AsRock A300 Deskmini

Soldato
LOL , after i posted i thought i was a little vague and knew someone would mention the addon. :)

Problem is the addon is USB 2.0 only and it ruins the neat compact look by having ugly leads or dongles hanging out the side instead of the back and if you add a USB hub to the USB 3.0 socket you then again ruin the compact tidiness with more clutter and cables.

Soldato
LOL , after i posted i thought i was a little vague and knew someone would mention the addon. :)

Problem is the addon is USB 2.0 only and it ruins the neat compact look by having ugly leads or dongles hanging out the side instead of the back and if you add a USB hub to the USB 3.0 socket you then again ruin the compact tidiness with more clutter and cables.

I guess it depends where you position your case. USB 2 is more than adequate for most things.

Associate
I'm just about to buy 2 of these to replace a noisy homelab. For years I've ran enterprise kit at home and suffered with the noise and power. With the advance of tech thankfully now the SFF is a viable alternative.

I will be building a pair based on 3400G, 64GB RAM and an M2. They will run vSphere ESXi and be used for my lab work. Probably do an NFS connection back to my NAS for anything sizeable.

bol

bol

Associate
Thanks @Vince and @HeX and @an0nym0us for your content. I just wish that I had seen this thread a week or two earlier as it now looks like the Silverstone Raven that I have just received is huge in comparison to these little monsters. They will be great with the next gen AMD APU's. Perhaps in 18 months I will reclaim the wife's new build that I will be doing this weekend (3600, 8 pack 16gb edition 3200, B450 gigabyte ITX, corsair M510 1.9TB nvme etc) and give her one of these small jobs with a Ryzen 4400G.

Hi, did you have any problems with this build at all?

Soldato
I'm just about to buy 2 of these to replace a noisy homelab. For years I've ran enterprise kit at home and suffered with the noise and power. With the advance of tech thankfully now the SFF is a viable alternative.

I will be building a pair based on 3400G, 64GB RAM and an M2. They will run vSphere ESXi and be used for my lab work. Probably do an NFS connection back to my NAS for anything sizeable.

Be nice if you did a build log on here with some pics.

Associate
Which 2x32GB SODIMM RAM will you be going for?

2 X M471A4G43MB1-CTD

They are 32GB Samsung SODIMM's, on the rainforest. Confirmed working at 64GB under ESXi (there's a thread of r/homelab or /r/ESXi can't remember). Also confirmed working is an external USB Network adapter using the drivers from the USB fling. So I will now be able to separate my VM/Mgmt traffic from my data/NFS traffic.

Associate
2 X M471A4G43MB1-CTD

They are 32GB Samsung SODIMM's, on the rainforest. Confirmed working at 64GB under ESXi (there's a thread of r/homelab or /r/ESXi can't remember). Also confirmed working is an external USB Network adapter using the drivers from the USB fling. So I will now be able to separate my VM/Mgmt traffic from my data/NFS traffic.
Nice. Thanks for the info. Sounds like you'll be running quite a few concurrent VMs!

Associate
Nice. Thanks for the info. Sounds like you'll be running quite a few concurrent VMs!

Yep. I work heavily in the DevOps area (hence my username) and have to design / administer large container platforms. A pair of these is ideal and I won't have to run it off Pi clusters anymore (there's certain limitations).

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Would love the above question answered, last time I had a intel core i5 intel nuc I only needed to use it for a few days before having the need to go back to a proper full performance full size desktop pc with full sized cpu.

But yes a total different comparison here with A300 using full size cpu, I think SFF and less heat, noise is the future but its a big shame the Ryzen latest series does not have a inbuilt gpu and I will always be somewhat left wondering if performance is as good as the full size or mini itx motherboard.

But I do like Asrock for A300, not many others really pushing small systems forward on AMD front.

Associate
Would love the above question answered, last time I had a intel core i5 intel nuc I only needed to use it for a few days before having the need to go back to a proper full performance full size desktop pc with full sized cpu.

But yes a total different comparison here with A300 using full size cpu, I think SFF and less heat, noise is the future but its a big shame the Ryzen latest series does not have a inbuilt gpu and I will always be somewhat left wondering if performance is as good as the full size or mini itx motherboard.

But I do like Asrock for A300, not many others really pushing small systems forward on AMD front.
True, I got a 3600 for a SFF due to powerful with lowest heat. Had to get a silverstone raven case but would like something smaller for AMD.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
True, I got a 3600 for a SFF due to powerful with lowest heat. Had to get a silverstone raven case but would like something smaller for AMD.

Id guess that is AMDS next move, cpus with integrated graphics making it really on par with intels overall offerings. But one area I think intels onboard gpus struggle is dual 4K output both at 60hertz, hopefully AMD fix that. Hopefully Asrock guys are working on the A400 or next one already.

With external headphone amp/dacs and creative external soundcards and NAS or Orico 5 bay cheap storage bays you could keep hdd storage and sound external and a very low powered mini PC with the performance of a full PC set up just switched on 24/7 with low heat and lowest noise.

I have been waiting for that set up for 20+ years, one day I hope its a reality !

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Decent review here, goes indepth. I do like how it can do dual 4K 60hertz output something older intel mini systems struggle with I believe.

Also 65+watts showing at wall plug with the gpu being used its not bad but seems asrock not got the 4K hardware driver issues sorted, or maybe they have by now?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1425...-review-an-affordable-diy-amd-ryzen-minipc/10

Given high end desktop pcs hit 90-100watts and offer better gpus with no 4k hardware issues and more powerful cpus like 3700x, desktop pcs still the better option overall.

Think ill wait for Asrock Axxx and next gen amd apus, but its a good first start for the A300.

Back
Top Bottom