premium small / mid size SUV options

Soldato
Have a 2013 cx5 from new and has been pretty solid. Had some pretty poor treatment from Mazda uk along the way though regarding a recall repair which I ended up getting charged for so personally would never touch another Mazda but ymmv!

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestions, on 4x4, my new place is a bit in the sticks and wanting something that could cope with snow.

I have asked for a test drive in the Mazda CX5 and CX-30.

As pointed to above the Yeti is no longer in production and a friend has one and I'm not sure the interior quite meets what a I would like being totally honest.

I'll defo take a look at the T-roc (also heard that Skoda have their own version out soon?)

I’ve got the AWD CX-5 and it’s got me through some pretty harsh situations. It’s no defender, but can deal with the likes of frost packed tracks topped with 6-8 inches of snow on step inclines no problem.

A Sport Nav+ with the biggest engine is pretty much exactly what you’re looking for.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
SQ2 was a great drive, although a completely pointless car. Too small to be of any use really. Same goes for the X2 M35i.
T-Roc 2.0 was *****.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
T-Roc R can be had for about 33k new from the usual brokers.
Why would you want one though? The interior is hard scratchy plastics as it's an offroading monster! Shame, as it lets the car down quite badly.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Can’t remember what the inside was like on them as been ages since sat in one :)

Is also probably buy the GolfR instead and save a few k.

I echo the 4wd/awd being a hell of a lot better in adverse weather, ask anyone who has had an impreza, quattro, evo etc
The only point to make being its all very well traction and grip, but stopping isn't that much enhanced and you can be lulled into thinking there is more grip than there is by these systems.

Unfortunately I don't think this part of the consumer market really has any selectable versions.

In regards X1, my other half has one as a company car. I think its the 1.8d Sport or something (sorry not paid that much attention, but its an old burner and really quite pokey down slip roads etc, and returned around 60mpg on a trip) I have to admit after driving 1300 or so miles in it weekend before last its a really nice place to be (was up in the scottish highlands) interior is very good, handling isnt bad etc. I would never have one personally, but for mile munching its great, for very mild not quite good roads again great. But I definetly think my old scoob would have handled the iffy surfaces better until it bottomed out!

Soldato
You'll pay 10% at the pump for the awd and automatic (10%) too ...
after commenting on the new mazda engines I had looked at petrol cx-30 wltp figures (versus mazda 3 lower - I ringed the automatics impact)
... they've split out the 18" wheel impact too.

I speculate the wltp may have created more water between automatic/awd versus manual/2wd .. which is what I always expected.
48781374393_d350722249_o_d.jpg

edit
I would invest in something like a Audi avant quattro
the adaptive suspension is expensive to fix

Soldato
after commenting on the new mazda engines I had looked at petrol cx-30 wltp figures (versus mazda 3 lower - I ringed the automatics impact)

I speculate the wltp may have created more water between automatic/awd versus manual/2wd .. which is what I always expected.

edit

:eek::eek: Who mentioned adaptive?

edit

Are these WLTP indicative on other brands as well?
I thought in recent years the autos had overtaken the manuals in economy (doing things liek coasting in neutral to save fuel). BUt maybe that was pre WLTP and now the different testing is showing real world they are worse again?
Or is it a mazda thing specifically. When I was buying a couple of years ago I was surprised how mazda seemed really bad on fuel efficiency and put ot down to an old engine on the model I was considering, but maybe it was a diference in testing and that they were more accurate.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Personally I would invest in something like a Audi avant quattro, more choices of a premium model, not a van with windows...
Honestly, unless OP wants/needs a high seating position, an estate provides more luggage space and a better all-round experience tbh.

Back
Top Bottom