Football Manager 2020

Soldato
OP
I would be far more interested in getting involved with sponsorship/financial aspects than the bloody social groups and aspects of the players for sure.
Totally agree. I couldn't give a toss about social groups but I want to clear my club's debt if I can and get more sponsorship deals/money to help me buy more players.

Caporegime
Pre ordered on Steam as per :).

Looking forward to seeing how dreadfully average Sheffield Wednesday are and how stressed I get trying to manage them.

Associate
I tried FM19 on Game Pass after last playing (for any serious amount of time) FM12 / and it was awful. So much bloat, it took me 2 hours to get through 4 in-game days. Hated it.

And given they have had the 3D engine for about 5+ years, how can it look so, so bad? The animations were atrocious.

And yet I still always think for a moment when each year's edition comes out, because I remember fondly the thousands of hours spent on previous versions.

I think between FM09 and 12 was probably a reasonable mix of meaningful depth and speed of play.

Now, though? Sheesh...

Associate
I tried FM19 on Game Pass after last playing (for any serious amount of time) FM12 / and it was awful. So much bloat, it took me 2 hours to get through 4 in-game days. Hated it.

And given they have had the 3D engine for about 5+ years, how can it look so, so bad? The animations were atrocious.

And yet I still always think for a moment when each year's edition comes out, because I remember fondly the thousands of hours spent on previous versions.

I think between FM09 and 12 was probably a reasonable mix of meaningful depth and speed of play.

Now, though? Sheesh...

Im an avid fm buyer and I no doubt will buy again this year. As you say a few years backs I was really expecting some developments with regards the 3d engine. I've completly given up on any improvements, Its even seems like it's gone backwards over the years and for it being 2019 it's really poor. Even the 2D engine of which I do watch for large parts offers very little in terms of different patterns or goals or play. It's literally the same kind of play, which for 2d in 2019 is awful.

I really do think that with it coming out each year there's not actually much work done with regards to these issues.

It's seemed to me that maybe the touch version now also gets a lot of attention, this maybe mean that these issues are not actually addressed that much. Ive also been waiting for some kind of improvements with regards to press conferences and interviews. Just general exciting different things that may happen in football, its all very boring and samey to me.

I think there really needs to be some competition in the market place, there always use to be a couple of other management games floating about each year, but now there's nothing. I don't think football manager has improved atall much of note over the last 5 years. It needs a bloody good shake up I think.

(Ive just googled older football manager games. I use to love LMA Manager on the PS1. Even EA gave the football manager genre a go).

Football Manager was a breath of fresh air when it first came out. I think is become really stale. I'd really love some competitors to produce something decent.

Last edited:
Associate
It's seemed to me that maybe the touch version now also gets a lot of attention, this maybe mean that these issues are not actually addressed that much. Ive also been waiting for some kind of improvements with regards to press conferences and interviews. Just general exciting different things that may happen in football, its all very boring and samey to me.

This reminds me of the horror of a press conference I decided to try (to see if it had moved on at all since about FM08 - spoiler, it hasn't) - it was 21 questions! And worse was that it never really felt like it mattered. And then there was all the social stuff - who the hell gives a crap about what some pretend person on a pretend twitter says? As I say, it's just all too much bloat - bloat that never really added much to core game.

Such a shame to see a once-great series just get old and stale - but as you say, without competition (and knowing it'll sell gangbusters anyway) what is going to make them actually start developing 'good' stuff again?

Associate
This reminds me of the horror of a press conference I decided to try (to see if it had moved on at all since about FM08 - spoiler, it hasn't) - it was 21 questions! And worse was that it never really felt like it mattered. And then there was all the social stuff - who the hell gives a crap about what some pretend person on a pretend twitter says? As I say, it's just all too much bloat - bloat that never really added much to core game.

Such a shame to see a once-great series just get old and stale - but as you say, without competition (and knowing it'll sell gangbusters anyway) what is going to make them actually start developing 'good' stuff again?

The press conference questions have been the same ones for about 7 years. Surely it can't be that difficult to add abit more variety. I've longed for abit more actual simulation in the game, something different that may pop up now and again. Your players have been spotted at a night club night before a game for example.

It's very mundane now. I've had a game going on last years with Genoa and I'm quite a few seasons In. It's the same press conferences, the same interactions and the same 2D Match engine that like I said in a previous post there are no new actual game patterns, gameplay or the way you score a goal, it's so boring.

I think the developers have probably spent so much time over the how many years developing Mobile/touch editions any real improvements in the base game have been affected.

I'm not sure why the lack of competition with regards to football management games. Years ago there was a lot more. I find this in many genres of gaming now, a lack of choice. Surpose it's the state of the worlds finances, where nobody wants to chance anything without a guarantee of getting a return.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

The press conferences are one of the few features of the FM series that I think has either stood still or gone backwards. Weirdly SI claim to have improved this part of the game each year but it feels so plain and boring and stale. Each press conference before each match is the same as the last one and the next one; same for the post-match conferences.

Soldato
Im an avid fm buyer and I no doubt will buy again this year. As you say a few years backs I was really expecting some developments with regards the 3d engine. I've completly given up on any improvements, Its even seems like it's gone backwards over the years and for it being 2019 it's really poor. Even the 2D engine of which I do watch for large parts offers very little in terms of different patterns or goals or play. It's literally the same kind of play, which for 2d in 2019 is awful.

I really do think that with it coming out each year there's not actually much work done with regards to these issues.

I think there really needs to be some competition in the market place, there always use to be a couple of other management games floating about each year, but now there's nothing. I don't think football manager has improved atall much of note over the last 5 years. It needs a bloody good shake up I think.

(Ive just googled older football manager games. I use to love LMA Manager on the PS1. Even EA gave the football manager genre a go).

Football Manager was a breath of fresh air when it first came out. I think is become really stale. I'd really love some competitors to produce something decent.

They pay for the license to include exclusivity so basically no one else can compete and don't let Miles Jacobsen tell you any different.

Associate
Well I'll go into this year with expections of some improvements to the 2D and 3D engine, press conferences and general simulation. No doubt as like every year Ill be dissapointed.

Associate
I tried that a while ago but the problem is that the did add some decent stuff up until about FM07/08 and it was still played pretty brisy and it's hard to go back to CM01/02 (which is the one the database still gets updated for, I think?)

Soldato
I want to believe that there will be significant improvements to the match engine this year, but I say that every year. 2019 was barely any better than 2018, and 2018 wasn't much different to 2016. I understand that it is not easy to do and would require significant work, they're just glossing over the problems with it. Whereas I have skipped several years previosuly, I have always kept an eye on every release and the patches they release, but this year will probably be the first time since 1993 that I don't even consider buying Football Manager (or Champ Man as it was) at all.

Soldato
If you haven't bought one in years, then yes they are pretty good. It's when you've been buying them for years, that they become very stale becuase not much actually changes.

i like management game but i always wanted to make the same signings my favourite club made lol.

Last one i bought was probably ten years ago lol

Back
Top Bottom