Are you doing anything with Hue?

Associate
Morning. Looking at moving into an apartment with 24+ GU10s.

I have a decent stock of B22s.

Where's best to start looking for GU10s? Not sure whether to try Innr or Ikea, or pay the money for Hue. I see Ikea have an "ambiance" type GU10 but not sure if it's out yet? Innr are about £15 for their "ambiance".

I think White is enough for most of the rooms, but probably buy some Hue colours too.

Any thoughts?

Soldato
I've been happy with Innr.. not tried Ikea to be fair. Wouldn't pay the extra to go Hue, I've got a mix of both and couldn't tell you which is which.

Associate
Any advice on what hue drive I should get to make ambient lighting behind my TV? I've been looking at it for a while any advice or will I get sick of it quite quickly?

Soldato
I used two Play Light bars stuck to the back of my TV. I doubt you’ll get sick of it as it’s just light and should even improve your TV viewing experience.

Soldato
Anyone using multiple motion sensors to control lights in certain areas?

I have moved into a new house which has larger hallway/landing areas, and I don't think 1 motion sensor on each floor will cut it that well anymore.

Man of Honour

I have moved into a new house which has larger hallway/landing areas, and I don't think 1 motion sensor on each floor will cut it that well anymore.
Nope but I've had some for about a year, I really should get around to putting them up in the downstairs and upstairs hallway/landing.

Soldato

I don't see that being an issue.

In fact there's a Hue lab recipe that adds some clever logic to a pair of sensors. So that if one sensor is tripped, your defined lights will activate, but only when both sensors sense no motion will the lights be switched off.

So if you have one in your hallway and the motion triggers the lights to activate, you walk upstairs and the sensor on the landing will also trigger to stop the lights from being switched off.

Either that or you keep the lights separate, i.e. motion sensor just for hallway light, and then a separate one for the landing light.

Soldato
I don't see that being an issue.

In fact there's a Hue lab recipe that adds some clever logic to a pair of sensors. So that if one sensor is tripped, your defined lights will activate, but only when both sensors sense no motion will the lights be switched off.

So if you have one in your hallway and the motion triggers the lights to activate, you walk upstairs and the sensor on the landing will also trigger to stop the lights from being switched off.

Either that or you keep the lights separate, i.e. motion sensor just for hallway light, and then a separate one for the landing light.

I have two hallway ceiling lights, and two landing ceiling lights. The problem is the angles as I could use a few different doors to enter/exit these areas of the house. Two motion sensors in each area would definitely make it easier because I can cover more ground.

Soldato
I have two hallway ceiling lights, and two landing ceiling lights. The problem is the angles as I could use a few different doors to enter/exit these areas of the house. Two motion sensors in each area would definitely make it easier because I can cover more ground.

So if it were me i'd split the hallway and landing into separate rooms. Have two motion sensors in the hallway using the above recipe i mentioned, and same in the landing if the same problem occurs.

I assume you've maxed out the sensitivity level on the motion sensor? I know in my parents house their hallway isn't straight and shoots off at a right angle, so a sensor placed near the front wouldn't capture some part of it. Maybe some tweaking with the positioning of the sensor?

Soldato
So if it were me i'd split the hallway and landing into separate rooms. Have two motion sensors in the hallway using the above recipe i mentioned, and same in the landing if the same problem occurs.

I assume you've maxed out the sensitivity level on the motion sensor? I know in my parents house their hallway isn't straight and shoots off at a right angle, so a sensor placed near the front wouldn't capture some part of it. Maybe some tweaking with the positioning of the sensor?

Yep I have split them into two "rooms" in the Hue app, seems to work OK as long as the motion is captured. I definitely think 2 in each area would be needed to reasonably capture walking through the hallway/landing from most conceivable angles.

Soldato
Could someone clarify -
If you have time programmed bulbs via a phone app, does the hub remember that programming ? so you do not need to subsequently have the phone/app live ? ....
if so, effectively the hub is a mini-pc then, with potential limits on the complexity of things that can be programmed.

I had been looking at this android smart control app https://www.domoticz.com/wiki/Android , but if you have to have the phone live it wouldn't be much use

RJC

RJC

Don
Could someone clarify -
If you have time programmed bulbs via a phone app, does the hub remember that programming ? so you do not need to subsequently have the phone/app live ? ....
if so, effectively the hub is a mini-pc then, with potential limits on the complexity of things that can be programmed.

I had been looking at this android smart control app https://www.domoticz.com/wiki/Android , but if you have to have the phone live it wouldn't be much use

The hub will remember the settings, no need to keep the app running on phone or any other device which can run the Philips Hue App.

Soldato
Manged to kill my hub the other day so lost all control until a new one turns up, forgot how annoying it is having to use light switches and surprised by how dark my kitchen is without the light strip on under the cabinets.

Moving in just over a week so will have a whole new house to set up completely fresh. Will be going the whole hog this time around as I'm currently only controlling a few main areas as well as the lounge and kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom