Got water under my floorboards and found this.

Associate
OP
What is the floor construction?

If suspended timber, check external ground levels
. Yes it’s suspended, I live half way down a hill in a terraced house, so water table levels shouldn’t be an issue? And air bricks are above ground level.

How much water are we talking here?
originally when I first opened up the floor I removed over 200 litres of water and it slower replaces itself.

I have opened up more of my floor and now have the thing outhttps://photos.app.goo.gl/sTyFuiGj8mzUnrhA8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/d92pBDxiVbkPSwji7

Associate
OP
Looks like an old water meter maybe? Google the name on it. Doubt its related if it was just loose in the rubble/ground

Yes, just left lying there, on original siting I couldn’t tell if it was connected.
No numbers on it for it to be a meter, it’s been suggested to me it could be an old central heating pump.
I couldn’t decipher what it’s name etc was.

Associate
It does look like a central heating pump.

Definitely an old pump.

No idea how you'd get that much water under the floor without noticing.
Do you have a water meter in the path? Make sure your taps are off and see if the water meter spins, there's a little star on them which is very sensitive to flow so it should be noticeable.

Associate
OP
Definitely an old pump.

No idea how you'd get that much water under the floor without noticing.
Do you have a water meter in the path? Make sure your taps are off and see if the water meter spins, there's a little star on them which is very sensitive to flow so it should be noticeable.
I only bought the house recently and been trying to sort a damp issue, so by process of elimination I have arrived at this point.
No water meter it’s an 1893 mid terraced house.

The water is localised to the one room.
Got a plumber coming out on Saturday, so hopefully he can sort something.

Soldato
I agree it could be an old central heating pump. My floorboards are suspended too and I know for a fact that the old pump from the old solid fuel central heating is still under there. The central heating bods just by-passed it and popped the floorboard back down. In fact it's still connected to the switch on the wall and makes a funny noise if I switch it on :p

Soldato
I found water under my suspended floor and found that after heavy rain water was seeping in round a waste pipe that had been punched through the wall below ground level. I basically dug out outside and improved the drainage.

Associate
It might be an old water meter, I have one in a building we own at work, however, it's unlikely to be connected (how would you read it under the floor?!?) and the same goes for a pump, why put it there making access a problem to repair!

200 litres is a lot. It's probably one of these:

1. Leaking incoming mains (you've mentioned 1893) so more than likely part of the supply pipe, if not all, is lead. Could have gone.
2. Waste pipe somewhere cracked and leaking in there - sink/shower/bath etc.
3. Source from outside, via air bricks or damage

Hopefully the plumber will trace the leak! Let us know!

Back
Top Bottom