• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
I see MSI themselves have commented on the video about it being a pre production sample. They then go on to say they would be happy to send him another board. Very magnanimous of them. I’d have been tempted to tell him to **** off!

Hardware unboxed are right though. Gigabyte are the king of X570 boards.
Gigabyte are king of X570 VRM layouts. ASUS I prefer for their BIOS. Gigabytes BIOS are still ****.

Because you pushing the CPU to operate constantly instead of boosting properly.

Look at @ljt post above. Did a better analysis. My advice is leave Boost & core at default using the ABBA bios.
And overclock IF to 1900 and RAM as that is where all the gains on Ryzen are. Up to 36% more fps in games, which is huge overclock, than a mere 100mhz which means nothing.
I'm not sure this is entirely true. When my voltage was set automatically to be 1.1v, the CPU would still experience fluctuating voltages below that level where the 1.1v wasn't needed. The problem I saw with setting a voltage that low was that the CPU would never boost to a clock that couldn't be sustained at that voltage.

Soldato
The dram calc isn't magically gonna make your IF go faster. I will say that's a hard hardware limitation. If you chip cant do it it cant do it. You will know what it can do when you stop experience issues.

Mine is 1800MHz. Any more and I get audio corruption in windows and rebooting.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone else been able to bench the 3800x at 4.5GHz all cores and play games?
Considering Der Bauers findings on ABB BIOS that less than 30% of 3800X chips could reach a single core boost of 4.5Ghz it would be a golden sample chip indeed that could run all cores at that speed #SiliconeLotteryWinner

Associate
Considering Der Bauers findings on ABB BIOS that less than 30% of 3800X chips could reach a single core boost of 4.5Ghz it would be a golden sample chip indeed that could run all cores at that speed #SiliconeLotteryWinner

I have one that can bench at 4.5GHz, see signature.

Soldato
Well... No! this shows just how much of an idiot he is...

So he gets into Windows, complains about 1.5 volts idle and invites his viewers to watch how high the temps will go when he runs Cinebench, 63c and the volts dropped to 1.26v during the run. its pretty obvious he was not expecting that, like an utter NOOB he looked at the idle volts, thought he knew some thing he didn't even begin to understand, the 1.5v Idle, which is completely normal, and panicked, like someone who knows 1.5v is high for an Intel but knows absolutely nothing beyond that.

Most of the people in here know far more about CPU's than he does.

https://youtu.be/XdxyTWSeRx4?t=359

Like this ^^^^ guy he doesn't understand how the boost algorithm works. And i'm sick of explaining it.

Thats not very nice humbug, to be honest, you dont know how it works yourself, I didnt say it before as I was been polite.

The idle 1.5v is absolutely nothing to do with the boost algorithm by the way.

I never said JayZ got it completely right, but I agree with him that cpu's shouldnt be idling at 1.5v. If I remember right you was claiming there was nothing wrong with the old broken amd scheduler right even when amd themselves issued a fix? One way to identify a shill is when he still defends something that even the company acknowledges as broken.

As a reminder the basis of my comment is when I left my 2600x idling overnight on remote desktop and all that time it was at 1.4+ volts. I also explained that it had an operational effect, higher temps and power draw, when I moved the system to the microsoft scheduler. It worked properly.

However where jayz got it wrong is looking at the voltage in the bios, in every modern bios I have used they idle at load voltages. So seeing 1.5v in the bios in that regard is not broken as bios's dont utilise power saving modes, no cstates or pstates.

He also got it completely wrong by diagnosing the bios as been broken without doing any kind of cpu or board swapout first.

My 2600x will use XFR voltage in bios if thats enabled, but interestingly it uses the all core voltage not single core, which is different to what jayz was seeing, perhaps that is what threw him off. I assume either msi or AMD have made a change on ryzen 3000 series so the load on the chips is different in the bios.

Now AMD specs say volts up to 1.5v are within normal parameters. However they also said the following on reddit.

1.5v is within specification, the chips are designed to burst up to this voltage as and when load demands require it.

Thats a bit different to having a chip sit at 1.5v 24/7.

It is a bit like a car that is rated up to a certain amount of revs but its not designed to run at those revs 24/7.

My opinion is no one's chips are going to blow up, they will all probably easily last out warranty periods. But at the same time I think the 1.5v idling is perhaps a bug, also the AGESA update's issued are unusual practice for a released cpu product. Which was the basis of my beta comment (alongside the scheduler patch).

Soldato
Lots of comments mention Hardwareunboxed calling him out for having a preproduction board and Jay deleting their comment rather than addressing it openly.

I agree with hardwareunboxed on the comment, but whats interesting about hardwareunboxed is he consistently gets better bench results on amd hardware than other reviewers. Plus makes a lot of anti intel videos. I remember checking the 5700XT bench on hardwareunboxed and thought wow this is almost at 1080ti level. Then I checked other review sites and there was over a 10% differential.

I think jayz video was weird and was clearly a rant, as to what purpose I dont know, but when I said its good to not be hidden, is my belief is that if a reviewer has an issue with a product (even if he is wrong) he should be out in public with it. If a company then removes the freebies because of rant's then it shows up the company more than the reviewer in my opinion, are freebies only for positive public comments?

The problem as I always say, is reviewers are not impartial for the most part, the moment they get their first free kit or press event invite they are done for impartiality. Jayz it might be he has that bit of intel loyalty he wont let go, who knows.

Associate
I agree with hardwareunboxed on the comment, but whats interesting about hardwareunboxed is he consistently gets better bench results on amd hardware than other reviewers. Plus makes a lot of anti intel videos. I remember checking the 5700XT bench on hardwareunboxed and thought wow this is almost at 1080ti level. Then I checked other review sites and there was over a 10% differential.

I think jayz video was weird and was clearly a rant, as to what purpose I dont know, but when I said its good to not be hidden, is my belief is that if a reviewer has an issue with a product (even if he is wrong) he should be out in public with it. If a company then removes the freebies because of rant's then it shows up the company more than the reviewer in my opinion, are freebies only for positive public comments?

The problem as I always say, is reviewers are not impartial for the most part, the moment they get their first free kit or press event invite they are done for impartiality. Jayz it might be he has that bit of intel loyalty he wont let go, who knows.
However this is a clear case of Jay not having a clue and instead of going to MSI and saying look I'm seeing something odd with this (like most people would with a faulty product), he made a video lambasting AMD and MSI making himself look like a total tit.

None of this little storm in a teacup would have occurred if he had done some basic due diligence on the products he was using. Such as how to OC the CPU and finding out why his whizzbang mobo wasn't whizzing and was banging too much.

The icing on the cake was just attacking everyone on Twitter and Reddit who for the most part were civil and pointing out his errors. There were a few being dicks but he's gonna attract that with the amount of subs he has.

Soldato
seems he didn't delete the posts in question - t'was the spam filter.....

JayzTwoCents
1 day ago
SO.... it would appear that the Reddit trolls started threads claiming that I was deleting comments, including Hardware Unboxed comments. It would appear that his comment ended up in the spam filter because people posted links in his replies which ends up throwing the entire comment thread in the spam filters. The same goes for a lot of comments with links. I have more comments in spam filter on this video than ever before... Ive posted proof on twitter that his comment WAS NOT deleted or censored by me... his comment should be live now and at the top because of the number of likes on it. THIS one is pinned instead of that one because I wont tolerate being accused of something I didnt do. If you think this video is one big 'sweary' up, then thats fine. But I didnt delete anyone's comments.... Well thats not entirely true... I usually delete "first" comments... but I think we can all agree thats ok.

Soldato
Bet he still wishes he never posted that video though.
doubt it. as the poster above says really. it's the no publicity is bad publicity mentality.
i can't for 1 minute believe he doesn't know the operational characteristics of the R3K chips. maybe, just maybe, he forgot he was using a pre-production board but i imagine it was just a 'shout loud' video to attract attention, clicks and views. but then again i have a low opinion of most of these self appointed tech experts.

Back
Top Bottom