Docker - training

Soldato
Hi all,

We've implemented Docker at work, yet it seems no one has a ******* clue how it actually works and I'm waiting to start a massive backfill of data due to another mess up during an update. Second for me and about 10th in the few months we've had it.

One person implemented it but doesn't fully understand it, others are supporting it but can't even figure out how to restart it when needed.

Anyone any suggestions for in-depth training from beginner to advanced so that although it's not my problem I can get a good understanding of troubleshooting it? I'm just fed up of having to pick the pieces up from other people's failures.

Associate
Perhaps someone should've deployed it in Red Hat before adopting it on work projects :D

I defiantly suggest the docker docs linked above and just let it be trial and error.

We always had certified training for products like Red hat at work but I forget half the stuff the next day anyways so I just do the good old trial and error.

Associate
You definately need at least one expert to teach the rest of the team and share knowledge.

Sounds like a typical flawed business decision to implement a new system, and try to save money by using existing staff, resulting in a very high increase in "hidden" costs not recognised by the business.

Soldato
OP
You definately need at least one expert to teach the rest of the team and share knowledge.

Sounds like a typical flawed business decision to implement a new system, and try to save money by using existing staff, resulting in a very high increase in "hidden" costs not recognised by the business.

I think it's more of a case of "I know what'll look good on my CV, let me just sell this to the bosses..."

It's a great company to work for but it does have some serious issues as well.

Associate
I think it's more of a case of "I know what'll look good on my CV, let me just sell this to the bosses..."

It's a great company to work for but it does have some serious issues as well.

I see! Docker has been appearing a lot in the job market, so done properly will be good for a cv.

I think most companies have serious issues, more visable as you work your way up the ladder. Too much IT change in short space of time, people talk the talk, and then months down the line, crash

Soldato
I've been doing some work for a company who are heavily into new technologies like kubernetes and terraform and public clouds ... the annoying thing is that they employed me specifically as I had used those technologies previously ... but will they let me have any involvement with them ... erm no, instead stuck doing stuff someone on a 3rd of my salary could do ...

... lets just say I don't see myself staying here very long at this rate ...

Associate
I've been doing some work for a company who are heavily into new technologies like kubernetes and terraform and public clouds ... the annoying thing is that they employed me specifically as I had used those technologies previously ... but will they let me have any involvement with them ... erm no, instead stuck doing stuff someone on a 3rd of my salary could do ...

... lets just say I don't see myself staying here very long at this rate ...
Take their money, take it easy (mentally), do just enough, and meanwhile get a new skill or certificate to add/semi-fake on your cv

Back
Top Bottom