Was I flashed?

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure you are aware enough of your surroundings to be safe on the roads.

I would be more worried about somebody focusing on the opposite side of the road instead of the road ahead.

You're two posts into the thread and still haven't added any value. My original post from today ended with a simple question. If you are unable to answer it with all your wit, I would invite you to not bother contributing at all.

Soldato
If I see a head-on flash, it has got to be for the other side of the motorway, surely?

No, since your first post and people telling you the flashes would be for the opposite carriageway, protocol has changed and it's now deemed more effective to try and catch speeders from the opposite side of the road by flashing lights in their eyes.

Soldato
Here we are again:
  • Travelling at around 90mph exactly where pictured last night
  • Single flash appears from across the road (except the flash looked more like it was coming from the mid-right of the gantry, although I am probably going crazy)
  • I had just passed the previous speed camera on my side of the road at around 73mph about 500m before

hEWl26P.png

If I see a head-on flash, it has got to be for the other side of the motorway, surely?

Now that we are here for the third time, I thought I would leave this gem in here:

I’d say you’re in the clear looking at that screenshot.

However does anyone know if the newish speed cameras which seem to plague the smart motorway bits on the M1 between South Yorkshire and Nottingham, catch you speeding if going over 70 without the speed limit signs on?

I know I’ve read in the past that they are supposed to, hence why the driving on those sections has really calmed down in recent years (the 4th lane helps). But I still see the odd car tank it past the cameras at 90mph+ without worrying about them.

Soldato

However does anyone know if the newish speed cameras which seem to plague the smart motorway bits on the M1 between South Yorkshire and Nottingham, catch you speeding if going over 70 without the speed limit signs on?

I know I’ve read in the past that they are supposed to, hence why the driving on those sections has really calmed down in recent years (the 4th lane helps). But I still see the odd car tank it past the cameras at 90mph+ without worrying about them.
I believe the ones through Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire are always on, regardless of whether the VSL is active or not.

Soldato
OP

I know somebody who got caught at 110mph just by Nottingham last month. That could be an exception but they're definitely working even if the VSL sign isn't showing, or at least that one was anyway.

Man of Honour
But I still see the odd car tank it past the cameras at 90mph+ without worrying about them.

I see that on the M25 in the variable speed sections they almost always (judging by appearance and choice of car) look like the type who are sent here for school/uni by rich foreign parents, etc. and probably don't give a ****.

Associate
what are the two yellow boxes on the rt hand side of the photo?
A HADECS-3 speed camera. You see them often in variable speed limit / smart motorway areas.

They can simultaneously monitor all lanes on their side of the road and are aware of the speed limit in effect. They are not average speed cameras and use radar for speed detection.

As mentioned that camera will only be monitoring oncoming traffic.

Caporegime
A HADECS-3 speed camera. You see them often in variable speed limit / smart motorway areas.

They can simultaneously monitor all lanes on their side of the road and are aware of the speed limit in effect. They are not average speed cameras and use radar for speed detection.

Interesting. They don’t flash though according to the link.

Associate
Interesting. They don’t flash though according to the link.
Can't see any discussion of flashing in the link I posted.

While the detection is radar based I assume they still need to flash in order to get a good photograph the offending car. Like thewanted I've also seen them flashing on the M25 and M1.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I looked forward to your update next year when someone takes a picture of your car in a car park with the flash on.

Soldato
I’ve also seen them flash, once they were going crazy near Wakefield flashing everything in sight, obviously by mistake.

Agreed I've seen them flash.

After doing a bit of M1/M25 driving recently I've come to the conclusion it is those little yellow ones on the side you want to watch. Afiak, they are rear facing and flash, and apparently can get you from some distance without the need for the lines.

The gantry cameras seem to be few and far between, although I slow a bit for those no one else seems to (that are speeding).

Associate

I'm waiting for a letter from one of these on the M6 southbound. Limit went from 60 to 40 and I went through about 52 along with most others around me, multiple flashes went off so I'll be surprised if I don't receive anything.

Seen it going off when heading back a few days later as well with the same 40 limit.
I guess the 60 to 40 must be a profitable limit change, not that it's varied to catch you out or anything.

Back
Top Bottom