Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
Associate
So I did two ParkRun's much earlier in the summer in 32.40 and then 33.21 the next week (It was roasting hot!). Now the cricket season is over I've got back into it and set myself the goal of getting under 30 mins within 4 weeks.

Last week I achieved 31.11 and today 29.05 so already smashed that target. Outside of ParkRun I've been running twice a week, now going to step it up by joining a running club and by getting myself properly measured for some decent running trainers.

Is there any brands that you wise people would recommend/avoid?

Associate
A great weekend running.

Yesterday a PB at my local Swindon parkrun of 21:11 and then today ran the Swindon Half Marathon in a time of 1:36:40 which is just over 10 minutes quicker than I did last year.

Very happy ☺️

SPG

SPG

Soldato
A weekend of PBs it seems slowly getting to the 25min parkrun, new pb of 26:50 for me. Not really focusing on it as such but would love to get it down to 22mins in a sprint tri.

Associate
I finally managed a sub 90 half marathon yesterday. It was raining heavily which I felt helped keep me cool. I started fast and felt good so just kept going to see if I could make it stick. I got a time of 1:29:23. hit 5k in 20:55, 10k 41:55, and new 10 mile PB (not going to count it tho in 1:07).

I paced 25min at ParkRun on Saturday, My Parkrun time was 24:59, without any silly adjustments of speed in the last 500m!

Soldato
Despite about three runs and half marathon with no right leg issues I thought I was putting the problems behind me.

I have had 10 days off of running and just been out this morning and it strikes again a mile and half in to my run my right leg gone I had to pull up and walk to run again :(

Soldato
That must be very frustrating. Did it ease off quickly again as it previous flare ups?

It will go away at the 5 mile point but I have to stop a fair few times before then. (that would be mighty frustrating in a race having to pull up a lot with people behind)

Very frustrating I had seen a doctor and was at the stage of getting blood test for muscles and seeing neurology. I decided not to bother I thought I was passed the problems having a run half marathon with no issues and the problem had disappeared in my runs.

I mean they say that you should rest to get rid of the problems this seems to be the opposite. :/

Associate
I've had a fitbit for several years without issue but seem to have developed an allergic reaction to it, particularly around the heart rate sensor. Fitbit have given a full refund. Any recommendations for a hypoallergenic tracker? Ideally to have GPS, not fussed about heart rate stuff.

Soldato
Not sure how accurate it is but saw this on a local running clubs Facebook.

For anyone who’s in the VLM ballot, there appears to be a hack to check if you’ve been successful prior to the official date.

Not sure how accurate it is! Just go to the “Real Buzz” registration website (the one used for entering the ballot) and there might be a bib number there! Good luck, that applies to whether you want in or not

I've had a look and don't see any number on mine so don't know if it means i'm not in or if it's just a bug which was fixed.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Anyone use a running POD, was thinking of delving into the realms of ZWIFT for running and the WattsBike on a IPAD whilst in the gym.

Associate
So I did two ParkRun's much earlier in the summer in 32.40 and then 33.21 the next week (It was roasting hot!). Now the cricket season is over I've got back into it and set myself the goal of getting under 30 mins within 4 weeks.

Last week I achieved 31.11 and today 29.05 so already smashed that target. Outside of ParkRun I've been running twice a week, now going to step it up by joining a running club and by getting myself properly measured for some decent running trainers.

Is there any brands that you wise people would recommend/avoid?

Haven't joined a running club yet but with the help of some really nice Asics that unlike my old ones actually have some cushioning in them, I've just done a 27.11 time at todays Parkrun. That means I've knocked 4 minutes off in 2 weeks, so in 13 weeks time I should be able to do a 5k in just over one minute :D :p

It's amazing just how much the mind dominates the body. Ran a very quick(By my standards) first lap and struggled a bit in laps 2 & 3 as a result. With one lap to go I looked at my watch and saw that I could potentially smash my PB and suddenly I felt good as new again! :D

Soldato
Anyone use a running POD, was thinking of delving into the realms of ZWIFT for running and the WattsBike on a IPAD whilst in the gym.

I am thinking about getting one. I use Zwift on the bike at home and have a treadmill so makes sense. Even with Zwift though I think it'll still be boring!

Soldato
I managed to get out today for a run, my last run was on 2nd September. Surprisingly it was a very good run. As I haven't run in weeks, I find it strange how my performance hasn't decreased during the time I didn't run, but then once I go out again I actually perform better than I have previously done on that route.

Over the past 4 weeks I've really struggled to get out running. I've been feeling too anxious to just go out and run even when I've had it planned. It could be the time has past in which I feel comfortable going running, not wanting to pass a load of traffic on the road, fear of performance drop. It's been a struggling 4 weeks but I hope I can make this continue once again!

Soldato
Out today for a nice 9 mile run @8:52 AVG pace

Im starting to live with my right leg problem and I think it happens because I run to fast out the block so ive started slowing up for the first 2 miles.

Still running in the Nike Next% serving me well once your up to speed in them they feel really nice running seems effortless.

Back
Top Bottom