• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***** AORUS DID NOT INVENT THE GRAPHICS CARD, THEY PERFECTED IT! RTX 2000 SERIES!! *****

Associate
Very strange, if the card is not the version which has Samsung memory the BIOS update should work fine. When you try and install the BIOS do you get any error messages, for example does it ask you to close the AORUS Engine to update the BIOS?

Yeah it says close Aorus engine. It is not installed. Then says BIOS version does not match. Program then exits.

Associate
I have re-sent all the info to R&D, I have seen a similar issue. It could be related to registry entries from older versions of the AORUS Engine maybe, I will keep chasing my HQ.

Associate
Hi Seanyc5,

I have gone over the issues with my HQ now several times, they cant seem to replicate the issue. I think it has something to do with it possibly not being a fresh install of Windows maybe and old registry entries. The best option I can offer to resolve the issue for you quickly is to arrange to have the card pick up from you under RMA, tested, BIOS flashed or card replaced if needed and sent back to you. I will get this arranged at our cost.

I'm away this afternoon and wont be back until Monday, let me know if this is okay for you and I will arrange the RMA. Mail [email protected]... reference this conversation with me and I will get this all done ASAP so you should not be without your card for more than a few days.

Soldato
Hi Seanyc5,

I have gone over the issues with my HQ now several times, they cant seem to replicate the issue. I think it has something to do with it possibly not being a fresh install of Windows maybe and old registry entries. The best option I can offer to resolve the issue for you quickly is to arrange to have the card pick up from you under RMA, tested, BIOS flashed or card replaced if needed and sent back to you. I will get this arranged at our cost.

I'm away this afternoon and wont be back until Monday, let me know if this is okay for you and I will arrange the RMA. Mail [email protected]... reference this conversation with me and I will get this all done ASAP so you should not be without your card for more than a few days.

That's what you call service.

Associate
Hi Seanyc5,

@GIGA-Man Thanks you very much. I will get on it now and let them know how much of a help you are! If the new BIOS can bring my temps down that would be amazing as well!

This is already a recent install of Windows10 around 2 months old.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fingers crossed, if they also tuned the voltage curve as well so lower voltages for same clocks that might help as well, curious if gigabyte did that on the new bios.

Associate
Has anyone had any luck with the Aorus 2080ti on the stock cooler? Out of the box or with the newer bios?
People obviously had issues with the original batch but i am interested to know if these issues have been resolved

Soldato
Has anyone had any luck with the Aorus 2080ti on the stock cooler? Out of the box or with the newer bios?
People obviously had issues with the original batch but i am interested to know if these issues have been resolved

Don’t get me wrong I loved my arous but with the problems is was having and after spending £1300 quid on my his card I wasn’t expecting to he trouble I had I guess that’s wot happens when your a early adopter.

Associate
PSA: check your thermal paste. I've had my Windforce OC 2080ti since launch.

I noticed that it's thermal performance degraded heavily over time. I took apart the gpu and noticed that the thermal paste has completely dried up and crusted over. Like old toothpaste. I had to use my nail to chisel it off the die and heatsink. I'm disappointed at the level of quality for a 1000+ card.

I replaced it with some cheap paste and it's about 5c cooler now. I'll take it apart again and put Kyro on it and see how that goes.

Even then the heat dissipation of the stock fans is quite poor and the heatsink is just not good enough. This heatsink, like any heatsink, has a thermal limit that after while it's efficiency falls off a cliff and the fans start doing a scream of death trying to keep it all together. It's useless though because once a certain amount of heat is built up the heatpipes more or less fail and the card will thermal throttle routinely in extended sessions.

Along with the paste swap, I would set a custom voltage frequency curve that keeps your temps down below 80c and under a peak of 300w for extended sessions. The stock heatsink and fans can't dissipate more than 260/270w of sustained running. You'll need MSI afterburner for that.

A custom curve is not different than overclocking your cpu with a fixed vcore and frequency. The only difference is here as the card will still throttle down in steps as temps rise. There's no way to disable that part outside of keeping the core cool.

There Is *NO* fix for the heatsink/fan issue so if you really want low temps, get a AIO on it with a G12 or a custom loop. Thankfully with GPU dies being massive and thus greater surface area, keeping it cool even with a cheap AIO is more than enough and you don't need a high end water cooling setup at all.

In short, replace the stock thermal paste and set a custom frequency/voltage curve. You'll be happier for it for sustained gaming sessions for GPU intensive games.

@GIGA-Man I can't say that I'm a happy customer when such penny pinching happens on the paste for such an expensive card. In contrast, when I removed the cooler of my 2600k after many years of continuous use, the paste was still soft on both ends.

Last edited:
Associate
PSA: check your thermal paste. I've had my Windforce OC 2080ti since launch.

I noticed that it's thermal performance degraded heavily over time. I took apart the gpu and noticed that the thermal paste has completely dried up and crusted over. Like old toothpaste. I had to use my nail to chisel it off the die and heatsink. I'm disappointed at the level of quality for a 1000+ card.

I replaced it with some cheap paste and it's about 5c cooler now. I'll take it apart again and put Kyro on it and see how that goes.

Even then the heat dissipation of the stock fans is quite poor and the heatsink is just not good enough. This heatsink, like any heatsink, has a thermal limit that after while it's efficiency falls off a cliff and the fans start doing a scream of death trying to keep it all together. It's useless though because once a certain amount of heat is built up the heatpipes more or less fail and the card will thermal throttle routinely in extended sessions.

Along with the paste swap, I would set a custom voltage frequency curve that keeps your temps down below 80c and under a peak of 300w for extended sessions. The stock heatsink and fans can't dissipate more than 260/270w of sustained running. You'll need MSI afterburner for that.

A custom curve is not different than overclocking your cpu with a fixed vcore and frequency. The only difference is here as the card will still throttle down in steps as temps rise. There's no way to disable that part outside of keeping the core cool.

There Is *NO* fix for the heatsink/fan issue so if you really want low temps, get a AIO on it with a G12 or a custom loop. Thankfully with GPU dies being massive and thus greater surface area, keeping it cool even with a cheap AIO is more than enough and you don't need a high end water cooling setup at all.

In short, replace the stock thermal paste and set a custom frequency/voltage curve. You'll be happier for it for sustained gaming sessions for GPU intensive games.

@GIGA-Man I can't say that I'm a happy customer when such penny pinching happens on the paste for such an expensive card. In contrast, when I removed the cooler of my 2600k after many years of continuous use, the paste was still soft on both ends.

Noted, I've made sure any issue like this get fixed at our cost if they are raised to me.

Soldato
Gigabyte needs to fix their quality control - thermal paste issues shouldn’t happen on any card. For the low end models like the wind force I can understand average thermal performance because they priced quite low relative to others. But the high air cooled extreme have some serious issues - Gigabyte needs to re-evaluate it’s air coolers or start shipping all it’s cards with AIO water coolers

go to Gamers nexus and look they they have ripped XFX a new one for shipping an expensive card that has terrible thermal performance. That could be you Gigabyte next time, so please fix the air cooler that’s used on extreme cards.

Back
Top Bottom