Uskippable FMV sequences in games...

Man of Honour
Always boggles my mind on some of that stuff - was it Half-Life that on the first release had like 15 minutes of un-skippable videos on start up? some game around there I remember did fortunately they did a day 1 patch to fix it. (Though sucked to be anyone who didn't have internet access and had bought it on CD).

Soldato
OP
Always boggles my mind on some of that stuff - was it Half-Life that on the first release had like 15 minutes of un-skippable videos on start up? some game around there I remember did fortunately they did a day 1 patch to fix it. (Though sucked to be anyone who didn't have internet access and had bought it on CD).

"Black Mesa Inbound" is widely acknowledged to be a more positive moment in gaming history. It is paradoxical to the rest of the game.

Man of Honour
"Black Mesa Inbound" is widely acknowledged to be a more positive moment in gaming history. It is paradoxical to the rest of the game.

LOL - nah wasn't meaning that - might have the wrong game but I seem to remember the Valve logo.

Soldato
I know on some games, the movies are while it's loading. The ones when a game are first started are annoying when they can't be anything to do with loading. One of Gaming's deadly sins imo:p.

Associate
Even worse when cutscenes use crappy PS1 in game engine graphics and you have to press buttons to advance the scene dialogue so you can't even ignore it. Xenogears 1 disc 2 had multiple instances of this, 10 and 20 mins long, stopped playing the game entirely which till then had been a great RPG and felt like snapping the disc in two.

Soldato
Name & shame until developers cut it out. Far Cry 5 was a pain for stuff like this, forcing you into specific scenes every often as you progressed and I remember similar from the Assassin's Creed franchise years ago. Ubisoft: your card has been marked.

Associate
those blasted QTEs.

Now this is the game killer!
Played Dying Light and that game has the most perfect implementation of parkour, with excellent combat. You spend all game getting badass and then the final boss fight is a ****** quick time event! What a waste. Also didn't help that I died several times as I was distracted from playing it as it's all pre-rendered I thought it was just a movie then they suddenly throw in a 'press space or die' event.

Last edited:
Soldato
Now this is the game killer!
Played Dying Light and that game has the most perfect implementation of parkour, with excellent combat. You spend all game getting badass and then the final boss fight is a ****** quick time event! What a waste. Also didn't help that I died several times as I was distracted from playing it as it's all pre-rendered I thought it was just a movie then they suddenly throw in a 'press space or die' event.

Love the game, but yes, that ending was a big let down, couldn't quite believe it at the time!

I'm currently playing through it a second time, to play the DLC.

Soldato
I've always found this to be annoying too

And when you start a game, and it gives you no option at the start to turn of subtitles or gives you no control over any settings whatsoever - that's so annoying.

Soldato
Equally annoying is one press of a button by mistake skipping entire scenes. Should always be long hold button press to skip with the prompt hidden unless you press any key.

Soldato

The Half Life intro was truly revolutionary for its day though. It was all in game graphics, and set the game up for the actual story - both things that had never been done before (or at least not in a noticeable way). You’ve no idea just how jaw dropping the intro to Half Life was at the time!

Man of Honour
The Half Life intro was truly revolutionary for its day though. It was all in game graphics, and set the game up for the actual story - both things that had never been done before (or at least not in a noticeable way). You’ve no idea just how jaw dropping the intro to Half Life was at the time!

I wasn't referring to the transit intro - there was a game around that era that forced you to sit through over 5 minutes of credits and logos on startup and then the FMV intro which was over 5 minutes long every single time before you got to the menu even until they patched it. For some reason I thought it was the original version of HL as I'm sure it had the Valve logo in there but I've checked my original release disc and it isn't that.

Back
Top Bottom