Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Soldato
Happy to also consider the Boxster - I'm after RWD, decent power, coupe/convertible.

What about older models too? I don't have to spend up to the £15k mark, but obviously getting a newer car is nice. How long has the bore scoring been an issue, and before/after the bore scoring, were the S variants generally reliable?

Thanks.

Soldato
I think the IMS was more of a concern with earlier Boxsters, but the 987 brought bore score into contention as well as the IMS. Smaller displacement engines appear to be less affected by bore score than the 3.8 L which has fared the worst. The issue with an older car is that it'll be older... but then again any of these models will have suspension and interior wear. You might get lucky and find a recently refreshed 986 Boxster I suppose.

Saying all that, I'd spend some cash on a borescope and then make sure you change the oil and don't thrash it from cold. Sell it on with a clean conscience. A 310bhp mid engined Porsche for £15k sounds like a really great proposition. These go very very well, and in the real world are every bit as fast as a 911. Keep in mind that you'll take a hit on the price if it tops 100k miles, so worth keeping in mind if it's a short term acquisition.

Similarly, it's tempting to spend half your money on something like this: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201908131093867?radius=1500&postcode=cw71pt&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&model=BOXSTER&minimum-badge-engine-size=3.0&sort=price-desc&price-to=7500&advertising-location=at_cars&make=PORSCHE&transmission=Manual&page=2

I really have a soft spot for the facelift 986 boxster.

Associate
In the market for a 991.1 Carrera or S.
Apart from the usual options that I am told to look for or think about (Chrono, Sports Exhaust & 20" wheels) What else should I be thinking about. I know there were a load of problems with the 997 generation but these 991 seem like proper sorted cars mechanically don't they?

OcUK Staff
OP
In the market for a 991.1 Carrera or S.
Apart from the usual options that I am told to look for or think about (Chrono, Sports Exhaust & 20" wheels) What else should I be thinking about. I know there were a load of problems with the 997 generation but these 991 seem like proper sorted cars mechanically don't they?

997.2 onwards were generally problem free.

Believe it or not and if money can stretch a 991.1 C4S is where money should go as the 4S was actually a better drive than 2S even though AWD simply as the 4S came later it had revised steering software for more feel etc. Otherwise a 991.1 C2 or C2S is still fantastic or maybe try to find a 997.2 GTS, again superb cars.

997.1 and earlier suffered from bore scoring, effects them all at somepoint and the earlier cars also had RMS issues, basically unless you willing to deal with engine rebuilds it is best to go 997.2 or later as per your post as they are more robust and more reliable with no major engine defects.

Associate
The 4S is just out of my range to be honest. I didn't actually know they had revised steering etc

I'm looking to spend 45-47k but want something that doesn't have black leather and would probably like to avoid white paint. I would love a sub 50K mile Carrera S in black with white\red\tan sports exhaust and Chrono.

I actually had a deposit on one but had to pull out when my X6 sale went bad so I know they are out there but I just might need to sit it out in a hire car for a few weeks to find the right car.

I did consider a 997 GTS but the 991 is slightly bigger inside which helps with getting the 2 kids seats in.

olv

olv

Soldato
The 4S is just out of my range to be honest. I didn't actually know they had revised steering etc

I'm looking to spend 45-47k but want something that doesn't have black leather and would probably like to avoid white paint. I would love a sub 50K mile Carrera S in black with white\red\tan sports exhaust and Chrono.

I actually had a deposit on one but had to pull out when my X6 sale went bad so I know they are out there but I just might need to sit it out in a hire car for a few weeks to find the right car.

I did consider a 997 GTS but the 991 is slightly bigger inside which helps with getting the 2 kids seats in.

I've been looking at 991.1s this year with a view to buying something early next. I'm not sure chrono is a deal breaker but most seem to have it. I think you want a minimum of Bose as Porsche stereos are fairly pony. Also paddle wheel may or may not be a deal breaker for you depending if you value a multifunction wheel or not, that's easy to swap over after but expensive at around £1k.

Things like cruise control and parking sensors aren't standard, so again, depending on whether you value them you may want to hold out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-...579456?hash=item4207ac6280:g:C-8AAOSwWkxdbuMw Slightly higher mileage but if you can handle the very red interior that's quite well specced but private cars seem to be hanging around for a long time for what I've noticed.

Associate
Lack of cruise would do my head in and rear sensors would also be needed.

That ebay car would be pretty close to my perfect spec but because of the way I finance my cars anything with more than 50k miles just doesn't stack up unfortunately.

OcUK Staff
OP
I've been looking at 991.1s this year with a view to buying something early next. I'm not sure chrono is a deal breaker but most seem to have it. I think you want a minimum of Bose as Porsche stereos are fairly pony. Also paddle wheel may or may not be a deal breaker for you depending if you value a multifunction wheel or not, that's easy to swap over after but expensive at around £1k.

Things like cruise control and parking sensors aren't standard, so again, depending on whether you value them you may want to hold out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-...579456?hash=item4207ac6280:g:C-8AAOSwWkxdbuMw Slightly higher mileage but if you can handle the very red interior that's quite well specced but private cars seem to be hanging around for a long time for what I've noticed.

Sports steering wheel is an absolute must for me as I tend to drive my cars always in manual mode, hence paddles absolute must, having driven 911's with the multifunction wheels with buttons I felt they made the car feel totally inert, crazy how a wheel can do that but it did, but don't let it be a deal breaker as I believe the sports wheel can be retro-fitted for £750-1k.

Soldato
l have a soft spot for the facelift 986 boxster.

This. Its where I started looking for my toy, but scope creep and a lack of discipline lead me to a 981 Cayman S :o

I love my CS and its looks (the 987 was a struggle for me), but if I already had another car, it would be an immaculate facelift 986 all day long and the change in the bank.

Soldato
This. Its where I started looking for my toy, but scope creep and a lack of discipline lead me to a 981 Cayman S :o

I love my CS and its looks (the 987 was a struggle for me), but if I already had another car, it would be an immaculate facelift 986 all day long and the change in the bank.

The 981 boxster/cayman is a seriously good looking car! They got so much right with the styling. There’s just something about the facelift 986... so cheap too! Potential for huge bills no doubt, but it seems crazy that you can get so much car for your money. They have to go up in price soon surely as more and more are simply thrown away rather than repaired.

Commissario
Lack of cruise would do my head in and rear sensors would also be needed.

That ebay car would be pretty close to my perfect spec but because of the way I finance my cars anything with more than 50k miles just doesn't stack up unfortunately.
I can put you in touch with a broker who sourced me a provider if you want? My GTS had 78k and still managed to get finance at 5.9%

Sports wheel is easy to retrofit, mine’s being done for £700.

Soldato
... Potential for huge bills no doubt, but it seems crazy that you can get so much car for your money. They have to go up in price soon surely as more and more are simply thrown away rather than repaired.

You would assume most of the serious issues have been dealt with by now, certainly for any decent car with a full SH. Being as cheap as they are now I think a good honest 986 would be worth the risk.

Sports wheel is easy to retrofit, mine’s being done for £700.

Is this for a new steering wheel, if so can I ask where you have sourced it?

I'm looking at doing this for my car, but Porsche want an awful lot for a standard sports wheel in black leather. Local dealer quoted over £1000 just for the wheel.

Soldato
Soldato
You would assume most of the serious issues have been dealt with by now, certainly for any decent car with a full SH. Being as cheap as they are now I think a good honest 986 would be worth the risk.

Definitely worth the risk if it's an enthusiast car with a good history. You do worry that there are a good few around that have been maintained on a shoestring. The large bills would come from an unexpected IMS failure... and you'd probably be better selling the car for spares and finding a new one!

It would be a pretty tough choice for me between another S2000 and a 986 S now, as the S2000 has really shot up in value and there's a lot of choice in Boxsters.

Soldato
The Taycan turbo S is about the same price as the Panamera Turno S and the base Panamera is 75k which is what made me think it would be about the same. Also I’d they really want to take on Tesla they need to be around £75k

Back
Top Bottom