Hosting in 2019?

Soldato
Anyone tried any freeware CPanel alternatives ? Any good ?

I'd honestly say you'd be better off learning the Linux command line rather than relying on things like cPanel. It'll make things a lot quicker in the long run. cPanel results in significant system overhead that can be avoided by using the command line over SSH.

Man of Honour
I'd honestly say you'd be better off learning the Linux command line rather than relying on things like cPanel. It'll make things a lot quicker in the long run. cPanel results in significant system overhead that can be avoided by using the command line over SSH.

cPanel has extensive integration into various software products - configuring stuff beyond direct input from the Linux command line - handles a fair bit of database setup, etc. for some types of content hosting it is far more efficient to just use cPanel.

That said I'd rather build my own custom setup around Webmin given the time.

You do get what you pay for with cPanel, it's just.....it will now cost potentially several times what it used to :eek:

Problem is the changes seem to have had a rather uneven impact - some people seeing just a few $/$ increase while others are seeing bills increase from 100s to well into the 1000s - which as many of them are more casual/semi-professional rather than enterprise it is just too much.

EDIT: Seems they are going to have another look at the pricing model.

Soldato
I was one of Vidahost's early customers, in the days you could submit a ticket and either Dom or Seb (@Beansprout Would I be right in guessing you're one of them or Darren) would responde really quickly and really help out and I enjoyed the support and service - Wasn't too phased when they merged with TSO as they honoured my current reseller pricing, albeit they stopped me using and abusing the JUSTASK discount code on renewals hehe. I do like TSO's live chat for quick responses, but this seems to be the norm these days.

I aren't a fan of their front line support, you never get an english person, typically polish/russian based on the names which isnt a problem usually if the support is good, however as someone in the thread earlier said they simply never read the full ticket or understand what you're asking, and treat you like an idiot.

Currently I have a reseller account with around 20 accounts which started off with friends and family's websites and has grown over the years with my involvement with the NHS, but I host one of the UK's largest Ducati motorcycle parts Magento instance. Unfortunately, alongside another 2 Magento instances, they're all on Magento 1 and I am planning on shifting them over to Magento 2 as a matter of urgency. However, TSO instantly suspend any cPanel account that has a fresh install of Magento2 via Softalicous on the basis it uses too many resources and its impacting server performance. Their response, they arent supporting Magento2 on shared/reseller platforms and force you to spend a lot more money on a dedicated VPS etc. However, that doesnt help the likes of myself who just want to stand up a Magento2 instance to test a quick migration or test a theme/template or module/add-on etc. In addition, if you provide incorrect IMAP credentials 5 times in the space of a few minutes, which typically iPhones love doing, that IP is instantly now black-listed and loses access to the entire domain, not just mail.domain.com - you then have to get on to support to remove the block. Way OTT given the default sync times of modern devices and mobile phones etc.

So, my renewal with TSO is up in April, but I have more than happy to shift it sooner given the recent downtime and the lack of support for Magento 2 support without spending additional £100's.

Naturally, I looked at Krystal and their entry level reseller account looks good and I submitted a ticket to ask about migrations given TSO wouldnt give me root access on WHM to use the migration tool, apparently I'm not trusted enough despite being a Vida/TSO reseller since day 1, but whatever lol ... responses from Krystal are quick and efficient and more importantly an English techie who knows their stuff.

However, I wonder if it's now worth considering Stablepoint - Reseller pricing is a tad cheaper than Krystal which is good.

@Beansprout Are you able to comment on Stable's stance in terms of having Magento2 on a cPanel account under a reseller account, considering they're quite small in the grand scheme of things. I assume they wont be instant suspended on default installs like TSO do ... Initial discount codes available at all? Sorry, being cheeky again :D

Looking forward to hearing from you

P.S Sorry to hear about Xerxes

Last edited:
Soldato
That's similar to what I had to go through, but I hosted all the sites individually rather than having a reseller account. All my Magento 1 builds are still on my TSO account and my Magento 2 installations (4 shops but not heavily used) which I rebuilt from scratch all run from a sapphire package. The only issue I've had with Krystal is they don't monitor the loads on the shared sql server and I've had to raise a ticket a couple of times after my sites had slowdowns due to someone else's sites taking the resources.

I don't think the ram allocation on the reseller packages would be enough to install Magento 2, or stable enough to maintain it if you have a spike in traffic. With 500 visitors a day our ram usage fluctuates between 180mb and 400mb on what are fairly basic Magento 2 shops so I'd stick with the 1-2gb it recommends it needs.

Man of Honour
OP
P.S Sorry to hear about Xerxes

He was such a good doggy right to the end.

Can’t really say much in public about certain other companies but I don’t see any issue running Magento of any kind. We’ve got PHP opcache available as standard which helps.

Migrations are also easy with just your WHM details.

Jump on the chat or drop the guys an email, I’m away a few days but they’ll help :)

Associate
Just to add to my comments, have now moved over from TSO to Stablepoint and the service received today via chat has been nothing short of fantastic. Very highly recommended.

Once again looking around for new host. Stablepoint doing a good imitation of TSOHost at the moment. Server offline, no idea how long for, no backup or roll over to a different server. So websites and emails offline with no ide when they will be back.

Associate
Live chat, one of the DigitalOcean London servers is off, has been since this morning. Apparently they have no idea when it will be back, they don't rollover or have any contingency plans so server off then all customers on that server off. Seems a poor setup to me.

Live chat and support ticket attitude was a total lack of concern or care, totally the opposite of how Dom was when I moved over.

Have to say I find it totally surprising. Its just a normal shared hosting. Now heading home and to a complaining family.

Associate
Ah ok - doesn't sound great.

Happy to host you on one of my servers if you're desperate and have a copy of the website files - wouldn't take long to upload, recreate mailboxes, and update the name servers.

Thanks for the very generous offer, however I have just been advised by them that the server is back and a further communication will arrive in due course.

Whilst I never have a major problem with a server going offline etc as I appreciate these things happening but the fact that the support agent I spoke with was giving out the impression of "computer says no" response is what has annoyed me the most to be honest. I don't think it is unreasonable to be given information such as: "it happened at x, the problem as we know it is x, further update in x, we are looking into doing x". Instead I got, "don't know when it went offline, don't know why its offline, don't know when it will be back, we have no contingency" which left me as much in the dark as I was before I contacted support.

Man of Honour
OP
Hey....I intended this to be a quick post because info is in the RFO arriving shortly, but I took a bit more time to write something here too seeing as writing techy hosting stuff is how I got my MoH status. It's just better when it's not about my own company's situation, but either way....

One certain company recently told me that downtime reports were false positives caused by lost wifi packets, even after I'd escalated the request. So, yeah.....I understand any lack of trust in what a hosting company says....

Live chat, one of the DigitalOcean London servers is off, has been since this morning. Apparently they have no idea when it will be back, they don't rollover or have any contingency plans so server off then all customers on that server off. Seems a poor setup to me.

Live chat and support ticket attitude was a total lack of concern or care, totally the opposite of how Dom was when I moved over.

I've read your live chat and I think Nick was polite and apologetic? I think it's a bit unfair to paraphrase/assume things that simply weren't said.....I know it's obviously frustrating when something is offline, especially if (hypothetically speaking...) you have also dealt with a company who may as well let Trump run their communications.

Maybe we just need to update the status page to reassure that we have standby plans, but that actually implementing them is a pending decision. But that causes more questions and hence workload so has its own issues.

- One thing to slightly clear up now there's more time, you asked if emails would be 'rejected'...technically no, they'll be queued (and resent by now) by the sending mailserver, ie you won't lose any messages, but they wouldn't arrive until after the system was back. So Nick was right to mean they wouldn't be working until the system was fixed. If that makes sense.

- You didn't actually ask about backups but I see what you are getting at. 95% of the time, live migration tech with DO and GCP avoids lengthy problems because maintenance can be more or less transparent. But this was an obscure network card problem which in turn caused other issues - making any quick fix tricky.

As for what happened...we had one server offline from 12:51 to 3:51 because of a hardware failure, subsequent replacement and filesystem check. We store several copies, including twice-daily offsite backups, of all data, but need a host cPanel server to be live and kicking too.

Restoring from scratch is possible but a last resort because it still incurs some data loss on systems which are being actively used, even when most of the user-facing data is stored centrally.

I have a direct line to senior teams at DO but until the engineer physically looking at the box had the answer and has fully fixed/replaced it, there is not much else we can immediately decide.

I'll always follow the route of least data loss with quickest fix time. I was about to begin a restore process in parallel but fortunately we got a resolution.

The last time I recommended a globally loadbalanced, industry-leading, ultra-reliable mail service (Gmail) to a client, Google had a meltdown the next day!

@visibleman yes we can quickly spin up new instances, and generally run small instances to contain any disruption to small sets of people.

Hope that helps explain things and sorry to anyone else affected too :)

Associate
Strangely back in Jan I wasn't doing hosting nor did I really intend to, but over the past few months we've all been almost inundated with hosting requests from old friends/customers, and my work at Fixed.net showed me the kind of issues that people were dealing with.

One client was really stuck because their host suspended their site, simply stating "we found malware, but we don't have tools to tell you what it is, you need to go to Sucuri". Madness! (Site wasn't actually hacked, it was all a giant mixup...)

At the same time I was talking to another old friend, an ex-Krystal.co.uk techie who setup his own thing and needed some help.

So, Stablepoint.com has been born :)

I've never been one to bend forum rules too much though so I guess I'll leave it at that!

Dragging up an old post here but,

Friend had an issue with Krystal around this time last year. Had the Ruby package with around 5/6 sites on, which in theory isn't the best i know (We eventually moved to Reseller)

All sites had been compromised and had the classic hit the URL and redirect to some SPAM domain.

Krystal couldn't tell us how this happened, or which site was compromised first? The emails the system sent were basically flagging it as 'Malware'

They kept suspending the hosting as we were trying to restore/sort the issue out (Granted this is probably an automated thing). To make matters worse, Backups weren't fully working properly, we had to manually restore the sites, rather than have them automatically restore. (Issues with Jetbackup)

When we eventually moved over to the Reseller, we were told they'd handle everything, tidy up the leftovers from the previous package etc. The swap went fine, however, they never cleaned up the old hosting package and this was sucking up space on the Reseller. If we hadn't stumbled across the fact it hadn't been done, we'd have never of known. They explained we had been misinformed and it was our job to remove the old leftover files.

Other than that, they've been fine. Personally, never had an issue with them in the two and a half years i've been with them, but, then i only really have two small WP Sites with them.

Man of Honour
OP
All sites had been compromised and had the classic hit the URL and redirect to some SPAM domain.
There's been a few Wordpress plugin vulnerabilities recently doing this, and also old versions of adminer.php being exploited by the same group.

Running a reseller is definitely better because on any decent cPanel provider, each account is completely isolated so you don't get the issue of having an issue with 1 site affect all your addon domains.

Figuring out what site was a cause is tricky unless you have all your logs kept and want to trawl through them. Best thing to do is keep everything patched, install Wordfence or similar, and run each Wordpress site on its own account.

I use Imunify360 which has a good mod_security ruleset so helps, but I wouldn't quite call it foolproof at stopping all injections, it is very good at finding hacked files though and saves paying someone like Sitelock or Sucuri.

Associate
There's been a few Wordpress plugin vulnerabilities recently doing this, and also old versions of adminer.php being exploited by the same group.

Running a reseller is definitely better because on any decent cPanel provider, each account is completely isolated so you don't get the issue of having an issue with 1 site affect all your addon domains.

Figuring out what site was a cause is tricky unless you have all your logs kept and want to trawl through them. Best thing to do is keep everything patched, install Wordfence or similar, and run each Wordpress site on its own account.

I use Imunify360 which has a good mod_security ruleset so helps, but I wouldn't quite call it foolproof at stopping all injections, it is very good at finding hacked files though and saves paying someone like Sitelock or Sucuri.

In all fairness, it's something we knew we needed to do (Move to a reseller) but kept putting it off because everything was working fine. It wasn't until we had that issue that we finally decided to crack on with it.

I may look at Stablepoint myself, only just had my renewal through from Krystal though, so it'd seem a waste to move now.

Associate
Grabbed myself the .UK variant of my website domain and got a test site up and running on Stablepoint.

• Loving the uptime monitor and the fact I can create a link for that.
  • TTFB seems a bit better than Krystal
  • Overall performance seems a little better
  • WP Fastest Cache seems to be the most effective cache plugin for me on the setup
Will continue to play and see how it goes over the year. I may look at switching from Krystal.

Great work everyone :)

Back
Top Bottom