Menopausal women - labour

Caporegime
Presumably you have been in a relationship with multiple women and know that some women feel really quite sick and uncomfortable on and around their period? The menopause is presumably like that x20.

I mean, if people feel physically sick and it affects their work, why shouldn’t work address and acknowledge that, to some degree? I imagine it is quite a taboo and very emotional for most women as it signifies the end of their ability to bear children. Men don’t have to worry about the emotional turmoil of losing that ability.

So much emphasis on ‘the hypocrisy of equality’. Really it should all be about fairness. It is fair that if people are ill then their employers should acknowledge this and provide support.

Should men get time off for the flop? That's upsetting and life changing.

Man of Honour
Should men get time off for the flop? That's upsetting and life changing.
I suppose I fell into that for emphasising emotion.

It depends. If it doesn’t have physical symptoms that affects work and being comfortable, then it should only really be of concern to an employer in respect of stress and mental health. Perhaps erectile dysfunction will cause someone considerable stress? Although there is a pill for that. Plus, I’ve not been required to whip out a rock hard marrow-like semi, at work, for quite some time - unlikely to interfere with most jobs, I’d suggest, quite unlike symptoms of feeling physically sick that you get with things like the menopause.

Caporegime
I suppose I fell into that for emphasising emotion.

It depends. If it doesn’t have physical symptoms that affects work and being comfortable, then it should only really be of concern to an employer in respect of stress and mental health. Perhaps erectile dysfunction will cause someone considerable stress? Although there is a pill for that. Plus, I’ve not been required to whip out a rock hard marrow-like semi, at work, for quite some time - unlikely to interfere with most jobs, I’d suggest, quite unlike symptoms of feeling physically sick that you get with things like the menopause.

I'd feel pretty physically sick if I couldn't get it up!
There are also pills to aid with menopause. Its also worth noting that, as I stated earlier, not all women get the ill effects described.
We already have a system in place to deal with people not feeling well enough to work - sick pay. Why change what aint broke?

Soldato
They aren’t free to schools. Some schools will provide them to students for free, some teachers will out of their own pockets, some charities provide them.
Perhaps I misunderstood, is that Scotland alone? I thought a similar plan was implemented in England too? Or was that just hot air from HMG again?

Clearly missing the point. Both facial hair and periods are largely inevitable. How you deal with each is the variable. There are free/low cost methods for both.
I understand your point, I just don't consider dealing with facial styling and a woman dealing with a period is comparable.

Man of Honour
I'd feel pretty physically sick if I couldn't get it up!
There are also pills to aid with menopause. Its also worth noting that, as I stated earlier, not all women get the ill effects described.
We already have a system in place to deal with people not feeling well enough to work - sick pay. Why change what aint broke?
The suggested policy is just offering women flexible hours during this time period, isn’t it? Flexible hours isn’t an extension of sick pay, so I don’t really see the problem. I imagine many people wouldn’t take up the offer. It’s just there for those that are suffering.

Oh, speaking of flexible hours, I got an out of office this week that said the person worked 3 afternoons a week. I did find that a bit lol. Meanwhile, in my team, those people on 4 day weeks are, in reality, on 7 day weeks \o/

Yeah, my workplace sucks.

Caporegime
The suggested policy is just offering women flexible hours during this time period, isn’t it? Flexible hours isn’t an extension of sick pay, so I don’t really see the problem. I imagine many people wouldn’t take up the offer. It’s just there for those that are suffering.

Oh, speaking of flexible hours, I got an out of office this week that said the person worked 3 afternoons a week. I did find that a bit lol. Meanwhile, in my team, those people on 4 day weeks are, in reality, on 7 day weeks \o/

Yeah, my workplace sucks.

I agree it's not necessarily a problem but that the option should not just be confined to a specific demographic. If you are to offer a benefit it should be to all. For example, it's been shown that younger workers benefit from later starts, parents may benefit too.

Man of Honour
I agree it's not necessarily a problem but that the option should not just be confined to a specific demographic. If you are to offer a benefit it should be to all. For example, it's been shown that younger workers benefit from later starts, parents may benefit too.
Yup and I also think for professional roles then really it’s a case of being in the office or available during core hours (say 10-4) and beyond that if you do the work then meh. Just allows people to do school runs, get the boiler man in, all that crap that a strict 9-5 gets in the way of.

In reality, I can show up and leave whenever and have done for years, but I work long hours so not really something I can be called up on.

Soldato
Everyone is already entitled to flexable work hours. The company has to give a good reason NOT to grant it. They changed that ages ago.

Caporegime
Free? Not sure where I indicated that
I believe they should be free, not just to schools.

Just because you misunderstand doesn't mean something is 'guff'

By guff I'm referring to you quoting people with comments like "grasping much?" etc.. There isn't much to understand when if comes to your throw away comments, they're not particularly informative - I already understood that you appeared to think they were free, you questioned that assumption then confirmed it was the case.

You have however completely ignored the responses to that position and the question of why?

Essentially are you able to think critically for your self, read the replies to your position and answer some basic questions about it? So far you seem to have just given "NPC" (to use an internet meme) type responses whereby apparently your position is unquestionable and you'll do nothing but posture a bit and vent if anyone questions it.

Soldato
By guff I'm referring to you quoting people with comments like "grasping much?" etc.. There isn't much to understand there - I already understood that you appeared to think they were free, you questioned that assumption then confirmed it was the case.

You have however completely ignored the responses to that position and the question of why?
I apologise, i'm not entirely sure what you're failing to understand.

If you wish to ask a specific question please do, I shall attempt to respond in an easily comprehensible manner.

Perhaps they would be biased?
Perhaps they would be able to explain the experience.

Caporegime
I apologise, i'm not entirely sure what you're failing to understand.

If you wish to ask a specific question please do, I shall attempt to respond in an easily comprehensible manner.

It isn't a question of me failing to understand it is you not engaging in discussion or answering direct questions. I asked why in post #43 then asked again in this post #54 for example - you just chose to confirm that you're not ignorant of other options but ignored the other questions:

Why not explain your position - you seem to indicate that tampons should be free, it is slight diversion from the thread topic of menopausal women but apparently you think this is a particular hardship for women. My question is why should they be free? Are you ignorant of the fact they're not the only solution?

Likewise - If tampons should be free should disposable nappies be free? Razor blades? Man sized tissues? etc.. etc..

I'm just curious about why this specific product should be free and whether other products should be? In particular if yes to any of them then given there are alternative reusable products or products with a minimal disposable element in these cases then why should the disposable be free?

You seem to have answered w.r.t razor blades later in a reply to another poster though neither razor blades or tampons are essential (and humans have done without them for most of our existence) they are useful things to have or at least the use of some similar product.

Back
Top Bottom