**** The official Huawei P30 / P30 Pro thread ****

Soldato
Lol, I'll go against the grain and say none of the above is a deal breaker for me so I'm still interested. I've had a 120Hz Sharp a while back and never missed it when I went back to a Pixel, currently running a OP7Pro as my daily device and again won't miss the 90hz . GApps missing will definitely alientate mass consumers but it's not an issue personally, install them yourself. The circular camera surround reminds me of the 1020 to a degree and I don't mind the screen resolution or the waterfall design, it seems to round off at a greater degree than previous curved screens such as the Galaxy edges or OP7Pro for instance so hopefully no awkward navigations.

Yes, I did frown at the prices but that seems to be the current market trend, Pixel 4 XL will have that 'shaft the UK' tax too I imagine. This will depreciate a lot faster though that's for sure.

This, the Vivo Nex3 or FXtec Pro 1 will probably be my next device. I'm seeking counselling. :rolleyes:

Think again about google apps

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/...mate-30-series-won-t-work-with-the-play-store

Soldato
Lol, I'll go against the grain and say none of the above is a deal breaker for me so I'm still interested. I've had a 120Hz Sharp a while back and never missed it when I went back to a Pixel, currently running a OP7Pro as my daily device and again won't miss the 90hz . GApps missing will definitely alientate mass consumers but it's not an issue personally, install them yourself. The circular camera surround reminds me of the 1020 to a degree and I don't mind the screen resolution or the waterfall design, it seems to round off at a greater degree than previous curved screens such as the Galaxy edges or OP7Pro for instance so hopefully no awkward navigations.

Yes, I did frown at the prices but that seems to be the current market trend, Pixel 4 XL will have that 'shaft the UK' tax too I imagine. This will depreciate a lot faster though that's for sure.

This, the Vivo Nex3 or FXtec Pro 1 will probably be my next device. I'm seeking counselling. :rolleyes:
The OnePlus 7 Pro has a 90hz display, probably why you don’t miss it :p

Soldato
I can't imagine Google services being easy to install on this like some are assuming. Some permissions can't be granted unless they're part of the unwritable system rather than user data partitions.

Could be possible with root but what average Joe is going to want to faff about with that?

Soldato
I can't imagine Google services being easy to install on this like some are assuming. Some permissions can't be granted unless they're part of the unwritable system rather than user data partitions.

Could be possible with root but what average Joe is going to want to faff about with that?

Lots of contradictions at the moment:

A spokesman for the Chinese firm told the BBC that Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp would all be available via Huawei's own store, called the Huawei App Gallery.

He added that there would also be a way to "side-load" Google's apps onto the handsets and that phone store staff would advise customers how to do that, although they might not run as smoothly as normal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49754376

Only time will tell I guess

Man of Honour
Huawei have not allowed bootloader unlock for a year+ now so how do people expect to install Google services? Core Google apps will not work without the services, and the only way to install them is with root. Can't root without bootloader unlocking so there is no hope here.

I've read that whilst there's no GMS core to be able to install Google Play and services via a flashable zip (this doesn't need root), Huawei "may" have put in a way to sideload things to make this possible. I guess XDA will need to get one in hand to figure it all out... If there's no gms core though, there's no chance of getting any GApps suites installed. YOu can't install gms core without system level access.

Some google apps can be side-loaded but as above, they may not work as expected especially if they rely on elements of google services backend/gms core.

Play Store also affords another element of security via the Play Protect system. Nobody knows how secure Huawei App Gallery is or even if it is as robust as Play Store or how long it will be around. Also nobody who has been using Android for a number of years will want this either because they will have to buy all the apps again assuming that the same apps are available on the new store.

All of the camera features will be available on other Android flagships coming soon. I see no reason whatsoever to get a Mate 30 Pro for the money they are asking and the risk you take on the Play Services issue. The fast charging features are a bonus, but not the overall USP. Samsung will have graphene batteries with the S12, something like that is the kind of leap worth its money.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd be very surprised if Huawei haven't made allowances ( own store aside ) to allow a way to install the Gapps et al. No so much for their domestic market but for overseas. Interesting stuff and we'll find out soon hopefully.

Also of the current phones out or coming out which ones have a unique selling point? , 4K Xperia 1, Galaxy Fold, LGG5, don't appeal to the masses really do they.
Higher refresh rates, wide angles cams, 64MP sensor are or will be quite generic and will probably be the staple for the majority of devices out there, off the shelf parts ordered from the lord of foxconn and Samsung etc. So the Mate and it's 40MP cam setup may well will be unique. Looking forward to comprehensive review from a respected site/vlogger.

Soldato

It's a piece of cake

Soldato
P30 Pro can be had unlocked for £510 from Three with a PAYG Sim, device itself unlocked and no 3 branding.

Gotta go through the hotukdeals link, seems exclusive for them.

Soldato
The other half wants one of these - did you go for the 8GB or 6GB model? I use iPhones so I have no idea how much of a memory hog Android is... What would you recommend for an average user? I was going to suggest she goes for the 128GB version and upgrade the drive later if she needs more space, but didn't realise the RAM was also variable.

Back
Top Bottom