• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
See this kind of thing scares me off upgrading to the 3950x, stability is super important to me
@Things change I've changed

You have to read some of the comment section and not the headlines which Jay already changed.....

Hardware Unboxed :1 hour ago (edited) If that's the Godlike motherboard you got in the review kit, get a retail board Jay. The review version was pre-production and does have issues which have been fixed with the retail version, it you have the little blue diagnostic pins on the rear side of the board it's pre-production.

Also AMD's come out and clearly stated that the working voltage for Zen 2 is 0.2v - 1.5v, so up to 1.5v is perfectly fine. I'm not sure why everyone assumes the voltage parameters for a new process node that we've never used before.

Soldato
He manually set the force all core voltage to 1.35v and is the reason of all his issues, thats why the CPU should be left alone or even put a offset -0.05v/0.10v if you want 50/100mhz less.
That alone is the reason he is getting pelted with rotten tomatoes today.

Also he has changed the video title after a lot of criticism for his issues and mistakes blame them on AMD :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I'll decide what the voltages 'should' be, then moan why his doesn't work. If you had a stable system with a BIUOS with probabaly particular RAm timings then dont reapply the profile - then the RAM will probably take a few goes to retrain itself and require a few cycles to change parameters, as sopme parameters have to change before others. Hence boot cycles.

I've never seen a BIOS report so nice as that with scrolling text before. That is FLASH

Soldato
Oh yeah, I'll decide what the voltages 'should' be, then moan why his doesn't work. If you had a stable system with a BIUOS with probabaly particular RAm timings then dont reapply the profile - then the RAM will probably take a few goes to retrain itself and require a few cycles to change parameters, as sopme parameters have to change before others. Hence boot cycles.

I've never seen a BIOS report so nice as that with scrolling text before. That is FLASH

My 570X Taichi doesn't like loading old profiles on new bios update. But neither my Asus Z370I Strix or the Asrock Z170 Formula OC or the MSI X79 GD or the Gigabyte X99 Gaming.
This guy should be sued for defamation tbh. And of all the high profile youtubers has proven time and again is the least tech knowledgeable.
And he shows that when he completely dismisses the AMD engineers long announcement of how the Zen 2 voltage work, applying 5 year old Intel voltage knowledge.

Soldato
My 570X Taichi doesn't like loading old profiles on new bios update. But neither my Asus Z370I Strix or the Asrock Z170 Formula OC or the MSI X79 GD or the Gigabyte X99 Gaming.
This guy should be sued for defamation tbh. And of all the high profile youtubers has proven time and again is the least tech knowledgeable.
And he shows that when he completely dismisses the AMD engineers long announcement of how the Zen 2 voltage work, applying 5 year old Intel voltage knowledge.

Oh! What happens when you load an old profile?

Agree about Jay2C - Bet he wont be getting any gear from MSI any more.

Soldato
I've just returned from work after 3 weeks. PC was working fine before I left. It's taken 2 clear CMOS attempts to get it to boot, and I'm currently swapping a mechanical HDD for a 1TB SSD and copying some data over - I think I'm on clear CMOS #7 of the morning ... and counting.

It's a horrendous, painful experience just trying to do the simplest of things. After my 2700x and now this, I just can't see me wasting any more money on an AMD system in the future.

Associate
New cpus incoming
Ryzen 5 3500X
Ryzen 5 3500
Both 6 Core no SMT, 4.1 boost 3.6 base

Difference is 3500X has 32MB L3 cache as expected, while 3500 is 16MB L3. Could it be a Zen+ chip relabeled?

Soldato
Oh! What happens when you load an old profile?

Agree about Jay2C - Bet he wont be getting any gear from MSI any more.

The system is unstable. It could boot now, but not 2 days later on the case of X570 Taichi and X99 Gaming. The rest couldn't boot at all.
Setting up everything from fresh is better and doesn't have issues.
Thats why I have the memory timing settings on my mobile phone :D takes extra 3 minutes to set them so be it

Soldato
I've just returned from work after 3 weeks. PC was working fine before I left. It's taken 2 clear CMOS attempts to get it to boot, and I'm currently swapping a mechanical HDD for a 1TB SSD and copying some data over - I think I'm on clear CMOS #7 of the morning ... and counting.

It's a horrendous, painful experience just trying to do the simplest of things. After my 2700x and now this, I just can't see me wasting any more money on an AMD system in the future.

Have you considered might be the board? Have you used the latest bios?

Permabanned
"Its one of the reasons why my personal builds and stuff always end up being on Intel is because of overall stability I would take overall stability over maximum core count or value or any of that stuff any day"

Jay

Glad someone high profile on YouTube is actually talking about this finally, this is the main reason why I still chose to build an Intel rig when everyone on here was ramming AMD down my throat, I will always choose stability over performance, I look over these AMD threads and they are just full of people waiting for BIOS updates, not happy with temps, voltages etc, I just can't be doing that, I just want to whack my parts together, boot it up and forget about it.

This type of comments are all over the place, not just "high profiles" in the video-sharing websites.

It looks like AMD chose very bad timing to start their milking-cows procedures :D

Soldato
Why do you think that he speaks only for the particular case?
He is describing the overall picture through the years.

Everything technology based when new has issues. Tesla's, Nvidia Gfx cards, intel CPU vulnerabilities, Boeing 737 800 MAX's, Any PC game on release, iphones...anything. His particular case is flawed and therefore no credibility can be given for the sweeping statements he is making. I think he's jealous that RYan Shrout has a job at intel. When you are called out by your peers from other channels and tech sites, you know you got it wrong.

Permabanned
Everything technology based when new has issues.

But I doubt that users are happy to be beta-testers. Especially when every year, AMD launches "new technologies" in one way or another. Except maybe last year when it was a simple Zen refresh.
Next year with Zen 3, it will be the same.

But I didn't read his statement as such. I read it from the view that AMD's production practices, especially the binning, as we all know, are not as good as intel's high quality binning process.

Or that AMD is a small company that is unknown for many IT managers.

Permabanned
But I doubt that users are happy to be beta-testers. Especially when every year, AMD launches "new technologies" in one way or another. Except maybe last year when it was a simple Zen refresh.
Next year with Zen 3, it will be the same.

But I didn't read his statement as such. I read it from the view that AMD's production practices, especially the binning, as we all know, are not as good as intel's high quality binning process.

Or that AMD is a small company that is unknown for many IT managers.
Yawn!

Seriously I tire of the AMD fanboyism on here, it's like AMD can do no wrong, there are no bios issues, no heat issues, no voltage issues, no boosting issues, no memory issues, AMD is perfect, absolutely ******* perfect, yet even in this very thread only a page back we have AMD owners having issues and questioning whether to stick with AMD in the future, how can people deny that there hasn't been issues with this Ryzen launch is beyond me, read through the comments of Jays YouTube video, there are plenty of AMD owners saying that they have had issues with their build, I'm not trying to poo poo AMD, they have a good chip, but as a launch overall it has not been plain sailing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom