• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Which power settings you used from the Calculator? Minimum, Recommended or Maximum?
Also have you selected the correct CPU which is Zen 2 not Ryzen 2? Have you selected the correct memory modules (b-die etc) and the correct rank and mobo chipset?
Have you let the calculator read your default memory settings?

Yes to all. I didn't use the max power voltages. Just recommended.

Should I try the max?

I think max was:

1.4v dram
1.125v Soc

VDDG and VPP I cant remember now, but when I put them in the values the dram calc gave me where wrong as the mobo automatically changed them. So I lost confidence in it.

The point is 3200MHz CL14 has a latency of 8.75ns and 3600MHz CL16 has a latency of 8.8ns so technically better off at 3200Hz.

The limiting factor here is probably my mobo. An x570 board would probably help here.

A few mentions on overclock.net of the new beta bios for my board improving ram overclockabilty.

But how can a bios update improve something which I would have thought is a hardware limitation?

Last edited:
Soldato
It's also pretty shady sending JayZ a pre-production board in full retain packaging without even notifying him.

Not particularly keen on Jay2cells but yeh, I think if anyone in the world received an item in retail packaging and without any notice that it wasn't a retail item it would be common sense to assume that said item was in fact, a retail item.

Soldato
Yes to all. I didn't use the max power voltages. Just recommended.

Should I try the max?

I think max was:

1.4v dram
1.125v Soc

VDDG and VPP I cant remember now, but when I put them in the values the dram calc gave me where wrong as the mobo automatically changed them. So I lost confidence in it.

The point is 3200MHz CL14 has a latency of 8.75ns and 3600MHz CL16 has a latency of 8.8ns so technically better off at 3200Hz.

The limiting factor here is probably my mobo. An x570 board would probably help here.

Try those settings marked with red.

tQlBoQY.png

Might need to up VDDP to 1.0, and DRAM have it at 1.456-1.458v

Soldato
Try those settings marked with red.

tQlBoQY.png

Might need to up VDDP to 1.0, and DRAM have it at 1.456-1.458v

Ok, I'll give it ago. Although the speed I am going for is 3600MHz.

I do know tho that my ram doesn't like 1.45v. It was causing instability. I've tried it. It felt like I was forcing it to be stable and eventually it just couldn't carry on any more and started crashing out.

I don't understand, becuase this 8 pack ram according to Gibbo/8 pack is the same bin as the 3600MHz CL16 stuff so should 'just work'.

16 16 16 16 36 1.35v. But I can tell you, it doesn't! I've gone up to 1.45v and still not stable.

But I can see what you've done in the screen shot. Max dram v, rec soc, max vddg as that is IF voltage, rec vddp, max proc odt and max cad bus.

I'll try it when I get home.

Actually, I can tell you now it wont let me set the max VDDG because it will be not be the right value with the SOC on the rec voltage.

---

See now this brings me back to something I mentioned ages ago. In the official AMD Ryzen master documentation they specify you should put VDDG to 1.1v when overclocking the ram.

But I was told that this was incorrect by people on these forums. Even the mobo highlights that value in red indicating it's a high value.

See page 34 for the screen shot from the Ryzen Maser documentation.

I'm going to try this again as a last resort. It did stabilize my system when I was using it, but I changed it because I was told this was not correct and was worried by the red VDDG value.

Last edited:
Soldato
See now this brings me back to something I mentioned ages ago. In the official AMD Ryzen master documentation they specify you should put VDDG to 1.1v when overclocking the ram.

But I was told that this was incorrect by people on these forums. Even the mobo highlights that value in red indicating it's a high value.

See page 34 for the screen shot from the Ryzen Maser documentation.

I'm going to try this again as a last resort. It did stabilize my system when I was using it, but I changed it because I was told this was not correct and was worried by the red VDDG value.

I've been told the same about 1.1v being too high for the VDDG.
This is what I set everything at so it basically done it itself.

SOC 1.1V
DOCP enabled
DDR voltage set to 1.4V
VTT set to 0.7V

Doing this, DOCP set it VDDG to 1.1481v.

Yep. Also where are those who were bashing AMD in this very discussion 3 days ago not accepting that Jay made a mistake?
@Things change I've changed where are you hiding? :D

I'm not hiding anywhere, I still whole hardheadedly stand by what I said, I wasn't defending Jay, I was applauding the fact he was making it known that building an Ryzen based system isn't as plain sailing as it is building an Intel system, as people have stated in this very thread, "AMD definitely has the more "beta" feel about it.", which is a sentiment I agree with.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's also pretty shady sending JayZ a pre-production board in full retain packaging without even notifying him.

I was waiting to see if anyone would say it instead of just bashing him, JayZ made a good point that if the board has a hardware difference "big enough" to break a production bios, then it can be argued he is not providing an accurate review to consumers.

Soldato
But what do people think of that official AMD documentation showing (specifying even) that VDDG should be set to 1.1v?

Page 34.

Do you trust AMD who built the CPU, or do you trust laymans on the internet who have no visibility under the hood.

For example what makes 1usmus word more trust worthy than an official document from AMD?

Case in point, the dram calc does not work for me.

I see it a bit like poker. You only have incomplete information to work with. Where as AMD can see the flop, the turn and the river card. As well as everyones hand.

Last edited:
Soldato
Surely if they say it is ok then I'm not sure what the issue is?
I've tried searching online about it but it just seems to pull up forum posts with some saying it is fine, Others saying it isn't
I know on my motherboard the voltages change colours depending on how high it gets Yellow, Magenta then red once pretty high. With manaully setting it to 1.1v it still sits in a white colour state.

Soldato
Surely if they say it is ok then I'm not sure what the issue is?
I've tried searching online about it but it just seems to pull up forum posts with some saying it is fine, Others saying it isn't
I know on my motherboard the voltages change colours depending on how high it gets Yellow, Magenta then red once pretty high. With manaully setting it to 1.1v it still sits in a white colour state.

Oh, OK. On my Asus, it goes red when I set 1.1v. Although that was one or two updates ago, will have to have a look again.

The issues stems form the fact that people say VDDG should be a certain amount less than SOC. And yet AMD say set them to 1.1v both.

Soldato
Oh, OK. On my Asus, it goes red when I set 1.1v. Although that was one or two updates ago, will have to have a look again.

The issues stems form the fact that people say VDDG should be a certain amount less than SOC. And yet AMD say set them to 1.1v both.

What board are you using? I'll double check when I get in and report back. Unless it just stays white when the system automatically changes it, Pretty certain it still changes colour. I'm starting to doubt myself now!

Soldato
I was sent this guide from someone on Reddit to help me along the way.
https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/master/DDR4 OC Guide.md

It states:
On Ryzen 3000, there's also CLDO_VDDG (not to be confused with CLDO_VDDP), which is the voltage to the Infinity Fabric. I've read that SOC voltage should be at least 40mV above CLDO_VDDG, but other than that there's not much information about it.

Most cLDO voltages are regulated from the two main power rails of the CPU. In case of cLDO_VDDG and cLDO_VDDP, they are regulated from the VDDCR_SoC plane. Because of this, there are couple rules. For example, if you set the VDDG to 1.100V, while your actual SoC voltage under load is 1.05V the VDDG will stay roughly at 1.01V max. Likewise if you have VDDG set to 1.100V and start increasing the SoC voltage, your VDDG will raise as well. I don't have the exact figure, but you can assume that the minimum drop-out voltage (Vin-Vout) is around 40mV. Meaning you ACTUAL SoC voltage has to be at least by this much higher, than the requested VDDG for it to take effect as it is requested.
Adjusting the SoC voltage alone, unlike on previous gen. parts doesn't do much if anything at all. The default value is fixed 1.100V and AMD recommends keeping it at that level. Increasing the VDDG helps with the fabric overclocking in certain scenarios, but not always. 1800MHz FCLK should be doable at the default 0.9500V value and for pushing the limits it might be beneficial to increase it to =< 1.05V (1.100 - 1.125V SoC, depending on the load-line).

Back
Top Bottom