Newly installed component speakers cutting out

Associate
Evening all!

I've spent my saturday installing some new RockfordFosgate P165 SI components. Everythings gone great (as far as I'm aware) I've just been out for a drive to give them a test, turned them up louder and all 4 speakers have cut out? I've also got an active subwoofer but that stays on. None of my door speakers are amped and all are ran straight off the head unit. I'm unsure what the head unit is I'm assuming it was put in in 2006 when the car was imported so might be time for an uprage anyway if necessary...

I'm going to disconnect my rear speakers tomorrow and try turning it up again to see what happens. Any advice? Thanks!

Associate
lower impedance speakers will draw more power from the amp. it will either overheat or cut as theres not enough juice to drive them.

you may need to purchase an amp to run those speakers.

Soldato
remove the speakers and make sure the spade connections arnt shorting out on the door panel. they'll work at low volume but cut out once you put more power into them. after messing with car audio since before I was driving, you soon learn how to find faults. also these speakers are 4ohm so the comment about about been lower ohm shouldn't apply here unless you have only 2 channels of output from this head unit and connected 1 set per output, that then will lower it to 2ohm per channel.

Permabanned
After spending money and time on buying and installing new speakers you really need to amp them to get any real benefit. I’ll be surprised if your hu is outputting much more than 10 watt per channel, for reference my front door components are being driven with 150 watts per channel.

Over time you’ll just damage your speakers and or hu its actually safer to feed them with more power than less.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies guys, currently looking at it. Took the rear speakers out drove a bit and it still cuts off at around volume number 11. So parked up turned the car off with just the ignition on turned it up works fine doesn't cut out at all... turned the engine on and let it idle, cuts out at the same volume pretty much instantly. How does that make sense?

I've also found out what the HU is: Pioneer SPH-DA110 says on the website 50w x 4 so should be enough to definitely go louder than it does surely?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Amplifier
  • Max Output Power / Channel Qty
    50 Watts x 4
  • Continuous Power / Channel Qty
    22 Watts x 4
Amplifier Output Details
  • Output Power / Channel
    14 Watt, 22 Watt
  • Output Impedance / Channel
    4 Ohm
  • Frequency Response
    50 - 15000 Hz
  • Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)
    1 %, 5 %
  • Channel Qty
its actually putting out 22 watts of continuous power although im not sure what the 14 watt is supposed to mean.

Associate
OP
Amplifier
  • Max Output Power / Channel Qty
    50 Watts x 4
  • Continuous Power / Channel Qty
    22 Watts x 4
Amplifier Output Details
  • Output Power / Channel
    14 Watt, 22 Watt
  • Output Impedance / Channel
    4 Ohm
  • Frequency Response
    50 - 15000 Hz
  • Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)
    1 %, 5 %
  • Channel Qty
its actually putting out 22 watts of continuous power although im not sure what the 14 watt is supposed to mean.
Okay thanks mate good to know! I'll definitely look into an amp then any recommendations?

What would explain it cutting out only when the engine is running though?

Permabanned
Okay thanks mate good to know! I'll definitely look into an amp then any recommendations?

No I wouldn't have thought so. I would defiantly be checking earth points as per a reply above.

Slide your headunit back out and check to make sure nothing is touching what it shouldn't be, i would also check that nothing on your speakers is touching something it shouldn't be.

slide the head unit out leaving it connected then try again and do the same for your speakers.

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
so it was shorting causing a problem. genesis are good but there are other amps a lot less expensive thatll give you the power you need.
Yeah I've just folded the dynamat a touch seems good so far.

Any other recommendations? No clue what I'm looking for when it comes to amplifiers as I rarely touch audio stuff. It's a whole new world to me haha!

Permabanned
Yeah I've just folded the dynamat a touch seems good so far.

Any other recommendations? No clue what I'm looking for when it comes to amplifiers as I rarely touch audio stuff. It's a whole new world to me haha!
Genesis is probably overkill any cheap Chinese import amp will do, I just prefer to buy something that is known to be good quality. Buy right buy once.

Take a gander at the talkaudio forum if you want some ideas.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
HU unable to push the speakers.
Despite some HU advertising 35, 50, 75 W RMS, unless replacing like per like stock speakers, to get the best of them, an amplifier is required.
Also note if the speakers are 2 or 4 ohm, as some systems have odd ones, like boss on my previous Mazda, which have from 1.7 to 4.2 in the same setup. The infinity on a previous Sportage was more consistent, but neither 2 or 4 ohm. Something in between.
Sometimes just upgrading with a speaker with better response will do, but after 75% of the available volume, the bass will be reduce drastically.
The cheapest solution would be if your HU have RCA output to connect to an amplifier, or if it is a stock HU, a Hi-Lo converter or for best results something from Audiocontrol LC i7 or similar. Sometimes is cheaper and less complicated just to replace the HU, as splicing cables and running such units to allow a better signal to the amplifier can be a nightmare.

Last two cars I used the Alpine PDR-V75. Usually gives more power than its rated. At 2ohm officially gives 100WRMS and Sub 350W RMS. Mine was confirmed to offer about 120 W per channel, and 420 for the sub. Quite decent amplifier, and a seller on eBay offers for about 260 pounds. Was using Hertz components front and back and needed to install few sheets of silent coat to avoid vibrating the panels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato

Well you have 14w @ 1%THD, 22w @ 5%THD. 5% is awful, so you wouldn't want to run it that hard.

Caporegime
Evening all!

I've spent my saturday installing some new RockfordFosgate P165 SI components. Everythings gone great (as far as I'm aware) I've just been out for a drive to give them a test, turned them up louder and all 4 speakers have cut out? I've also got an active subwoofer but that stays on. None of my door speakers are amped and all are ran straight off the head unit. I'm unsure what the head unit is I'm assuming it was put in in 2006 when the car was imported so might be time for an uprage anyway if necessary...

I'm going to disconnect my rear speakers tomorrow and try turning it up again to see what happens. Any advice? Thanks!
Update?

Back
Top Bottom