Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Permabanned
Can someone clarify the 50m / 150m rule for me, please?

There is a local landmark that is about to be demolished, I would like to grab some aerial footage before it goes.

Am I able to legally fly over and around this?

OTsnbUK.png

Caporegime

There is a local landmark that is about to be demolished, I would like to grab some aerial footage before it goes.

OTsnbUK.png

I would imagine as long as you're not close to houses then can't see why not, if it's going to be demolished it's not as if in the event of the drone crashing into it that anything is going to be affected.

Think this is more where common sense has to be applied more so than adhering exactly to the rules.

Soldato

I would class that as a "built-up area", in which case, to be strict to the rules, you shouldn't be flying anywhere near it. Will you get in to bother? probably not.

Caporegime
Bought a used inspire 1 a few weeks back, didn't realise certain parts for this were like hens teeth. DJI initially released this with a spin on prop system like the phantoms, seems some people didn't spin it on all the way and had a few crashes which made DJI redesign the prop mounts and props (numerous times). So for a while there was a large cluster of different props and mounting systems and you had to get specific props for specific mounts, most of them now are all phased out.

Looking for made by DJI props for the inspire 1 is really hard, sometimes you can find a set of props that use a totally different mounting system. Third party one's seem easier to come by.

Flies really well though and is much much much easier to keep tabs on in the air than any other drone i've used so far, not exactly inconspicuous with it's size (though saying that it's not all that big, more the profile makes it more noticable).

Awaiting delivery of a second hand x5 and lens next week, even finding the new vibration gimbal plate for the x5 camera was a long search online before finally finding a place in germany that sold them. DJI just seems to have stopped making spares for this making parts much harder to come by.

Don
Something I've been wanting to do for a while but never seemed to find the time was designing and building my own quad from scratch.
Well, I finally had the time.

Meet MPQC110 (Mostly Printed Quad Copter - 110mm)

She's a 110mm frame running 1104 4000kw motors swinging 2036 props.
FC is a Matek F411-ONE
ESC is a Quad 12A thing with BLHeli (can't remember the brand)

The sections all clip together making maintenance easy. The top piece that holds the battery uses cable ties to keep it on the frame just in case the clips give out.
The camera is tiltable from 0 degrees to 90 degrees.

Weight without battery is 81g

Looking forward to tuning her and getting some flight time in. I'll be using a 900mAh 3S battery so should have loads of power.

QJe2ScD.jpg

UBAAIo6.jpg

rArAZoQ.jpg

UmlPD1F.jpg

NhT1HNC.jpg

Don
There's 0.5mm clearance. Should be fine.
I probably won't get a change to fly it properly until the weekend. I might hover it and do a basic PID tune in my garden before then though.

Soldato
Recently spent a week in Cornwall and was flying my mates Mavic pro and Mavic Enterprise . Had a great time and really got the bug.. I have had some cheaper mini ones in the past and have flown planes/copters in the past so it all came pretty natural to me . But was blown away by the video and camera quality . I now fancy picking one up used and i know it makes sence to get a Mavic pro 2 but struggle to see them priced under 900 and i can get a Mavic pro with flymore for between 500-600 . Its mostly for taking pictures and some fun flying . While i was down he gave me his old Bebop2 which was a load of fun and not bad video quality .. Any opinions on where to jump ? Get a pro now or wait and get a mavic 2 ? Also with the rule change at the end of the year anything i need to know ?

Soldato
Having had a Mavic 2 and also a small fleet of custom built drones, if your after a flying camera then the Mavic Pro (none 2) will be more than enough, if your budget allows go for the Mavic 2, but bare in mind they hold their value really well.

If on the other hand you want fun then I'd consider looking at FPV, you can easily build a digital fpv system using the DJI goggles on a micro 3" quad for less than you'd pay for second hand Mavic 2. Not only would it be incredibly fun and fast but it also records in 1080p 60fps direct to sdcard on the drone and goggles.

Alternatively a basic analogue setup can be had for ~£300 Chuck a GoPro on it and your golden.

Caporegime

Go to 11:49, talk about getting lucky. :eek:

He goes on about the sensors, but afaik they are only all active in tripod mode, outside of that its front\back only.

Caporegime

Looks a bit mad, can go full pelt and still have all the sensors going with a 1 metre sensor "bubble" around the drone. Strange they seem to be using the parrot anafi controller for it, which doesn't come with it.

Back
Top Bottom