices?

Too me, you should get a job that pays better and that way, you can afford to buy overpriced crap. Your post was very bitter and a little childish really. I am 48 years old and have been a gamer since the Spectrum 48K days. I have been a big proponent of Raytracing all the way back to the Amiga days, where a fully Raytraced shadow as an example would take around 30 seconds to render and would have so much noise, it really was bad. But don't let those of us who actually enjoy seeing innovation stop your train of thought!
Deluxe paint ftw my friend

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Yea, this year game releases have been very poor for me. That is why I got rid of my Titan XP and been happy to skip the 2000 series.

2020 will bring many great releases for me. Just hoping Nvidia release the 3000 series no later than Q2!

Associate

Congrats, but even if i was a millionaire it's still overpriced, if RTX takes off next year you will probably need to upgrade again to get the most out of RTX. Bitter? nah disappointed? yes, Gamers have been getting leeched for years, and people keep jumping to the next upgrade despite it being utterly pointless just because they have the cash, which then up's the prices as Nvidia, Intel know damn well people are stupid enough to pay it. But it's the same for ingame DLC/Cosmetics, that really does annoy me.. buy a game for 39.99/49.99 then have mutliple DLC's of more than likely stripped content, but doing it in such a way you pay 10-20% of the games purchase price for.. what? less than 5% of ingame content?

I think everyone is guilty of purchasing it at somepoint (me, i know i've bought some ****** DLC/upgrades in the past), but you can't deny it's an absolute rip off if you think about it, but these days it's just taken to excess.. still people sing the same mantra "supporting the devs" you mean those gold lined pockets you keep filling up for them?

I can't force people to stop buying that crap, but hopefully i can make them think a little before hand.

I'm still rocking a 1920x1200 from 2008 and despite me being able to afford to upgrade to a better Res monitor, the fact that i'd been upgrading graphics cards every year over 5+ years to get the performance i wanted out of it, it was never ever going to be a worthwhile upgrade.

It's the same with 4k now, it ain't worth it.

Soldato
Congrats, but even if i was a millionaire it's still overpriced,

If you were a millionaire you wouldn't think it's overpriced because you'd do simple valuations of what your time's worth. And in that case, as a millionaire, your time would be more valuable than spending it researching GPUs rather than outright buying the best. Let's say you're an experienced solicitor, you can easily charge £200/hr. Well, how many hours does it take to get up to speed on GPUs? Probably a lot more than it's worth, especially if you don't enjoy the tech and just want a tool for the job.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
If you were a millionaire you wouldn't think it's overpriced because you'd do simple valuations of what your time's worth. And in that case, as a millionaire, your time would be more valuable than spending it researching GPUs rather than outright buying the best. Let's say you're an experienced solicitor, you can easily charge £200/hr. Well, how many hours does it take to get up to speed on GPUs? Probably a lot more than it's worth, especially if you don't enjoy the tech and just want a tool for the job.

Huh? Surely you don't measure an items worth like that?!? I know I certainly don't, especially GPU's

It was pretty simple to me;

For the 20 series it pretty much went how much faster than its predecessor e.g. 1080ti to 2080ti? answer = average 30%

is the price close it's predecessor? = nowhere near, its about £300 or more than its predecessor

is 30% worth £300 more? = No

If it had been the same price (around £700) and 30% faster i could have just about accepted it.

Man of Honour
Huh? Surely you don't measure an items worth like that?!? I know I certainly don't, especially GPU's

It is going to be somewhat subjective how someone considers an item's worth anyhow - for me it isn't about my use of time and/or whether I'd miss the money or not but whether I'm being taken for a mug or not.

Associate

Buying the best doesn't mean paying the highest price. And just because you buy the best PC doesn't mean it'll work any better than your previous setup, as there a various problems a gamer may have to work around and that all requires research, and using those brains in that skull of yours. Any gamer worth his salt knows this, otherwise you are pretty much a casual.. and then the only reason to buy that kind of gear is for pretty graphics rather than the performance factor, and yeah that isn't worth it either.

I've done PC repairs on the side, and i've known people to spend well over the odds for "top end" gear to find they have various problems, me having to go there and sort it, they could have paid half as much and given the rest to me if money isn't a factor.

But yeah that never happens, does it?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
It is going to be somewhat subjective how someone considers an item's worth anyhow - for me it isn't about my use of time and/or whether I'd miss the money or not but whether I'm being taken for a mug or not.

Oh totally, I was just took back by that interpretation of worth. I don't think I've ever thought "oh this item is worth X hours work" to judge it's worth to me :p , nor have I ever seen it from friends or family, I just find it a very strange way of valuing things

Soldato
All this talk about expensive hardware and worth. I'd hate to be somebody who cant have fun without an expensive PC. I only game at 1080p yet I'm able to have such amzing fun. The fun factor is almost mind blowing in some games. A lot of people in these forums have a much faster PC and play at a much higher resolution like 1440p or 4k yet so many posts are to moan or complain about something. The old saying of money cant buy hapiness is so true. People must think that having a better GPU will make them a happier person. I'm so happy and content with my setup and have absolutely no reason to upgrade for ages.

Soldato
Oh totally, I was just took back by that interpretation of worth. I don't think I've ever thought "oh this item is worth X hours work" to judge it's worth to me :p , nor have I ever seen it from friends or family, I just find it a very strange way of valuing things
I would have a heart attack if i thought like that, I've upgraded my rig slowly over 2 years and now it's worth 3 months wages, if I'd thought.... Is its worth working for 3 months for nothing and getting this it never would have happened.

My happiness comes from the games and the knowledge I can fire up any game and run it on full settings without any worry and just enjoy the ride

And the fact I had hand me down parts for 10 years before I earned enough to get something sexy, many people spend 10s of thousands on hobbies like cars or bikes or golf, ours is relatively tame even if you buy a 2080ti kingpin

Soldato

It was pretty simple to me;

For the 20 series it pretty much went how much faster than its predecessor e.g. 1080ti to 2080ti? answer = average 30%

is the price close it's predecessor? = nowhere near, its about £300 or more than its predecessor

is 30% worth £300 more? = No

If it had been the same price (around £700) and 30% faster i could have just about accepted it.

But he is 100% correct.
That is how everyone should measure their time. Figure out how much your time is worth - I.e how much money would I be making right now if I was at work and then evaluate if things are worth it to you. Of course there is no strict rules for it - if you feel like your personal time is worth more than any money you’d make from working then so be it. Someone who happens to be a millionaire probably doesn’t have much free time anyway and so if needed a gpu they’d just buy the best they could afford or may use someone else’s time that is worth less to do research for them.

There are lots of celebs and sports players who are of gamers we should find out what hardware is in their rigs

Man of Honour
Someone who happens to be a millionaire probably doesn’t have much free time anyway

Depends could be inherited money, could be they they have a particular skill that gets called on time to time at very lucrative rates but only takes a few hours a week, etc. others like one of the guys I went to school with worked his way up to owning a chain of businesses and practically eats and sleeps still running it.

Back
Top Bottom