Menopausal women - labour

Soldato
You're advised to call in sick if you have a cold at a lot of places, you've got sick days, use them. You're also not experiencing cold symptoms at anywhere near the frequency menopausal woman are, 3-4 days of symptoms maybe 2-3 times a year.

For all the kick off in this thread it all sounds relatively mundane. Flexible working means giving them the option of working 11am-7pm instead of 9-5, not letting them do 20 hour weeks at full pay.

Precisely. Just introduce a range of measures to deal with a range of situations via flexible working. Employers will not and can not always deal with specific situations, but rather manage the outcomes from them.

Caporegime
I don't think it is something that needs to be specific towards menopausal women but rather should be offered in general... people have all sorts of physical and mental health issues at various stages in their life, flexible working where appropriate ought to be standard. If you're too unwell to work then you call in sick, if you're regularly calling in sick then you let your manager/HR know that you've got a condition that might well cause more sick days than usual. So long as you're otherwise able to get the work done then it shouldn't be a biggie... so you have a few more days off - so what?

The productivity of individual employees varies by much more than than a few extra days worth of work - Brian might turn up every day, never had a day sick and is super proud of it etc.. but Brian is fairly mediocre at what he does, Karen is a much more diligent worker but has had 2 weeks signed off by her GP for stress and had some scattered sick days last winter too... but she completely rescued a project in the summer and has some skills Brian doesn't have. Brian is resentful at Karen taking all that additional time off though in reality she did far more work than him across the year.

Caporegime
Yeah, tell that to all the women who have been paying for tampons over the years - if a bloke was bleeding that would never happen.

Why not?

Its not like we get free razors and man sized tissues etc...

Or free nappies for babies etc..

They're a choice - other sanitary products are available including reusable options.

Soldato
"Women - you are victims! Vote for us and will will give you extra privileges!*".
"Anyone who isn't heterosexual - you are victims! Vote for us and will will give you extra privileges!*".
"Anyone who isn't white - you are victims! Vote for us and will will give you extra privileges!*".

*Small print: "We will ruin your economy, wreck your society, and when your grandchildren are raped by Muslim gangs, we will cover it up and call you a racist."

The tories are doing a great job of that already tbf

Soldato
Ahh labour, trying to bribe their way into power...

Next will be a re allocation of farmland as white men own the majority of land in the uk and everyone should have a plot of land..

Caporegime
Periods are a choice now?

No, read again - the choice of products to use is... a choice!

You are aware that reusable nappies exist? The ones used a couple of generations ago before disposables started blocking our sewers? They're making a come back now.

You don't need to buy a Gillette - safety razors (again from a couple of generations ago) are still available with a rather minor disposable element.

Disposable tampons aren't the only thing girls can use - some women now use re-usable moon cups if they're worried about the environment etc..

Seriously, will somebody please film themselves and the responses they get to these comments and questions.

I would love to see it.

Why not explain your position - you seem to indicate that tampons should be free, it is slight diversion from the thread topic of menopausal women but apparently you think this is a particular hardship for women. My question is why should they be free? Are you ignorant of the fact they're not the only solution?

Likewise - If tampons should be free should disposable nappies be free? Razor blades? Man sized tissues? etc.. etc..

Apparently rather than discuss you're seemingly adamant you're absolutely right and you're responding with quotes whereby you're just posturing form your belief that you hold the moral high ground and we should all just accept it... even though you don't apparently want to think about it. We should all just accept that position...

Last edited:
Soldato
Why not explain your position - you seem to indicate that tampons are free, it is slight diversion from the thread topic of menopausal women but apparently you think this is a particular hardship for women. My question is why should they be free? Are you ignorant of the fact they're not the only solution?
Free? Not sure where I indicated that, they're only just now free to schools AFAIK.

Am I ignorant to the 'options'? No.

Do I think you should perhaps consider the situation from the women's point of view,or if you can't maybe ask them? Yes.

Not at all. Try and get any job looking like a wookiee and see what happens.
I meant comparing beard styling to periods and/or the menopause...

Caporegime
Free? Not sure where I indicated that, they're only just now free to schools AFAIK.

Do I think you should perhaps consider the situation from the women's point of view,or if you can't maybe ask them? Yes.

Well you indicated that they perhaps would be if they were male products (quote below) and we've seen your responses to suggestions they shouldn't necessarily be.

I am considering it, I've thrown in some other examples - I'm more interested in your position - what are you actually arguing for here? That some women believe they should be free but you don't but that you'd be too scared to tell a woman that? It really isn't clear - why not just say what you think instead of throwing in all the other guff?

Yeah, tell that to all the women who have been paying for tampons over the years - if a bloke was bleeding that would never happen.

Soldato
Well you indicated that they perhaps would be if they were male products (quote below) and we've seen your responses to suggestions they shouldn't necessarily be.

I am considering it, I've thrown in some other examples - I'm more interested in your position - what are you actually arguing for here? That some women believe they should be free but you don't but that you'd be too scared to tell a woman that? It really isn't clear - why not just say what you think instead of throwing in all the other guff?
I believe they should be free, not just to schools.

Just because you misunderstand doesn't mean something is 'guff'

Man of Honour
Want more time off, and they wonder why men on average earn more money. Can men also have time off for their "mid-life" crisis?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49781137
Presumably you have been in a relationship with multiple women and know that some women feel really quite sick and uncomfortable on and around their period? The menopause is presumably like that x20.

I mean, if people feel physically sick and it affects their work, why shouldn’t work address and acknowledge that, to some degree? I imagine it is quite a taboo and very emotional for most women as it signifies the end of their ability to bear children. Men don’t have to worry about the emotional turmoil of losing that ability.

So much emphasis on ‘the hypocrisy of equality’. Really it should all be about fairness. It is fair that if people are ill then their employers should acknowledge this and provide support.

RDM

RDM

Soldato

I meant comparing beard styling to periods and/or the menopause...

They aren’t free to schools. Some schools will provide them to students for free, some teachers will out of their own pockets, some charities provide them.

Back
Top Bottom