90hz OLED screen with always on display and reduced notch

6GB RAM

5G

Further FaceID improvements

Base storage upped to 128GB

USB C

Reverse wireless charging

Higher wattage wireless charging

There’s been a LOT of rumours that next year is going to see a big upgrade and it makes sense now that the X design is 3 years old.

Seems like madness to upgrade now from a X, so going to be an exciting wait until next sep!

Last edited:
Caporegime
I want to return to iOS but this year was so dull for the asking price I couldn't justify it.

2020 seems a more likely point to jump back on the iOS train - if we see a new design, high refresh rate screen and 5G.

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree with most of those.

I see USB-C, screen refresh similar to iPad Pro, upgraded FaceID from iPad Pro (upside down unlocking etc) and perhaps, dare I say it, a sharper edge.

eg. essentially a smaller iPad Pro, perhaps with a notch still.

Soldato
Add touch ID and force touch back, call it 'retro' for the nostalgia value of re-integrating old useful features that they took away from us, then you can count me in.

Soldato
Now that the excitement has died down, can’t wait for the 2020 iPhone:

All new design, without horrid camera bump and less weight

90hz OLED screen with always on display and reduced notch

6GB RAM

5G

Further FaceID improvements with additional under screen touchID.

Base storage upped to 128GB

There’s been a LOT of rumours that next year is going to see a big upgrade and it makes sense now that the X design is 3 years old.

Seems like madness to upgrade now from a X, so going to be an exciting wait until next sep!

You know all of this fancy camera stuff takes up space?

Soldato
This is the one I’m waiting on as well. I have an iPhone X currently and have seen nothing the past couple of years that has really made me want to upgrade.

However if all or a few of these options happened in 2020 then that could make me part with my cash.

5G
ProMotion Display
FaceID Improvements - Under glass or reduced notch size with iPad Pro style rotation unlock. The ability to unlock the phone while it’s on a Flat surface would be nice as well.
Under Glass TouchID - Would be nice as a backup but FaceID has always been great for me
USB-C
Reverse Wireless Charging
Redesign Similar to Current iPad Pro

Soldato
For me, the ProMotion display would be nice on iPhone but isn't critical. I think the display on my XS Max is very good, so the 11 is likely even better, but I choose to do anything that would benefit from it on my iPad Pro. Sticking TouchID under the screen would be good. I'm very happy with FaceID which has so far worked from my desk and in a dark crowded bar, but it's nice to have it there. A smaller notch would be nice. Could potentially just incorporate it into the design language like on the iPad Pro.

USB-C would definitely be welcomed though.

Soldato
I assume this is just a wish list?

I doubt there will be anything new other then:

5G
Colour
General Spec Bump

Calling it right now.

All this talk of under glass Face ID is just wishful thinking, it isn’t happening. I’d expect the notch to be identical.

I doubt the high refresh rate screen will be a thing either, I know the ROG phone has it but the quality (colours, brightness) is poor compared to Apples offering. The iPad is LCD, I can’t see them going back to that on iPhone pro.

Under glass Touch ID isn’t happening either.

Soldato
OP
I’ve amended the OP to reflect the higher probability improvements.

It’s going to be a huge change relative to this year. Apple don’t keep the same design 4 years running and they’ll have to go 5G to compete.

Those 2 changes alone make the 2020 model far more interesting than this years naff upgrade.

Associate
I think they’ll go with USB C with the Pro Models next year for sure.

5G? In an ideal world yes, but Apple will only put it in if the infrastructure is there for it. They’re always happy to be the last if it means there’s an actual need for it to be in the phones.

Associate
I call bull.

Reduced notch? Yes
No notch? Nope.

If they’re putting all the sensors in the top then you’re gonna end up with thicker bezels.
No way they’re fitting it in what they have now.

Geskin is good at renders wouldn’t call him a leaker, I’ll wait for the usual suspects

Back
Top Bottom