System suggestions.

Associate
Hi fellow members.
So I have decided I want a new AMD system in my life.
System will be used primarily for gaming, compiling code and light video/photography work. So will likely be overkill at the time of building, but will be well specified for the future.

The kind of games I play are:
Tomb Raider, ROTTR and SOTTR.
Kerbal Space Program
Hitman 2
BeamNG
Battlefield 2
SWTOR
Flight Simulator X

At this time I will carry on using certain parts:
Dell U3014 Monitor (2560x1600 60Hz)
Asus GTX 1070.
1Tb SSD + 2x 10Tb Hard Drives.
Keyboard + Mice.

What suggestions would you make, to compliment an AMD 3900X, at a reasonable budget?

Meshify S2 Blackout TG £140
I like air cooling, and this is one of the better cases, buy can support water cooling blocks.

Corsair MP600 1Tb M.2 £300
Are the new PCIE 4 drives needed, beyond Windows 10 booting times?

750 - 1000W PSU? ~£200
I intend to buy a flagship AMD or Nvidia GFX card next year, so was thinking of 500W delta for it, plus more hard drives.

X570 Motherboard?
I like the X570 Gigabyte Aurus Master £390
But open to suggestions.

32GB Ram?
No clue where to start. 2 or 4 Dim's of the best overclocking I can get.
I don't want RGB disco lighting.

AM4 Cooler. I like the Dark Rock Pro 4 Air Cooler. But would a AIO Water cooler be best?

Associate
yes you are correct - your list is probably overkill. But I would agree to most of it. I am finding that a 3600 is fine for the moment. I have a gigabyte aurous pro and for £260 that has enough prunt for a 16 core overclocked 3950. Personally I am using the 3600 until the the 4th gen 16 core comes out. I like the 1 or 2TB corsair M510 (pci 3) - I doubt that you will notice the difference between the pci4 M600. But the M600 is good if building new and you don't want to move windows in the future.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3200mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-08l-tg.html or the 3600mhz would be good memeory. As the 3200mhz is cheaper you should be able to buy that and just the timings to the 3600mzh spec if wanted. Then use the ryzen DRAM calculator to tweak the memory settings in the bios for a small improvement.

Associate
The MP510 doesn't have the heat sink that the M600 has but you can use the included motherboard heatsinks to put the MP510 under which help well. I recently saw a der Baur youtube vid that demonstrated that the mobo heat sinks were generally good.

Caporegime
As someone suggested to me in my thread, check out the Asus X570 TUF & Prime motherboards. If you want more features, then the Gigabyte Master you mentioned is extremely good, as is the Asus Hero. I think I've got the names right... :)

Soldato
The MP510 doesn't have the heat sink that the M600 has but you can use the included motherboard heatsinks to put the MP510 under which help well. I recently saw a der Baur youtube vid that demonstrated that the mobo heat sinks were generally good.
Apparently the sticker acts as a minor heatsink.

Anyway, FWIW my MP510 has never gone over 50 degrees - no heatsink.

Soldato
Assuming coding doesn't need lots of cpu cores ? I would go with a 3700X. Easy enough to drop a higher core count cpu in once the platform has matured a bit.

You won't notice any difference between SATA and a pcie 4.0 SSD for the most part. If it was me I would go with a pcie 3.0 Sabrent Rocket. You will have to google it as ocuk don't sell it.

No need for 1000W or even 750W. A good 650W would handle a 2080 ti and 3900X.

You have better UK RMA support with Gigabyte and a forum rep. The Asus TUF X570 (wifi) is usually priced pretty well though if you want a different brand.

Ram is pretty cheap so 32GB makes sense. The Crucial Ballistix Sport LT is priced pretty good. Not sold on here though. Just make sure it has 'AES' in the Crucial part number.

The Dark Rock Pro 4 is a good cooler so no issues there.

Associate
They work, indeed. Even better after replacing the thermalpad with some Gelid. Mine doesn't cross the low 40s c under normal use. Quite often sitting at mid 30s.

Associate
They work, indeed. Even better after replacing the thermalpad with some Gelid. Mine doesn't cross the low 40s c under normal use. Quite often sitting at mid 30s.
good point about replacing the thermal pad for a better one. I have been thinking of trying carbonaut under my cpu but you could cut this down to fit under a NVME.

My latest upgrade has been to "8pack" 2 x 8gb 3200 and a x570 gigabyte pro and a 3600 and I have been amazed at the performance of the low range 3600. what do you think about your 3600?

Associate
Apparently the sticker acts as a minor heatsink.

Anyway, FWIW my MP510 has never gone over 50 degrees - no heatsink.
yes the sticker is metallic I believe and acts as a heatspreader. usually the ssd is only accessed briefly and periodically and so shouldn't get any hotter for most people. If you are moving large files etc back and forth quickly then usually you need greater capacity than 1 gb drives.

Associate
OP
Thank you, everyone, for responding and your feedback.

So to summarise, at this time I have only ordered:
Meshify S2 Blackout TG Case.
3 x Fractal Design X2 GP14 Fans.

Everything else is subject to change.
I was surprised to learn that the Meshify S2 Blackout TG Case, only comes with 3 fans with the case,
yet has space for 8 fans in total to be fitting, hence why I ordered more.

As for the CPU.
No, I can't see coding, and many games making use of 12 Cores at this time.
But it's not much more money to buy over the 8 Core 3700X or 3800X.
Sadly the 3900X is also not the £480 bargain it once was. :(
Certainly in the future, I intend to put a 16 Core 4000X or 5000X series CPU, if AMD supports the present
AM4 socket for another 2 or more years.

I am also still very much interested in purchasing the Dark Rock 4 Pro CPU cooler.
But I am curious as to alternative AOI coolers. How do they compare?
And do members have any recommendations for 3x 14CM Radiator coolers?
Also what thermal paste is advised?
Is Arctic Silver 5? still the best or is there alternatives that I need to consider?

As for RAM.
Am I correct in thinking I need to populate only two DIMM's, to make the most out of the CPU's bandwidth?
Does using all four DIMM's, add any extra latencies? Or slow the RAM speed down?
At this time, I have my eye on the following RAM modules:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...z-dual-channel-kit-cmt32gx4m2c-my-4br-cs.html
It seems like a good module. Sadly so much of Overclockers inventory is out of stock. :(

The motherboard I continue to like is the X570 Gigabyte Aurus Master.
Especially with its 14 Phase power supply systems. However, I was annoyed to read that when populating all 3 M.2 slot's only 4 of the SATA3 ports work, due to bandwidth limitations.
Is this also a common problem with the suggested motherboards, previously in the thread?
Asus X570 TUF & Prime & Hero motherboards?
What about Asrock Taichi or Extreme 4 Motherboards?
I am looking into this, but if someone knows the anwser please let me know. :)
I ask as I intended to populate the Meshify case with 3x 10TB Mechanical drives, 2x SSD's and potentially 3x M.2 drives in the future. (What can I say, I like storage.)

Again many thanks for reading this essay.
All feedback is welcome. :D

Associate
good point about replacing the thermal pad for a better one. I have been thinking of trying carbonaut under my cpu but you could cut this down to fit under a NVME.

My latest upgrade has been to "8pack" 2 x 8gb 3200 and a x570 gigabyte pro and a 3600 and I have been amazed at the performance of the low range 3600. what do you think about your 3600?
I'm using the Gelid GP-Extreme thermalpad. Good price and very efficient.
About the CPU, it's very competent. Noticeable improvement over my previous 1600X, running much colder and no problems running the RAM at higher frequencies than I was ever able to do before.
Hard to justify 2 extra cores for 50% price increase (3700x). Don't get me wrong, the 3700X must be very good, but performance per pound, can't see anything to beat the 3600 at the moment.

Associate
Thank you, everyone, for responding and your feedback.

So to summarise, at this time I have only ordered:
Meshify S2 Blackout TG Case.
3 x Fractal Design X2 GP14 Fans.

Everything else is subject to change.
I was surprised to learn that the Meshify S2 Blackout TG Case, only comes with 3 fans with the case,
yet has space for 8 fans in total to be fitting, hence why I ordered more.

As for the CPU.
No, I can't see coding, and many games making use of 12 Cores at this time.
But it's not much more money to buy over the 8 Core 3700X or 3800X.
Sadly the 3900X is also not the £480 bargain it once was. :(
Certainly in the future, I intend to put a 16 Core 4000X or 5000X series CPU, if AMD supports the present
AM4 socket for another 2 or more years.

I am also still very much interested in purchasing the Dark Rock 4 Pro CPU cooler.
But I am curious as to alternative AOI coolers. How do they compare?
And do members have any recommendations for 3x 14CM Radiator coolers?
Also what thermal paste is advised?
Is Arctic Silver 5? still the best or is there alternatives that I need to consider?

As for RAM.
Am I correct in thinking I need to populate only two DIMM's, to make the most out of the CPU's bandwidth?
Does using all four DIMM's, add any extra latencies? Or slow the RAM speed down?
At this time, I have my eye on the following RAM modules:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...z-dual-channel-kit-cmt32gx4m2c-my-4br-cs.html
It seems like a good module. Sadly so much of Overclockers inventory is out of stock. :(

The motherboard I continue to like is the X570 Gigabyte Aurus Master.
Especially with its 14 Phase power supply systems. However, I was annoyed to read that when populating all 3 M.2 slot's only 4 of the SATA3 ports work, due to bandwidth limitations.
Is this also a common problem with the suggested motherboards, previously in the thread?
Asus X570 TUF & Prime & Hero motherboards?
What about Asrock Taichi or Extreme 4 Motherboards?
I am looking into this, but if someone knows the anwser please let me know. :)
I ask as I intended to populate the Meshify case with 3x 10TB Mechanical drives, 2x SSD's and potentially 3x M.2 drives in the future. (What can I say, I like storage.)

Again many thanks for reading this essay.
All feedback is welcome. :D
You can always use PCI-E adapters to install more M.2 without affecting the SATA ports available, but at least here, won't be using its 8 ports plus the 2 m.2.

Associate
OP
Holy thread revival batman!

So after some weeks, after I initially opened this thread and asked for advice and suggestions, I have to admit I didn't listen much. But I do appreciate the feedback I got, it helped influence my builds specification. But I thought I'd update members on the latest developments.

At this time I have ordered the following parts:
3900X (2 week eta.)
X570 Gigabyte Aorus Master
GSKILL F4-3600C17Q 4x16GB
Dark Rock Pro 4 Cooler
Corsair HX850i Platinum
Corsair MP600 2Tb
Fractal Meshify S2 Blackout
Western Digital 10Tb x2

I am also contemplating ordering a Samsung QVE 2tb SSD for games. How does it differ from an EVO drive?
And I need a copy of Windows 10.

I dread to think how much has been spent on this system. But It'll pay for itself in the coming months of coding, and a half a decade of gaming. :D

Role on AMD and Nvidia announcements next year..

Soldato
I am also contemplating ordering a Samsung QVE 2tb SSD for games. How does it differ from an EVO drive?
By being something you shouldn't be thinking about getting after spending that much on excess.
It's QLC Flash drive and natively slower to write than old spinning rust, doing awesome HDDs dozen years ago level 144MB/s after running out of SLC cache:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/samsung_860_qvo_2tb_ssd_review,6.html
While those 10TB HDDs will likely do happily 200+ MB/s sequential write for the whole drive.

QLC is pretty much analog storage and needs to differentiate between 16 charge states to avoid errors, which also makes long term endurance challenge.
Because of that it should be way cheaper than TLC drives, what it isn't.
There are TLC based drives like Crucial MX500 and Patriot P200 for same price level.
TLC drives at least maintain some level of standard after running out of SLC cache and with "only" 8 charge levels per cell are less vulnerable to deterioration of charge.

High capacity separate HDDs are ridiculously priced nowadays and for lots of storage space "shucking" external drives saves lots of money:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QApvLyorr3g

Back
Top Bottom