* * * The official iPadOS thread * * *

Soldato
I couldn't see a thread for this, so wanted to get one kicked off now that iPadOS is an OS in it's own right and no longer just an extension of iOS.

A few initial details here: https://www.macworld.com/article/3400856/ipados-helps-make-ipad-a-laptop-replacement.html

I'm not sure if I've bought into the hype, but being able to plug in, access and use other devices along with a more certain step towards a file system are game changers for me, so much so that I recently sold my MacBook Pro. The power in the iPad Pros feels comparable, and it just needs iPadOS to catch up.

Anyone running the beta?

Soldato
I've been running the beta since it was announced. A lot of nice changes. Sadly because I've been using it since June I can't really remember how iOS 12 was prior so the changes don't stick out as much to me.

Issue is I only have a 10.5" Pro without USB C so can't test those bits out

Soldato
Downloading it now on my 11" pro

And it’s done. Dark mode seems nice and it’s good to have a lot more icon space on each screen.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
And this is what I was waiting for. iPad powering two USB hard drives at once - able to easily transfer files across all of them.

VFNhOHq.jpg

My main use for my MacBook was some editing on the move and storage of photos and videos, with space at a real premium being normally on a motorbike for a few days. Effectively running as a storage hub, offering editing too if needed and being able to transfer files back to memory cards (for navigation etc) means that the MacBook is no longer required :)

Soldato
Ah I didn't hear that they had brought the release forward - probably the best tech news of the week for me, I refuse to use BETAs so I have been eagerly anticipating this one for months now.

Soldato
Updated this morning, I like how the apps are closer together meaning more on one page.

I have pinned the favourite today widgets on the left such as weather, up next, but I think I like that better out of view and just swipe when I need to look at it.

Back
Top Bottom