*** 4K Player Thread ***

Soldato
Currently a big sale of 4K HDR / DV titles on the apple 4K tv for anyone that has one.. Most are £2.99 have never seen them this low before on price.

Also picked up Mission Impossible Fallout for £7.99 on this week only deal.

Soldato
Vincent complimentary article on ub9000 & family

Why Panasonic UB9000's HDR Optimiser is Such A Killer Feature

confusingly :
he demos it on an e6 oled, but also says it will benfit most lower end hdr tv's
also does not say if the dynamic hdr on the oled is a good alternative, but disables it during test
why is there no calibration feature on the e6/others to allow you to adjust hdr tone mapping (lifespan issue ?)
will this functionality improve apps like netflix, on board, on ub9000

Soldato
OP
Ok... so it’s now been about 3.5 years since 4k blu ray came out. What’s people’s opinions on its success?

Since I bought my original ub900 I’ve gone to the ub820 , but I also use my Apple 4k tv box more times. Does the format have a future ?

Caporegime
Ok... so it’s now been about 3.5 years since 4k blu ray came out. What’s people’s opinions on its success?

Since I bought my original ub900 I’ve gone to the ub820 , but I also use my Apple 4k tv box more times. Does the format have a future ?

It's suffering like Blu-Ray did in the past. Lack of market due to lack of availability. A vicious circle. Many films released are just upscaled too.

Caporegime
I sill think it's down to studios not killing dvd.

DVD is dying, albeit slowly. What will kill off all physical media is streaming. Pick and choose from the comfort of your Sofa without having to even get up and stream, your 4k movie with almost indistinguishable video and audio quality.

Soldato
DVD is dying, albeit slowly. What will kill off all physical media is streaming. Pick and choose from the comfort of your Sofa without having to even get up and stream, your 4k movie with almost indistinguishable video and audio quality.
At the moment it is distinguishable though. That's why there is still a demand for 4k discs. Why spend thousands on a TV and player to watch inferior streams? It's why the online disc rental services have seen a return.

Soldato
OP
so has your 4K disc ownership expanded as you thought .. were/are they too expensive ?
or, worse there's been an absence of new films you thought warranted a disc purchase

Well I’ve got 65 4k movies on disc ( sold a few ) and I’ve Been more choosey on purchases. But what’s held me back the most is Apple TV.

I’ve got 124 films on my uk account and 50 on my USA. Not all are 4k , but the majority are. The convenience factor and the PQ and cost of digital films vs disc means I’m buying more things for streaming.

Back
Top Bottom