Section 21 letter

Permabanned
Thank you for the reply.
Yes our deposit is protected in a scheme. Plan to make a recording of the whole house :) Some of the items have been replaced because they broke over time - they were really old, were there when we moved in(Dining table, fridge, washing machine, sofa) and we bought new ones with our money after we agreed with the LL in writing.

Should be fine, but as long as you have those things in writing then that will all be fine... although that assumes you are leaving them behind... otherwise more negotiation may be required if that's not already clarified in writing.

Don't actually know the process of this "checklist" - as in we move out and they check it after another day and we have to be there when they do as you say?

It's only my recommendation to be there when they do the checkout to query any issues they may have in person at the time.

It's from my experience of renting a lot of different places... the last 10 years for me have been moving every 1-2 years due to work and going through the various rental processes. If there's a dispute, it's always best to talk it through in person at the time of check out. Makes the whole process a lot easier, usually.

If you can't be there, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle... sounds like you've been a good tenant... I've just had the bad luck of dealing with bad landlords, which meant I had to learn fast how to deal with them.

Well we could always pay the full month and do the move slowly if they ask for the full amount :)

Yes, of course... if you pay the full month, then you should let them know they cannot enter the property until the expiry of your lease. You can use this as a negotiation point if they are so desperate to sell... then that will help you.

Hopefully they work with you... but on the basics of the contractual agreement in place and it being month to month... if they want the money for that extra month, even though it's only 4 days to you, technically they are not required to negotiate with you on that... although any reasonable person, especially after 10 years of good tenancy, it would be decent of them to work with you.

But also I've found it really good to have at least 1-2 weeks of overlap between the start of new and finish of old as it makes the whole moving thing less stressful... but that's more of a personal preference thing. Other than financially, it might do you a favour having that time, especially as it's been 10+ years since you last moved house... unless you're paying a removals company.

Soldato
Our landlord just let us pay for an extra week when our move date was pushed back so I'm sure you can come to an agreement.

I wouldn't worry about the check out inventory too much, wear and tear is expected and reductions in your deposit will need to justifiable with the deposit holder.

Best thing is to give it a really thorough clean and then take loads of pictures for your own records. I always tend to take pictures of final utility readings as well.

Agree about giving yourself some overlap time, even an extra day with a empty house gives you a chance to check things over.

Soldato
OP
Thank you, all valid points.
Our completion date for the new place is actually tomorrow! But the current owner is moving out this weekend and we are getting the keys on this Saturday/Sunday. We plan to move things after our work using our car during the week days and have put next Friday off to use a removal van to do the big stuff like TV, sofa, fridge ect. So we potentially have about 2 days to iron things out with the current place and was planing to schedule the keys handover.
Already cleaned the place once, washed all the windows inside and out, washed the curtains, carpets ect what was specified in the contract we had.
Informed the LL of our intention to move out today as they wanted us out asap. Lets see what they come up with.
I was not sure if we need to get the Estate agent involved again for this - but since we didn't sign a contract renewal not sure if should inform the EA

Back
Top Bottom