OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
At least your kid will get the inheritance when he needs it, as parenting a teenager in your 60s will be 'tiring'..! Anyway, congratulations!

I did it the other way around, albeit not right at the end of the scale. 46 now, and the offspring is now 19. We've had a few epic nights out together!

Soldato
44 is ok I think. 50+ is too old

I'm almost 30 and definitely don't want a kid anytime soon. I probably will in the future though. 2 of my close mates are trying for kids at the moment so I suspect I'll feel the urge once they have kids a few years old

Associate
My dad was over 45 when he had me, his dad was even older. In a way I grew up with knowledge and lessons of the world wars and well boer war and still a millennial. I grew up with Fred Dibnah as a role model.

Associate
How many dads here make sure to read to their children every night?

We're about to have a speech therapist tomorrow for our nearly 2 year old.

Right now my other half seems to be blaming me for reading enough to her, but we have over 30 books which I've read to her multiple times.

We have flash cards and I play lots of counting games with her. It's not 24/7 but she's not even 2 and knows about 30 words and can string some minor sentences together.

I literally talk to her all the time but apparently I'm still not doing enough? Apparently because I do the nighttime routine it's my sole duty to educate her in everything?

Soldato
My brother had is first kid at 42, second at 44. You be fine :)

Forgot to add, my uncle had his second child at 52!!:eek: Which is abit of a weird one.

Last edited:
Associate

Right now my other half seems to be blaming me for reading enough to her, but we have over 30 books which I've read to her multiple times.

We have flash cards and I play lots of counting games with her. It's not 24/7 but she's not even 2 and knows about 30 words and can string some minor sentences together.

I literally talk to her all the time but apparently I'm still not doing enough? Apparently because I do the nighttime routine it's my sole duty to educate her in everything?

I know kids that are over 2 years old that don't speak a single word. Don't stress about it, kids all develop at their own rate.

Associate
I'm 44 and about to become a Dad for the first time

I'm now worried I'm going to be too old? Am I worrying unduly, or should I just get on with it like Mick Jagger does
The fact that you are worried about it shows that you'll be fine. Do your best and be a dad rather than just some guy with a kid..

Soldato

Sounds like unreasonable blame there, tell her to calm down and stop being unreasonable? Do you read to them most nights? We do, mostly because we just enjoy it more than anything.

Soldato

I'd be reminding her that your child has 2 parents not one. It's beyond unreasonable for her to put everything on you

My wife and I share 'duties' as I work shifts so it's not always possible

Our daughter was probably about the same as your is at that age. She's nearly 3 and you can't shut her up now, be careful what you wish for :p

Don

Sounds a load of codswallop. We read sporadically to ours, my eldest now reads to us... I can't see it having any bearing on their speech.

Soldato
Its a load of ********, kids learn at there own rate.

My daughter was walking at 9 months and my friends was walking at 14 months, hes saying phases but doesnt understand mines saying short words but understands everything.

kids will learn at there own pace

Back
Top Bottom