Have Environment Issues Caused a Change in Your Behaviour?

Soldato
We're going to have to sacrifice at some point, better to do it soon rather than when the economic drag is -3%, the average global growth has been around 3% for decades, ignoring blips.

So what you're really sacrificing in trying to be "measured" is exactly the thing you wish not to, they are becoming mutually exclusive with every moment.

Compassionate as ever, we may not be dead, but what do you think will be the policies in a world where entire regions are uninhabitable and hundreds of millions of people are at the gates of the privileged?

I don't see anyone moaning about Snoopers charter anymore, even though it's confirmed to have allowed the use of citizens data seemingly unabated with little recourse. Government has tried awfully to keep China in line... wonder why that is? Couldn't have anything to do with it's near perfect digital autocracy, administered handily by it's own people against themselves.

We may not be killed, but some people will, that could very well be you, me or literally anyone, terrorism doesn't much care for people, it cares for goals and don't fool yourself into thinking that it's anything like religious extremism, it's an entirely different ball game when the goal, rightly or wrongly, is to save humanity from itself. Keep being foolish if you wish, i wont and neither will the people at the top.

We're in the perfect storm, because people keep thinking it will be OK, well it ******* isn't, we're losing our antibiotics, water scarcity is increasing by the day, fish stocks are likely to completely disappear by 2050, the inevitable nuclear terrorist is still absent, every recession is going to create reactionaries worse than the last, the judiciaries are untrusted, the police are untrusted, the government is untrusted.

I couldn't have imagined such a future 20 years ago, but i wont lie to myself now just to be fake-happy, i'd rather be able to survive the worst, regardless of how tame it could all very well be which is obviously what i'd hope, but hope is not a survival instinct. Maybe it's all depressing, but i don't really care if it is, it's simply a matter of being ready for outcomes, even regardless of compassion, this is purely selfish.

I am not saying to "fake" happy, but there is a lot of things out side of our control. If the governments around the world don't work together we are screwed, but why sit around depressed about it now? What is it going to gain.

And how are you going to get yourself ready When or if the country start coming down around us you're not going to be much better than off than the average person.

Caporegime
I've always been conscious about creating waste etc, and conserving electricity. But the current media attention means I can also take the **** by taking pictures like this. :p

D4xniZf.jpg

Caporegime
I am not saying to "fake" happy, but there is a lot of things out side of our control. If the governments around the world don't work together we are screwed, but why sit around depressed about it now? What is it going to gain.

And how are you going to get yourself ready When or if the country start coming down around us you're not going to be much better than off than the average person.

I won't be running around like a headless chicken thinking some divine intervention will come at the last minute, so yes i'm already better off than the average person. If the last few years have taught anything, it's that there are still far too many people who trust the established order of things and that they're safe as long as they keep voting in the same old **** that keeps everything just about functional.

Once these people start feeling the effects of their naivete, they'll react in the stupidest of manners and the fact that they're in such abundance along with the unwieldy anachronism of governance, the likelihood of some collective progress seems practically non-existent. One can only hope that sensibility wins out.

Last edited:
Soldato
So go on let us know how you have planned for this? Or are you always going to be vague about it?

Maybe if you explained yourself people may listen to what you post. Expand on why people will be running around like headless chickens? Is it because they have debt to the eyes balls, don't recycle enough. Come on let us know.

Caporegime
I don't really need to explain myself (nor do i really care), as i said, i'm being selfish, doesn't mean i don't like rattling this cage though (love a good shake), as ultimately fear is the only vehicle to move this along. Potentially avoiding the need for me to do anything aggressive.

kaVxQsR.jpg

I'm merely acting in accordance with what everyone else is feeling in this country.

Soldato
It's really shocking how much complacency and doubt you come across on this subject, Johnathan Pie made the point in his video about the XR protest in Oxford Circus, that we were being taught about the deforestation of the Amazon and other environmental issues 25+ years ago but what has been done in the meantime? There's lots of stuff around CSR and the moves companies are making but it's all, virtually without exception, in order to further more economic growth. I read a book a couple of years ago called something like "How to succeed in the coming economy", it was largely forgettable but one thing I remember from there was around Ikea's commitment to using 50% less wood in their manufacturing in the next 5/10 years, they came out with this announcement and then sat back and accepted the praise, but the target was "so that they can grow their business" meaning that absolutely, they'll still be using something like 50% more wood than they are now.

What's really disappointing though is how many regular people are either defeatist about it, or just straight up deny it, still. I can't remember this many people ever being so distrustful of anything and everything, it's one thing when you have politicians of both persuasions screaming that the claims of the other will doom us all, but when it's just some scientists saying "here's the numbers" it's entirely different.

I keep thinking that if the current levels of mistrust and propagation of just lies were around in the past, we'd have never reduced smoking rates, never gotten rid of CFCs, never gotten rid of polio etc (although I know that one's different). There have to be some things which are beyond politics.

Soldato
Ikea's commitment to using 50% less wood in their manufacturing in the next 5/10 years,
I just see them pandying (add DFS, bed-in-bag folks, clothing industry, white goods) to propogating, the disposable, throw-away product transgression;
I don't want an ikea pax (honeycombed-hardboard) wardrobe every 7/8 years, rather, a solid engineered product that will last 20, through multiple moves.
(I don't use Ikea led lights .... but the lifespan of the ones I buy is laughable)

Maybe lifespan of products should be figured into the tax, added to, the environmental impact of manufacture, or, if the manufacturers started offering a 10year guarantee the market can decide.

Apple - should they be showing some leadership here, as biggest tech company ? if the battery and screen cannot easily be replaced and those will limit the useful life, even as 2nd hand products .... tax them.
....... rather than just social media driven ranting, herd mentality - Greta&Co need to do something practical

[
by taking pictures like this. :p
we're looking at the lights and/or the closed doors ie not listening ?

I'm merely acting in accordance with what everyone else is feeling in this country.
what's the chart explanation/link to explain China leading in the right direction %, I don't understand ... they removed their population brake too
]

Soldato
OP
I just see them pandying (add DFS, bed-in-bag folks, clothing industry, white goods) to propogating, the disposable, throw-away product transgression;
I don't want an ikea pax (honeycombed-hardboard) wardrobe every 7/8 years, rather, a solid engineered product that will last 20, through multiple moves.
(I don't use Ikea led lights .... but the lifespan of the ones I buy is laughable)

Agreed, and, while some modern things are indispensable, most home items (like furniture) can be found as antiques. People need to move away from the idea that antiques are dusty old brown things that only people in bow ties would want to own. There's a huge surge in industrial salvage items now being used for the home and, hopefully, this will bleed into other areas. These items were built to last for centuries by master craftsmen and they do.

Soldato
[maybe he's had an lpg conversion]

was reminded, this morning, that what the 2 girls did initiating BK removing plastic toys was something practical, versus Greta
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/burger-king-scraps-plastic-toys-16945289 ... a journey of a thousand miles ....

A self inititated extension of childrens phone renewal cycle could be such a practical step (web doesn't tell me where that's at now?);
Although phone companies, like samsung, offering trade-in on older models .. (which may be rollered into the ground ? ) - that, should be deplored, curtailing useable life
... and they are still making a profit.

Man of Honour
Yes we need to figure out batteries, but 400 miles is high, when do you do more than 200m miles in a single day? Very rarely for me, so I'd just do my daily mileage and then plug in at home/work. The most I've ever done in a day is 720 miles, if I was driving a model 3 (the car I'm currently thinking of getting unless something better value appears when my lease comes up), then I'd need 2-3 rapid (30m) charges to charge it enough to last the distance, and I stopped about that many times near charging points on that journey as it was just to dose up on caffeine. The cost is a little high at the moment, but that should drop soon and I see many people switching over.

Problem is mindset in that situation - people will be considering that 400+ miles means they won't have to trouble themselves about filling up too often (mentality they've grown up with) and the limited amount they have in reserve if they can't easily find a charging point, etc. - until the infrastructure is there and charging overnight, etc. is a fire and forget thing people will see anything less than about 400 miles as lacking.

Soldato
It's my car and it hasn't. Never mind. :p

I've always wanted to own a lazy v8 for a bit and starting to think I should get a move on. Not just because of government tax policies but also public opinion is rapidly changing so you might come back to find "planet killer" scratched in to the paintwork despite the fact it would be recycled (second hand) and will do hardly any miles.

Soldato
If these environmentalists were serious they would be calling out countries like China and India that are far worse than us. But no, they choose the reactionary path and moan to our governments in a negative way thinking that will cause people to take action. I was watching 2 young activists yesterday on different platforms screaming at people. Yes that will change their minds :rolleyes:

Soldato
If these environmentalists were serious they would be calling out countries like China and India that are far worse than us. But no, they choose the reactionary path and moan to our governments in a negative way thinking that will cause people to take action. I was watching 2 young activists yesterday on different platforms screaming at people. Yes that will change their minds :rolleyes:

FYI per capita they're not that bad (China just worse than the UK). https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/science-and-impacts/science/each-countrys-share-of-co2.html

Also, China and India are both getting their act together big time in the renewables sectors.

It is up to our governments, and democracy as a whole to lead the way. Do things right and others will follow. I'm glad people are making a lot of noise about it.

Soldato
It is up to our governments, and democracy as a whole to lead the way. Do things right and others will follow. I'm glad people are making a lot of noise about it.

Screaming at people isn't going to change their minds.

The only way things will change is if people engage in the political process, which I suspect will mean either forming a new political party or co-opting an existing one.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Public transport will not help me take all my camping equipment/push bike to the middle of the lake district for a weekend of camping all back to work on Monday, so until one of these bright spark environmentalists give me a solution for that they can get stuffed. Mass public transport is fine for the city folk, but everyone else is going to be priced out owning any-form of transport.

I do not see them targeting global shipping magnets which churn out epic amounts of NOX unregulated. Wasnt it one ship from China to the UK emits more NOX than the

Soldato
to the middle of the lake district for a weekend
I suppose it's off-peak now, but doesn't the traffic take the edge off ?
I think, like they're saying proposing for interrnational air travel, a number of free passes per year, but then a higher taxation, or, like the london congestion charge, with a locals discount.

- yes watched the Greta warm up act, and was just screaming ..I think she's being patronized, but merkel/macron/karnie were better (no Boris ?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fvvb1MQTSQ

Soldato
Definitely having more of an effect on me. I’ve done a few things, I’m finding it difficult as I know impact is small but if more people make small changes we’ll be in a better place.

- Carbon offsetting with offset.earth
- Only eating meat 3 times a week. Also for health benefits (See Valter Longo longevity diet if interested)
- Consciously trying to avoid single-use wherever possible (soap instead of liquid soap, re-usable coffee cups, etc.)
- Taking train and holidaying closer to home where possible.
- Considering power usage of things I buy, this has also had nice effect of dropping bill, couldn’t believe how much energy/money non-LED bulbs were using.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom