LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
I swear monitors are going backwards, yet getting more expensive at the same time. It would be funny if it wasn't so goddamn infuriating!! :mad:

Ok Folks true to my word here are my thoughts on the Predator X35

Received my Predator X35 yesterday the box is big, much bigger than my previous PG348Q once I got the monitor out of the box there was plenty of wrapping around the monitor and stand so ripped all that off, once all that was taken off I noticed the inside polystyrene protection wall inside the box was all broken cracked so the box received a knock and I thought god hope the monitor is ok Anyway sat the monitor on the kitchen table to give it a good look for damage the X35 is significantly heavier and the surround or edge is a lot fatter it is a thing of beauty to look at all right, will end up getting a vesa mount to push it back further as the X35 stand is a bit big but no wonder the monitor is a heavy beast the heaviest monitor I have owned to date the PG348Q weighed 16.9 LB the Acer weighs 22.6 LB all without their respective stands so a heavy monitor for me at least..

So the dreaded fan noise ramping up and down well I am sat currently 2 foot from the screen and I can hear zippo fan noise in fact the fans have not even turned on well actually they are on now I am on desktop mode so have the monitor set at 144Mhz as my preference I have turned on HDR in windows for games and apps to on I then used pixel buddy went for a totally black screen and there is none of that dreaded halo effect when moving the cursor on windows desktop.

I have not played any games yet as such just watching you tube videos doing desktop chores and there is zippo fan noise if I place my ear to the back of the monitor where the air vents are yes you can her a very low audible whirring but it is so faint in my room which is totally silent I cannot hear the fan at all my pc case fans are louder but I turned them off to deliberately hear the fans on thsi monitor as it so much hate and i can hear zero noise.

Oh, suppose the haters will eventually make an appearance, life is cruel ROFL. Anyway if there is anything you would like me to try out please throw your suggestion my way I’m all ears and I am pleased I saved myself £489 over buying the Asus there is a new review on YouTube between the Asus and the Acer the reviewer stated the Asus was better calibrated but then the Acer was blistering bright so swings are roundabouts.

Anyway, the Acer won my vote primarily on cost as the Asus is priced too aggressively a money grab so I’m stoked I purchased the Acer if I am telling the truth and so far, I’m loving it.

Now I’m not tech savvy but I love things all techy so if you would like me to use different parameters to make this monitor hiccup please send me your suggestions and I’ll try them out.

Out of the box the screen looks fantastic checked for dead pixels using pixel buddy throws up different colours to highlight any dead pixels and can report there are none though I’ll perform this task a couple of more times during the next 4 days. I will do more testing and will report back with my findings but so far totally happy with the Acer so Nvidia must have fixed something with their drivers my current driver is 436.60, other than that I have been lucky in buying a perfect monitor with no faults maybe very lucky who knows but I am not experiencing what all the bad reviewers are stating happened with their monitor.

Mr Big

Associate
Amazon and Newegg have all pulled them from sale. Microcenter may be willing to continue walk-in sales due to high inventory and that it hardly costs anything when someone returns a product in person. Good luck buying a monitor with a massive known issue. Until NVIDIA comes out with a firmware fix, these monitors are DOA.

I suppose you are correct that there are faulty units floating around. I received mine and it is 100% No flickering no scan lines and no dreaded fan ramping noises it is quite silent and when I say silent you cannot her the fans on the monitor so all in all I must be a very lucky predator X35 purchaser. I appreciate your input but sometimes you just have to try things for yourself as that is the only way to know for sure I’ll be keeping this monitor for a long time but before i do that I will have to test it a bit more before I can say with confidence it is perfect in every regard. So far so good though HDR is amazing the likes of which I did not expect to see it with your own eyes is like something from a different planet.

Associate
Odd. The Acer X35 and ASUS PG35VQ have been pulled from sale in the US due to the flickering issue.
The predator X35 is available from numerous resellers both here and all across the world. The shop where I purchased my monitor have sold quite a few, and you would imagine if these monitors where that bad then the shop where I purchased mine would have had returns by now as they sold their first one over 2 months ago, no X35'S have been returned thus far. I also contacted Amazon and they have had no returns either. Negativity draws negativity people like to moan and maybe some people are moaning just because they can and love to spread unfounded rumours I’m not saying all the issues are fake I dare say some are true but it is not as extensive as it is being made out to be the fan on my monitor someone here stated I’ll be returning it as the fan is crazy loud well that is an untruth as the fan on my monitor you can’t even hear it even in a quiet room it is inaudible. If you place your ear to the back of the monitor you can hear a slight whirring so low in volume it is very difficult to hear not what I was led to believe in fact the opposite. I’m not an acer Fan boy either I’m not defending Acer and the X35 I am telling you what I have experienced with my recent purchase. I'm very happy I purchased the Acer X35 and no one should be put off buying one. the X35 is a serious piece of kit top of the range for many years to come. I'll let you knoiw my findings after extensive testing next week wednesday i'll let ay all know if I was able to find any flickering or scan lines.

Mr Big

Associate
Hmm, if it's only a small problem why did NVIDIA say they are aware of the issue and are "looking into it"?

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/acer-x35/

As noted in the video we’ve been in communication with Acer regarding the obvious flickering and heavy interlace pattern artifact issue. They’ve told us that Nvidia are aware of the issue and will fix it in their next driver release (after 431.60, which we used in the review). Newer drivers will include optimisations for the 35” G-SYNC Ultimate models. Newer drivers are now available, including the so-called “Gamescom driver”, but the issue persists. We’re still probing for a solution to this and hope to see it addressed in a future driver update. It affects all models which share the same PCB as this one, including the ASUS PG35VQ. We won’t be able to test future drivers ourselves as we no longer have access to the monitor, but we’ll provide an update when we have more information.

Associate
Hmm, if it's only a small problem why did NVIDIA say they are aware of the issue and are "looking into it"?

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/acer-x35/

As noted in the video we’ve been in communication with Acer regarding the obvious flickering and heavy interlace pattern artifact issue. They’ve told us that Nvidia are aware of the issue and will fix it in their next driver release (after 431.60, which we used in the review). Newer drivers will include optimisations for the 35” G-SYNC Ultimate models. Newer drivers are now available, including the so-called “Gamescom driver”, but the issue persists. We’re still probing for a solution to this and hope to see it addressed in a future driver update. It affects all models which share the same PCB as this one, including the ASUS PG35VQ. We won’t be able to test future drivers ourselves as we no longer have access to the monitor, but we’ll provide an update when we have more information.

I couldn’t agree with your more but my X35 is fault free suppose the monitors that are showing faults Nvidia. They have to fix them or Acer will have a ton of returns on their hands suppose Acer is breathing down Nvidias neck at the minute to find a driver fix if they say what you are alluding to then there will be a total recall for the product, imagine Acer want to avoid that at any cost and any non-faulty monitors would be recalled also. Time will tell. I don’t know what to say really what can I say my monitor is fantastic and the proof of the pudding is in the eating doubt I will be changing this monitor but let me run more tests just to be sure and I’ll give my verdict this Wednesday Mainly to satisfy myself as I am hearing bad vibes about this monitor some of those bad vibes have been put to bed already like the noisy fan sounding like a hoover when in reality it is totally silent, go figure. The halo effect only happens in windows desktop if HDR is active so all you do is turn the HDR off while in windows desktop and the halo is gone I do not think that is a fault of the monitor but the Backlight: 512-zone local dimming QD LED when you are in a HDR game it is gone and the blacks are definitely black the blackest I have ever seen with no back bleed, you would have to see it with your own eyes to appreciate what I am saying here as no YouTube video will Convery what is actually shown on the X35 screen.

Lastly I do not want a faulty monitor either and spending over 2K on a monitor it better be perfect so to clear my conscience while I have a 26 day window to return for any reason I’m taking that opportunity now but so far everything is 100% I am a very fussy person too I won’t put up with anything that is not 100%.

Associate
I believe this monitor is some sort of "limited edition" since the new LG nano ips panels are very limited in production so that also explains the fact that this monitor is only exclusive to a small number of retailers. So at this point, if it isn't available for pre-order in one of your online stores then chances are the first batch is already fully booked and no new stores will be getting the monitor until LG have enough resources to produce more of these monitors for batch 2 and so on. Just my theory.

Associate
Well that is your opinion and not me I’m afraid with all that I have written on this forum I did say I would test it and I have and I have no problems with this monitor but if I was experiencing problems with my monitor. I would have it returned already. I am too busy at the minute as I just took delivery of my B&W 800 D3’S & a KR Audio Tube Preamplifier and a CH Precision A1 Power Amp.

I will definitely be keeping my X35 as I have experienced no faults whatsoever if I had of experienced any faults no matter how slight I would have it sent back already as how difficult would it be to pack said monitor up and ship it back to the reseller why spend hours chatting about a monitor that is faulty I really don’t see the sense to it was like a AG9 Sony tv I purchased I did not moan on any forum boards about the fact it would sometimes work and sometimes it would just not show a picture I returned it for a refund.

My X35 is a fantastic monitor so I must be a real lucky individual to receive the only working X35 monitor that Acer have produced.

Last edited:
Associate
Well, I seen other people who got a "perfect" one as well, there was a new review in Sweden 1-2 weeks ago, and they couldnt find any faults with the panel itself. So I guess some people have been getting lucky.

You can read the whole review here, if you understand swedish :p

https://www.sweclockers.com/test/28...35vq-spelskarmen-som-kostar-mer-an-den-smakar

Though the panel is suffering from a lot of black smearing (All VA panels are), which they mention in the review.
This is one of the main reasons I would never go for a VA-panel for high level of gaming.

Associate
The LG 38GL950G will never be released guys. This company only made the monitor for famous youtubers/streamers and they keep pushing it back 1 month at a time so it will never come to normal consumers. They should just call it a failed project at this point and admit their failure imo.

Associate
Well, I seen other people who got a "perfect" one as well, there was a new review in Sweden 1-2 weeks ago, and they couldnt find any faults with the panel itself. So I guess some people have been getting lucky.

You can read the whole review here, if you understand swedish :p

https://www.sweclockers.com/test/28...35vq-spelskarmen-som-kostar-mer-an-den-smakar

Though the panel is suffering from a lot of black smearing (All VA panels are), which they mention in the review.
This is one of the main reasons I would never go for a VA-panel for high level of gaming.

Well thank you for writing what you did as I thought I was going insane considering myself lucky to receive a perfect X35. Yes, I will read that forum and use the power of Google Chrome to translate the web page to English. Funnily enough I not notice any smearing in windows desktop or otherwise yes you do get a wee bit of smearing but it is so unnoticeable it is not even worth talking about. I would say buy one then make up your mind it is the only want to 100% sure is to see it with your own eyes.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom