• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

really getting fed up with the posts stating RTX/DLSS does not work this gen

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah. It's all relative. Everyone thinks differently and are in different stages or their lives etc. I don't begrudge anyone who has fun buying expensive gpu's. Don't recall ever giving Kaapstad a hard time about it and he is by far the biggest spender here.

However I may have an opinion on a gpu where I say something negative like it is over priced etc. But that is my opinion, others have theirs. My opinion may also be that we are driving up prices by buying them at high prices. No one can argue with that. Does not mean I have an issue with Kaapstad though.

Depends could be inherited money, could be they they have a particular skill that gets called on time to time at very lucrative rates but only takes a few hours a week, etc. others like one of the guys I went to school with worked his way up to owning a chain of businesses and practically eats and sleeps still running it.
Exactly. I really don't think everyone thinks the same at all. Many things we do in our lives is not the optimum thing, but we do it anyway. Brexit comes to mind :p

Last edited:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
But he is 100% correct.
That is how everyone should measure their time. Figure out how much your time is worth - I.e how much money would I be making right now if I was at work and then evaluate if things are worth it to you. Of course there is no strict rules for it - if you feel like your personal time is worth more than any money you’d make from working then so be it. Someone who happens to be a millionaire probably doesn’t have much free time anyway and so if needed a gpu they’d just buy the best they could afford or may use someone else’s time that is worth less to do research for them.

There are lots of celebs and sports players who are of gamers we should find out what hardware is in their rigs

Well I'm afraid I don't judge value and worth by how much my time is worth, never have and never will. To me my time outside of work is far more valuable than my time in work.

Soldato
But he is 100% correct.
That is how everyone should measure their time. Figure out how much your time is worth - I.e how much money would I be making right now if I was at work and then evaluate if things are worth it to you. Of course there is no strict rules for it - if you feel like your personal time is worth more than any money you’d make from working then so be it. Someone who happens to be a millionaire probably doesn’t have much free time anyway and so if needed a gpu they’d just buy the best they could afford or may use someone else’s time that is worth less to do research for them.

There are lots of celebs and sports players who are of gamers we should find out what hardware is in their rigs
Terry crews

Associate
RANTX ON! According to a Youtube video I just watched the best way to experience Control is with RTX ON 1280x768 on a SONY CRT monitor from 1999.. each to their own I guess.

I'm an RTX fan, and already a fan of cooler running nVidia cards and drivers so mostly likely get a 2070 Super et al for RTX ON/OFF testing. Or maybe not if I also want 4K..

Soldato
Well I'm afraid I don't judge value and worth by how much my time is worth, never have and never will. To me my time outside of work is far more valuable than my time in work.

But most people's money was earnt by time spent at work. If a 2080 Ti costs a weeks wages, there's a higher chance you would buy it than if it was a months wages. Every purchasing decision we make is partly based on price, which was derived from time spent earning that money.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
But most people's money was earnt by time spent at work. If a 2080 Ti costs a weeks wages, there's a higher chance you would buy it than if it was a months wages. Every purchasing decision we make is partly based on price, which was derived from time spent earning that money.

I'm not saying purchase decision isn't at least partly based on price, that's not what I've been saying at all. But I've genuinely never looked at a potential purchase and thought "well that's a weeks/months/6 months worth of wages"

I just put some savings away and when I feel the need to upgrade, i'll look at whatever products are available, and decide their worth to me based on my earlier post #553 i.e. based on their predecessors price and the new parts performance uplift and what the cost difference between them, never does "on thats a months wages" etc even cross my mind.

Soldato
I'm not saying purchase decision isn't at least partly based on price, that's not what I've been saying at all. But I've genuinely never looked at a potential purchase and thought "well that's a weeks/months/6 months worth of wages"

I just put some savings away and when I feel the need to upgrade, i'll look at whatever products are available, and decide their worth to me based on my earlier post #553 i.e. based on their predecessors price and the new parts performance uplift and what the cost difference between them, never does "on thats a months wages" etc even cross my mind.
Sometimes I feel my posts are invisible, I literally said this, and I agree, I don't equal money to my time at work.
Don't buy a chocolate bar and think hmmm that cost me 5 minutes at work either

Soldato
Sometimes I feel my posts are invisible, I literally said this, and I agree, I don't equal money to my time at work.

I did even from my first job, where at lunch I'd buy a big mac burger and at that time it cost 1 hour of what I was paid.

Most countries have a chronic problem where people don't understand the basics of budgeting and financial planning so it's not too surprising that so many don't consider the true value of their money.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I did even from my first job, where at lunch I'd buy a big mac burger and at that time it cost 1 hour of what I was paid.

Most countries have a chronic problem where people don't understand the basics of budgeting and financial planning so it's not too surprising that so many don't consider the true value of their money.
You can still budget and financial plan without thinking if I go out and eat instead of having baked beans at home I would have worked x amount of hour today for nothing. Lol.

Another way to do it is have a budget as disposable income. Then when that builds up you make the decision of what to spend it on. Then it becomes an opportunity cost. Do I spend it on a holiday? Do I spend it on some other experience? Do I get a Titan RTX? Can I live with getting a 2070$ and use the rest on something else? The goal could become to spend the disposable income in a way that offers maximum satisfaction and value for money. Less depressing than thinking how many hours you worked before spending each time :)

Soldato
I don't equate it to my hours worth judged by whatever company. We are all worth more than we get an hour.
I buy what I can afford and that's that. Can't enjoy it when I'm dead. Although if I'm dead for a year that's a whole years wages I could have earned...... Damnn it

ljt

ljt

Soldato

lol no, I did see your post, i was replying to Curious/Grim though

I understand the basics of budgeting and financial planning perfectly fine thanks :p and I manage to do it without thinking about how every purchase translates into how long I need to work to pay for it.

I also understand the value of money very clearly, I was bought up as a child in a single parent family, long before the myriad of welfare options were available like they are today, so money was very very tight. I've worked in some degree from the age of 15 to help support the household income. It taught me to be wise with money and has helped me stay virtually debt free (excluding a mortgage that is).

So in context to this thread, when I see a product that has stayed relatively stable in price the last few years, suddenly rise by $/£300 and offer very little extra for that increase in cost, then I call it out as bad value and not purchase it, even if I have the funds available to pay for it.

Caporegime
Another way to do it is have a budget as disposable income. Then when that builds up you make the decision of what to spend it on.
At last, someone understands how to do it. I quoted this part to hopefully make it stick out!

I work hard and do overtime at work, which any overtime I do, goes into a seperate account, which is my fun fund. I might choose to buy PC parts, golf clubs, mini breaks (I do a lot of those to Holland) or treat my kids. Whatever anyone does with their disposable income is their choice and who gives a toss if it pays for expensive PC parts?

Soldato
At last, someone understands how to do it. I quoted this part to hopefully make it stick out!

I work hard and do overtime at work, which any overtime I do, goes into a seperate account, which is my fun fund. I might choose to buy PC parts, golf clubs, mini breaks (I do a lot of those to Holland) or treat my kids. Whatever anyone does with their disposable income is their choice and who gives a toss if it pays for expensive PC parts?
Here here!
Gregster for prime president minister!

Associate
OP
live is very short people - if you have sufficient disposable income and you feel that the price of an item is justified then you should feel no guilt in buying it. I have reached a point in my life (47) where i have a good job and i am lucky in that i have a decent disposable income left over once my bills are paid. Now i could go and spend that going to the pub every weekend but i feel thats a waste of money. Others however may take that option and thats up to them - who am i to judge.

most of us buy stuff that we dont really need. I dont necessarily need a car to get to work as i could take the bus. But wheres the fun in that. I could buy a cheap economical diesel car to get to work but again where is the fun in that. I bought a fast premium German car which was expensive (bought second hand though) but that car offers me so much fun on my commute to work that it was worth the additional expense over a cheaper more sensible vehicle. therefore the additional price on that car was worth it to me. Others would say that my choice was daft as i am paying higher repair costs, higher fuel costs than if i got a more economical vehicle. to me though its worth the expense.

Permabanned
I don't consider the RTX cards overpriced as you are paying for a lot of extra silicon. I do however consider them to be a poor choice as that extra silicon does such a bad job. I can't be alone in looking at it this way?

Soldato
I don't consider the RTX cards overpriced as you are paying for a lot of extra silicon. I do however consider them to be a poor choice as that extra silicon does such a bad job. I can't be alone in looking at it this way?

What about previous generation cards compared to their predecessors, I don't think "a lot of extra silicon" justifies a price jump of double in some cases.

Soldato
live is very short people - if you have sufficient disposable income and you feel that the price of an item is justified then you should feel no guilt in buying it.

This is true, I myself have CC's 5k+, I save little, but I can pay my bills (as long as I don't increase credit anymore - the Will is strong in this one), I dip into savings for daily expenses sometimes now, it pains me, but I'm trying to stop letting it bother me, life's too short to worry about money, as long as can ensure can maintain bills and indulge a little that's the important thing.

**oops double post instead of merging

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

:)

Back
Top Bottom