Traditional Subscription TV... On it's death bed?

Associate
1080p is coming.

The sound quality gets me, and I'm no audiophile. Westworld sounded like it was playing through a Gameboy!

1080p has been coming for over a year, rivals offer 4k streaming and have done for ages.

Couldn't agree more about the sound, why it's not at least Dolby Digital 5.1, would make a big difference to the immersion and enjoyment of films and TV shows.

Caporegime
1080p has been coming for over a year, rivals offer 4k streaming and have done for ages.

Couldn't agree more about the sound, why it's not at least Dolby Digital 5.1, would make a big difference to the immersion and enjoyment of films and TV shows.
Sky need to be very careful that’s they don’t trip up in their main subscription offering via satellite. If they go too far they’ll lose their main subscription customers who bring in far more than their Now TV subs.

Soldato
OP
Sky need to be very careful that’s they don’t trip up in their main subscription offering via satellite. If they go too far they’ll lose their main subscription customers who bring in far more than their Now TV subs.

That is like Blockbuster not wanting to go too far into DVD by post incase it eats too much into their bricks and mortar stores...

Surely it is more a case of getting your foot in the door BEFORE everyone jumps ship and keeping your brand relevant.

Sky TV via satellite is not attractive to the younger demographic, surely pushing the NowTV model is more than in their best interests? However, pushing an half baked version will only mean Netflix/Amazon gain even more market share?

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't imagine Gen-Z are going to be buying traditional subscription TV packages are they? Do they even watch broadcast TV?
they're a fickle lot .. just need the right carrot .. a bit of love island ...basically as soon as the broadcats tv had decsended to the same lowest common denominator, they'll be back. (whose watching strictly / x-factor / gbbo etc too)

Caporegime
That is like Blockbuster not wanting to go too far into DVD by post incase it eats too much into their bricks and mortar stores...

Surely it is more a case of getting your foot in the door BEFORE everyone jumps ship and keeping your brand relevant.

Sky TV via satellite is not attractive to the younger demographic, surely pushing the NowTV model is more than in their best interests? However, pushing an half baked version will only mean Netflix/Amazon gain even more market share?
As some of you know I work for Sky. Last year they shared a stat that 90% of Now TV customers had never had Sky TV which I was very surprised about. And the number cancelling Sky and then going onto Now TV rather than a direct competitor such as BT TV or Virgin was also surprisingly low. Many non tech savvy people don't want apps and logins and more bills. Sure as younger people start out numbering older customers I can see the numbers swinging but at the moment sky still has a net increase year on year for about 6 years or so.

It should also be noted that older people are also more likely to still be using ADSL with speeds of less than 10 Meg or perhaps a non smart TV which doesn't really promote Netflix Amazon prime etc and just want 'TV' which is channels 1-5 and a few others and the ability to record.

Soldato
On the subject of Now TV, in case anyone didn't know you can now use your Tesco Clubcard vouchers to get 3x the value in Now TV vouchers e.g. a £5 in Clubcard vouchers converts to £15 which gets added to your "wallet" on your Now TV account and can be used instead of your normal payment details. Combined with the seemingly never-ending retention deals they offer, it's a pretty cheap way of subscribing.

Soldato
I have switched to Nowtv broadband as they match Skytv for phone/broadband performance/cost but dont charge the ridiculous setup fee/postage for the router, a saving of £30. Not using Nowtv for viewing though as it is pretty awful quality, have to LOL at '1080p is coming' its been here (usa) since 1998 in HDTV. Nowtv is ok if streaming in 1080p. Just watched some box sets on Now tv and there where no adverts.

Caporegime
I have switched to Nowtv broadband as they match Skytv for phone/broadband performance/cost but dont charge the ridiculous setup fee/postage for the router, a saving of £30. Not using Nowtv for viewing though as it is pretty awful quality, have to LOL at '1080p is coming' its been here (usa) since 1998 in HDTV. Nowtv is ok if streaming in 1080p. Just watched some box sets on Now tv and there where no adverts.
1080p via streaming is coming.

Like I said Now TV is Sky owned so need to be very careful not to step on the toes of their main Satellite subscription service.

Soldato
OP
1080p via streaming is coming.

At this stage though, should they not be looking at 4K? It is a game of catchup at this point I guess.

At some point, without doubt, Sky will have to pull the trigger on a fully featured TV over IP service with all the bells and whistles BUT it is like a long distance race, when do you decide the time to push? Goto too soon, go too early... risk and reward with regards protecting their established business model but go too late and you Thomas Cook it.

Anyone know what happened to Sky's fully "Over the top" subscription TV over IP service?

Last edited:
Caporegime
At this stage though, should they not be looking at 4K? It is a game of catchup at this point I guess.

At some point, without doubt, Sky will have to pull the trigger on a fully featured TV over IP service with all the bells and whistles BUT it is like a long distance race, when do you decide the time to push? Goto too soon, go too early... risk and reward with regards protecting their established business model but go too late and you Thomas Cook it.

Anyone know what happened to Sky's fully "Over the top" subscription TV over IP service?

All I’ve heard internally is delay after delay. Not sure if it’s technical issues or just delayed because they don’t want to sell it or what though.

Associate
Is it potentially that nowtv 1080p would actually be better quality than a sky HD box itself as the non sky boxes only go to 1080i...so in theory lesser quality picture at much higher price ... Hence holding off.

It really does.feel behind the time a bit now and overly delayed.

Soldato
Its clearly regressing.

Looking at sky e.g.

The production quality of their content is going down which indicates cost cutting.
The subscription fees are rising rapidly year on year, this is to compensate for drop in subscribers.
This increase is especially apparent on the base packages which is likely to compensate for where most of the loss of subs is felt in the premium packages.

As the prices go up it moves further and further away from the average person been able to afford it.

Sky's entire model is about exclusivity as well, as they not willing to compete in other metrics, look at how they refused to allow f1tv to be a thing in the uk, and wont share movies with netflix etc.

However I also think scheduled tv in general is on its way out as well. The future is on demand content for scripted content. Live would be for news events and sport.

Sky world used to cost £15 maybe a decade or so ago, now if I were to ring up sky for the full package I would be paying the best part of a £100, that inflation is insanity, and the cost is ridiculous.

Also I see Am not the only one thats noticed that sky deliberately cripple their online content, the EPL highlights on their website is like what youtube used to be like in the 2000s, now tv has been a joke as well and thats a paid for service, yet when I watched highlights of the leics spurs game on lcfc website, it was proper hd with decent bitrate.

Soldato
I never watch "traditional" tv...

In terms of the legit way of paying for tv content, surely it will all be subscription based like Netflix soon enough.

I know Sky Sports are an absolute joke for cost vs someone like DAZN in the US when it comes to me personally, I would much rather pay to only view all Football an Boxing content for say 5.99/9.99 a month as opposed to probably £70 a month for Sky Sports and then have to pay Box Office on top of that

Soldato

Thats the mentality that killed blockbuster and thomas cook. You need to move with the times.

Caporegime
Thats the mentality that killed blockbuster and thomas cook. You need to move with the times.
Sky are well aware of the risks. They created Now TV years ago and have slowly improved it. Sky were one of the main reasons Blockbuster went bust with their box office offerings. Why go out when you can watch from the comfort of your sofa just by picking up your remote?

Caporegime
I never watch "traditional" tv...

In terms of the legit way of paying for tv content, surely it will all be subscription based like Netflix soon enough.

I know Sky Sports are an absolute joke for cost vs someone like DAZN in the US when it comes to me personally, I would much rather pay to only view all Football an Boxing content for say 5.99/9.99 a month as opposed to probably £70 a month for Sky Sports and then have to pay Box Office on top of that
You can have Sky Sports for half that. £22 for entertainment and £18 for sports.

Soldato
OP
You can have Sky Sports for half that. £22 for entertainment and £18 for sports.

The problem is, with the the current financial climate, lack of pay rises over many years, that £40 total eats into an household income more and more as years go by.

Yes, I understand that is not Sky's problem :p but still something to be considered I believe, especially when as a demographic, subscription TV was for a long time, associated with those on lower incomes as it was cheap entertainment.

Soldato
Sky are well aware of the risks. They created Now TV years ago and have slowly improved it. Sky were one of the main reasons Blockbuster went bust with their box office offerings. Why go out when you can watch from the comfort of your sofa just by picking up your remote?

NowTV doesnt give me the impression they want to be a market leader on iptv, the bitrate is horrid and its overpriced compared to competitors. You even said yourself their concern in regards to iptv is they dont make it too good to lose satellite subscribers.

On game of thrones illegal rips of the show were better quality than what was aired on NowTV.

Back
Top Bottom