Memory issues that I can't solve

Associate
I'm hoping someone can offer some help with this issue. Basically I've just bought an ASUS B450 Strix F motherboard. A Ryzen 2600 and a 4 X 8GB Kit of ram from Crucial, this stuff to be exact https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/bls4k8g4d32aesck my problem is no matter what I do I can't seem to achieve any speed higher then 2800mhz. At last I I thought it could just be this kit or the fact that I'm using 4 dimms so I tried a kit of Corsair vengeance 3000mhz 2x8GB and an facing the same issues. This kit wont even boot though at its XMP/D.O.C.P setting where the Crucial did but just crashed when loading a game after a few seconds. I have tried both of these RAM kits on my X470 Prime Pro before I sold it and both ran at rated speeds without an issue. So I now believe it's the new motherboard or the Memory controller in the new CPU. I'm not very good when it comes to stuff like this though so could anyone point me in the right direction. I've tried upping voltages with the RAM upto 1.4v overclocking the CPU to 4.1GHZ changing timings with the Ryzen memory program. But no matter what if I select anything above 2800mhz on either kit it just doesn't want to know. 3 days I've been trying and I'm no further to a solution. The message I've had among others when it blue screens is (DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL) Motherboard is also on the latest bios.

Last edited:
Associate
The Asus Strix B450-F is a pretty rubbish motherboard. I'd return it if you still have the chance, especially since you're encountering issues too.

Soldato
I'm thinking that the 2600 does struggle to do over 3000mhz even with good chips sometimes, that coupled with the fact you're running 4 sticks only hurts you more, I haven't really got much advice as I have issues myself with getting the RAM to work correctly on my system. What CPU were you using on the X470? If it was a 1xxx or 2xxx series CPU then I'd defininetly say it's the board being a poop and you should return it, difficult to recommend what board to get though even if you do return it considering all the issues with the Tomahawk Max (most are with Ryzen 3xxx) however.

Associate
OP
I'm thinking that the 2600 does struggle to do over 3000mhz even with good chips sometimes, that coupled with the fact you're running 4 sticks only hurts you more, I haven't really got much advice as I have issues myself with getting the RAM to work correctly on my system. What CPU were you using on the X470? If it was a 1xxx or 2xxx series CPU then I'd defininetly say it's the board being a poop and you should return it, difficult to recommend what board to get though even if you do return it considering all the issues with the Tomahawk Max (most are with Ryzen 3xxx) however.
I was running a Ryzen 1500X on the X470 Prime and it ran 3000mhz and even ran the 4 dimm Crucial kit at 3200mhz no problem. Haven't had issues like this for a few years and seen as the board is only a week old I think it's best just to return it. Question is what do I replace it with. I'm looking at the MSI gaming pro carbon ac but I think I'll have to do some more research. It's a shame b450 isn't close yet.

Associate
I set up a Ryzen 5 2600, MSI B450 Tomahawk (non-MAX), 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200 MT/s and setting XMP was a breeze. Passed memtest86 and ran Prime95 all night, no issues whatsoever. 4x8GB might be an issue, but 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MT/s should be fine.

Associate
I was running a Ryzen 1500X on the X470 Prime and it ran 3000mhz and even ran the 4 dimm Crucial kit at 3200mhz no problem. Haven't had issues like this for a few years and seen as the board is only a week old I think it's best just to return it. Question is what do I replace it with. I'm looking at the MSI gaming pro carbon ac but I think I'll have to do some more research.
These B450 motherboards are decent value for money:
  • MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC (ATX)
  • MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX (ATX)
  • MSI B450M Mortar MAX (micro-ATX)

The MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC has onboard WiFi/Bluetooth if that's something that is useful to you.

All 3 of the above motherboards have BIOS Flashback button, which I think is a great feature to have.

Back
Top Bottom