Epic Games Store now open!

Caporegime
OP
Hopefully this means they’ll finish with some nice titles. There’s only about 8 weeks left unless they decide to keep it going for more than the 52 weeks they originally said.

Soldato
Got my Shenmue 3 refund notice through today and changed the backer survey answers to go for that.
I've not tried EGS in some time, but I'd not heard of them making any more changes for China region so it's a pretty useless launcher for me.
Steam is infinitely superior here, even with the community sites blocked.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
This has nothing to do with that, Epic makes its billions via Fortnite kids and Unreal licensing

I was joking.

I’ve only bought BL3 from the Epic store, although I do own Metro Exodus on there too. Yet I have about 30 games now, all but 2 have been freebies.

Man of Honour
Wonder what they will be announcing at the GDC in March, the optimist in me thinks its something they want to keep hush hush until then and not have any other launcher systems copy it

Caporegime
Epic paid £8.3 million for Control exclusivity.

You can't really blame publishers and developers when those sort of numbers are involved. That's an immediate payment as well, nothing to do with sales figures

Associate
Epic paid £8.3 million for Control exclusivity.

You can't really blame publishers and developers when those sort of numbers are involved. That's an immediate payment as well, nothing to do with sales figures
They paid just over £2 million for phoenix point. The devs said at the time that if every single fig investor asked for a refund and they sold no more copies they would now still be in proffit.

Soldato
They paid just over £2 million for phoenix point. The devs said at the time that if every single fig investor asked for a refund and they sold no more copies they would now still be in proffit.

Or to put it another way - "it literally doesn't matter the quality of the product or whether our customers are happy at this point!!!"

Soldato
Nope, that isn't what they said.

It is if you think about it.

Investors and customers may have certain expectations, and without the EPIC money they would be under pressure to meet those expectations. Note how dev's who sell out to epic often say "we now have the freedom", that is one of the reasons.

The game released could be junk, or maybe not junk but sell next to nothing, they wont care as they have been paid already.

Man of Honour
I suppose there is still an element of that old saying though...that you are only as good as your last book/movie/game/tv show. If the game in question is utter dross then although they might have been paid for that one they are less likely to be hired to do another title. So there is still an element of professional pride in not making a game be junk I should think. I've heard very positive feedback about Phoenix Point so it doesnt strike me as a certainty that they've taken the money and run leaving the game to be crap.

Soldato
Nope, that isn't what they said.

Well of course not... in fact it may not even be something they have thought about or are directly aware of, but having all of the pressure taken off does still create that effect... the same would be true of any sort of commissioned work; why do you wait until a builder you've hired has finished the extension on your house before you pay him all the cash upfront?

I suppose there is still an element of that old saying though...that you are only as good as your last book/movie/game/tv show. If the game in question is utter dross then although they might have been paid for that one they are less likely to be hired to do another title. So there is still an element of professional pride in not making a game be junk I should think. I've heard very positive feedback about Phoenix Point so it doesnt strike me as a certainty that they've taken the money and run leaving the game to be crap.

Indeed - this comes down to short-term vs. long-term - if you do get complacent with Epic's bribes "safety net" and produce something rubbish (or if being on EGS causes other problems for your customers) then you'll be financially okay for now but may be facing more serious affects on your reputation (see Borderlands 3, time will tell with that one but so far it looks like a little bit of a rocky launch)...

Phoenix Point I'm sure will be fine because it seems like it was always a passion project in the first place... if one did want to be cynical about it I would just worry that taking the cash in this case could speak to a bit of a lack of confidence in their product (but it could equally just be a "why not?" type of situation)

Soldato
It is if you think about it.

I did think about it, and it isn't. If you choose to read into that way that's on you, but nothing immediately suggests that they're inclined to deliver a poorer product just because they've already been paid.

It could equally be interpreted that with money ahead of time to pay bills and salaries they can continue working on the game for longer rather than having to get it out the door and on sale, which certainly is a situation we see in the industry time and time again from indies and established studios alike.

Soldato

Of course, your point is fair and I accept it, its a wait and see on the game but I wont be buying it because its on epic store but like you said the game might turn out to be good anyway.

Associate
Epic, Steam, Origin, Uplay, Gog - We have 5 brilliant platforms for the best way to game (PC) in my opinion. Epic giving away free games to bring customers over to their platform is a very good way to do business, I don't really understand why some people squabble over Epic, Origin and Uplay. Each of these platforms offers different and some very good individual titles. I am very excited about the future for PC gaming. I doubt any of the platforms will ever catch up to Steam, they are just so far ahead it's hardly ever going to be possible. I love Steam, I love the other platforms for different reasons though. I understand why some people feel Epic have done things the wrong way, but as long as games are available and we have all these options just enjoy it. Rant over haha. Back to gaming!

Soldato
I don't find anything particularly special about any of the available launchers, all designed to sell you a game with maximum profits to the publisher, platform holder, Steam however has always been the better out of the lot for usable features for someone, the others - meh.

Steam has long attempted to be the one go to launcher, it nearly succeeded, however EA were the sign of things to come, now we have loads and the whole PC gaming space is once again a totally fragmented mess - this time with various different launchers, back in the early 90s, it was a mess due to different GPU and APIs such as glide, Direct x, competing sound API with EAX and open AL, how we are working with mostly one common set of gaming API's - Direct X which is used for just about every single windows game, with the odd vulkan game, the PC was looking more unformed towards the back end of 2011, however EA kicked it off , and we've seen a huge increase in competing launchers, with all publishers big enough keen to provide their own games on their own launcher to maximise profits.

Its just how PC gaming is, we got to a decent level of hardware and OS compatibility -you'd be hard pushed to find a game today released since 2004 onwards I'd say that wont run on just about every single PC variant provided you've got Windows and Direct X installed, your hardware will work, and run the game, however since 2012 you'd be hard pushed to find all your games on one single platform.

Valve nearly did it - from around 2006 - 2012 Steam was the only place to really consider buying your games, MS dipped their toes into the water with MS live, utter disaster, but EA succeeded with Origin, and it opened the doors, and Valve has ever since been losing its stronghold, its just how it is

MS, EA , Epic, Valve , GOG all the others, just have to install the applications and use them to play your games, GOG has made it easier with Galaxy 2.0

Man of Honour
Epic, Steam, Origin, Uplay, Gog - We have 5 brilliant platforms for the best way to game (PC) in my opinion. Epic giving away free games to bring customers over to their platform is a very good way to do business, I don't really understand why some people squabble over Epic, Origin and Uplay. Each of these platforms offers different and some very good individual titles. I am very excited about the future for PC gaming. I doubt any of the platforms will ever catch up to Steam, they are just so far ahead it's hardly ever going to be possible. I love Steam, I love the other platforms for different reasons though. I understand why some people feel Epic have done things the wrong way, but as long as games are available and we have all these options just enjoy it. Rant over haha. Back to gaming!

I'd like Steam a lot more if they got rid of all the ridiculous "indie" titles. You know the ones...stuff like..

https://store.steampowered.com/app/395910/Get_Rich_or_Die_Gaming/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/860190/Vietcong/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/773640/Colony_On_Mars/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/891620/Berry_couple/

Yes you can , to a degree, filter these things out but there are just thousands of them. Far too many. There needs to be some degree of quality control to what goes on there, cant just shove any old crap on it.

MS, EA , Epic, Valve , GOG all the others, just have to install the applications and use them to play your games, GOG has made it easier with Galaxy 2.0

Wish my beta for Galaxy 2.0 would come through !

Back
Top Bottom