Thomas Cook

Caporegime
I have been advised that companies are advised to keep trading so as not to unsettle the market but I would think that the markets would be more knowledgeable about the real estate of affairs than anyone. I find that it is immoral that they are being advised to cheat their customers by selling packages they have no hope in fulfilling.

As for planes, they were still landing well after the 2 am announcement.

That has always struck me as being super unethical, like the computer company Tiny(?) it was going under but on the day it was about to happen staff were still taking orders - when you have someone phoning up and paying a grand for a computer you know you’re not going to deliver and you know that all that money is just going to go towards paying higher priority creditors I don’t think you should be taking it. They should have been preventing orders on the site for “maintenance issues” and temporarily stopping them via the phones too.

Associate
Nice to see Richard Branson doing his bit to help by charging nearly 10 grand for the flights I paid 2.5 grand for with TC :D

That's painfull we paid just under 3k for 8 of us on virgin in August from Gatwick to Orlando international, As for greedy Branson he has nothing to do with virgin Atlantics day to day running.

Not surprised by any airline for upping the prices its last minute and they have tens of thousands of new customers who are desperate to get a flight just another loss for the customer.

My very few dealings with Thomas cook and tui have left me wondering why it took this long and how tui are still going,The agents at both are embarrassingly bad at what they do full of misinformation and I have never found them to be the cheapest for our vacations but we always check just incase.

Soldato
i've never been on holiday with thomas cook , always found them too expensive
no doubt the big shareholders are walking away with their money bags
feel sorry for the staff and travellers

Soldato
I’m in Mallorca right now, flew with Thomas Cook. Should I apply for asylum?

On the Greek news show this morning they were saying sarcastically with a lot of laughing.

Journalist 1: "if they cannot leave by the day of brexit, send them to Moria camp as they are going to be illegals" :D
Journalist 2: "they are EU citizens, worst case we have to give them asylum on hard brexit"
Journalist 1: "If we start giving asylum to Europeans also, we should rename the country to United Nations"

Ofc the above extract doesn't represent the fun and sarcasm tone after reporting the news in general for everything :D.

Associate
That has always struck me as being super unethical, like the computer company Tiny(?) it was going under but on the day it was about to happen staff were still taking orders - when you have someone phoning up and paying a grand for a computer you know you’re not going to deliver and you know that all that money is just going to go towards paying higher priority creditors I don’t think you should be taking it. They should have been preventing orders on the site for “maintenance issues” and temporarily stopping them via the phones too.

I believe they upped their prices significantly recently in order to discourage people from booking with them. I can sort of see it both ways - by stopping taking booking you are pre-empting a decision that has not yet (offically) been made, however likely the outcome of that decision may be. There really is no good way in which a company can go bankrupt, as least in the U.K.

Caporegime
I paid 2500 for flights to Orlando with TC, obviously I won't be flying anthem anymore. Virgin flights on the same day are coming out at over 9 grand. Virgin were always a bit more expensive but all of a sudden they have almost trippled in price.

This was for 4 seats.

If I were to pay Virgin the prices they are now asking I would be fully expecting fillet steak as in flight meal, cocktails on tap and blow jobs incrementally from the air hostesses throughout the flight :D

Two reasons

1. They're a more premium airline
  2. You're booking the flights at a later date

Caporegime
I disagree with both, the prices shot up yesterday after being around the same price for months, coincidence? I think not.

The site has algorithm to adjust prices depending on views for individuals (your cookies), day of the week (higher on the weekend when people look more), the rate of bookings going through, number of seats left, etc.

It's just supply and demand. Not only is not coincidental, but it is also expected. For it not change, that would be strange.

Soldato
OP
The site has algorithm to adjust prices depending on views for individuals (your cookies), day of the week (higher on the weekend when people look more), the rate of bookings going through, number of seats left, etc.

It's just supply and demand. Not only is not coincidental, but it is also expected. For it not change, that would be strange.

I agree, and am aware of this. Just do a search on Skyscanner - 20th October to 4th November flying from Manchester. Every direct flight available now is from Virgin at 9k minimum.. was nowhere near that prior to yesterday, so that tells me that they are taking advantage of people's misfortune and ramping up the prices which makes Virgin a bunch of knob heads.

Fortunately for me I see flights from London now for £1500 but they are not direct, just waiting on credit card company for refund and I could actually save some cash out of this mess.

Soldato
Thomas Cook branch in Swindon tip (sorry, town centre) firmly closed this morning with a few disgruntled presumably punters looking through the window.

Haven't used them for years (2005 last I think) when we had a fly drive to Canada. Worse than useless, couldn't even be a**ed to sort out pre selected seats on the plane.

Soldato
Sad news for all the employees losing their jobs. Not so sad for the fat cats at the top milking the business for as much as they could (bonuses etc) and for the company, as a whole, not getting with the times.

Back
Top Bottom