What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Wife took her 3 year old mini cooper sd for a service at mini today. The front pads kwik fit fitted last year are incorrectly fitted, have worn to basically zero and cooked the discs :eek:

Mini couldn't change them as they haven't got any discs and don't know when they will, she had to sign a waiver to take the car.

I'll be at kwik fits door first thing limbering up. It took them 4 visits to fit them as they snapped a sensor and the replacement was the wrong one.

Idiot's
Within the 12 months period??

If so, I'd be making them redo them

Soldato
Fitted new front discs and pads.

Rears proved difficult on the fairly steep slope I have to work on.
Also the rears appear to be very tight for some reason so didn't want to get the caliper half way off and be stuck.

Associate
Wife took her 3 year old mini cooper sd for a service at mini today. The front pads kwik fit fitted last year are incorrectly fitted, have worn to basically zero and cooked the discs :eek:

Mini couldn't change them as they haven't got any discs and don't know when they will, she had to sign a waiver to take the car.

I'll be at kwik fits door first thing limbering up. It took them 4 visits to fit them as they snapped a sensor and the replacement was the wrong one.

Idiot's
how did they fit the pads incorrectly? I mean it’s not like you can fit them upside down or inside out without noticing that somethings not right. Bmw sensors should be replaced not reused most of the time they snap and If they don’t they sometimes don’t let you reset on the dash

Tea Drinker
Don
how did they fit the pads incorrectly? I mean it’s not like you can fit them upside down or inside out without noticing that somethings not right. Bmw sensors should be replaced not reused most of the time they snap and If they don’t they sometimes don’t let you reset on the dash

I did ask but it was the service drone.

Vvebj10.jpg

Associate
Yes video shows one wheel free and the other wheel completely bound up and a close up of the pads, they say the pads are the wrong way round?
Sorry I tried to find a pic of a mini but this came up https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QK_tupsxboQ.
The pad curves to match the disc if you could get the pad in with the pad curved the other way if the tabs will let you, you won’t be able to get the caliper back on as the caliper is shaped to the disc.
The other was is with the backing plate towards the disc. The mech you know if he did that as it will be like the pads have worn completely away.

Takes the urine really you need to find your self a good indi or get friendly with a decent mech

Associate
Clip from the video showing the disc burnt on the inside

gapuVAI.jpg
That looks like corrosion it’s common.
If you cooked your discs any rust on the dick will turn a reddish color, shiny bits will have heat spots depending on how hot you got it brown to blue. The Pad looks like it’s got some meat left.

I would have recommended new discs with your pads. I think bmw spec ate brake parts, you can get them from eurocarparts same part as genuine but not in the designer box which you don’t get to keep.

Edit have you get them saying the pads are in the wrong way round?
I would be asking them to show me that they are in the wrong way and then ask for a sizeable discount for misinformation and distress

Last edited:
Tea Drinker
Don
I've asked the guy I use to see if he can get the discs for next week and have a proper look when he strips them down. I've also written a strongly worded 'can I speak to the manager' email to kwik fit customer service with the service sheet and the video. Lets see how it goes :)

One side is fine, no disc replacement pads on 10mm the other side is on 3mm bound up and disc's cooked.

Let's hope they haven't knackered the calliper

Back
Top Bottom